Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried, am I sick or do I have anxiety  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Veronica

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Worried, am I sick or do I have anxiety
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:35:09 PM »
Hello! I'm new here and I'm trying to figure out if I have anxiety or if It's something else. I had one doctor mention anxiety and another who wants to do a ct scan to see if something else is going on. It all started a few weeks ago with a trip to the emergency room. (Actually it started months ago, I've been having frequent diarrhea.) I felt like I was going to pass out every time I stood up, had left arm pain and numbness and felt that there was really something wrong. They did blood tests and an EKG and said it was a virus and dehydration gave me fluids, said if my arm was still bothering me to see someone about a pinched nerve and sent me home. A few days later I still was not feeling well (freaking out actually, afraid something was really wrong with me) so went to the doctor who mentioned anxiety and said I should get a full checkup. She also gave me a perscription for Xanax, which I have been to scared to take.  The week after that I felt great. Then I started feeling like crap again,feeling like I'm going to faint, lower right abdominal pain, frequent urination,tired, and still with diarrhea and no appetite. I had my checkup yesterday and the doctor wants to do a ct scan. I hate to pay for such an expensive test (my deductible is high) if I am just having anxiety and IBS. (all my blood, urine and other samples were normal) And I worry about being exposed to radiation needlessly. I don't know what to do. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms with anxiety? Also, I plan on talking to my doctor about maybe doing an ultrasound instead but she is not in until Monday. I am feeling very anxious and am considering taking a Xanax. Is that safe to do if it is something medically is wrong with me and not all just anxiety? And does Xanax help? I've never liked taking pills, they seem to affect me more than others.
I wonder, am I feeling so bad because of anxiety or am I anxious because something is really wrong with me?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xalatimo

• Rec's: 40
  • Live.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried, am I sick or do I have anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:52:03 PM »
It sounds like it could be anxiety.  Feeling faint and having some numbness could just be signs that you're hyperventilating.  And the fact that you're scared of the CT scan and taking the medication sort of proves it too, at least in my eyes.  You should get the CT scan done though.  I doubt anything will be abnormal but it's always good to rule out everything else first.  Once that comes back clear you can then begin to work on the anxiety.  If you don't like the idea of a CT scan, suggest the idea of an MRI to your doctor.

About the Xanax, you can try and take it when you're anxious and see if it helps.  It does help a lot of people relax.  Good luck.
Bookmark and Share
-X-

Offline Veronica

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:31:38 AM »
Could someone tell me how Xanax makes you feel? I know it's supposed to relax me, but will I be able to function or will it just make me want to sleep?
Bookmark and Share

Offline decenda

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »
sorry it has taken so long to respond...
but xanax might make you a bit drowsy but I doubt it would make you want to go to sleep.  To me  (everyones experience may be different) it feels like it turns down my brain by a few notches.  And in a delightful way, not a bad way.  It cuts back on the RACING thoughts and makes them more... lightly jogging.. if that makes sense :)   You will be able to function just fine.  If you are worried, take half the dose they prescribed and see what it does, and then take the other half if you feel like it. 

Just dont try to drink any alcohol while you are taking xanax as it amplifies the booze effects

Bookmark and Share

Tags: