Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: unable to concentrate  (Read 14852 times)

Offline angeliz

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
unable to concentrate
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:07:43 AM »
Does others here have a severe abiity unable to concentrate??? My husband said this morning he has noticed that I havent been able to focus on one thing. I do feel OVERWHELMED witht thought. My mind goes from one place to another. Even silly easy things as to where to where to put certian things on shelves, clothes to wear, sentences to write, words to say???
Bookmark and Share

Offline laa43

• Rec's: 14
    • Poke This Member
Re: unable to concentrate
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »
Yes, yes, and.........YES! I have been having that problem lately also!!!!!
Bookmark and Share
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are mere trivial things compared to what lies within us"....Emerson

Offline jennBunny5

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »
i second that yes yes and yes.

when people are one on one with me i sit there and here the first ..um...maybe 3 sentences or so...after that my mind just wanders with my worries...then i hear "hey...hello..did you even hear me?" or a question like "sooo, what do you think i should do?" i try to play it off like i have been all ears...but no way...i can only try and think back to what was first said. I feel bad but cannot help it.
i also find myself not being able to recall a full moment without losing my train of thought. My best friend says that worries her because i always stop and then ask...what was i saying again?
And angeliz...i completely understand you on the where to put things. I'll put something away and then think it shouldnt go there because of one reason or another, and stress about where it really belongs, or that my closet feels messy, so then i end up buying things i'll use for a week or two, and then decide that i do not like it.
So yesss...i am in with you ladies.
the only thing is...how do we get ourselves to focus, without becoming overwhelmed??
Bookmark and Share
"Times are getting crazy, times are hard,I shall not lose strength, I shall not lose heart. Pick up my bow and arrow now & shoot for stars I shall never fold my house of cards."

Offline kitkat1228

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:16:19 PM »
me too  :yes: times a thousand.

it's really frustrating too because i know i have not always been like this. i used to be on top of things, and play Jeopardy and remember conversations word for word. just since my panic attacks started my mind has gone out the window. still not sure how exactly i finished school in this state...

the only thing i've found that really helps is to have something in writing as much as possible. like, if my boyfriend is telling me something i need to remember, i ask him to write it down or send me an email with it. if i've actually read the words i can visualize them and remember more. we had a lot of arguments about this, because i was convinced he had NEVER told me somethings, and it was just that i didn't remember it at all. (although sometimes i think he is convinced he says something when he doesn't).
Bookmark and Share

Offline angeliz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:20:26 AM »
Wow, it helps me to see that i am not the only one with these issues. I have scared myself into a panic that I have a brain tumor...causing me not to remember, being emotional from one minute to the next at times, angry out burst, forgetful, unable to concentrate on all like you guys mentioned, tremors inside, and then when my husband said to me yesterday.."Its obvious you cant seem to focus on one thing for any amount of time", then I thought Oh, so others are noticing it so something must be really wrong with me. I asked him what he meant to clarify and he said hes been "observing" me and I cant seem to make small decisions. He said Ill be doing one thing and stop and then go over and do something else and then stop and back to what ever....and all at the same time have this look like Im totally lost WHICH I DO feel when I am like this. My mind seems to be a thousand places at once and I just truely feel I am going in circles. EVERYDAY. We have just made a big move. My son is getting married this coming weekend, and I am exhausted. BUT I have been dealing with this for a while now. Quite a while. I have these tremors where my whole insides shake all the time. I have been having blurry like vison come and go in my right eye, but Ive blamed it on sinus trying NOT to relate it to the BT thing. With all these things going on in my life, then I have the constant thoughts of WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline SAHM_2

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
ABsolutely. That's one of the symptoms that I hated the most. Racing, racing, racing thoughts all the time. Couldn't relax hardly EVER. Couldn't live in the moment. Racing thoughts at bedtime, when I was trying to cook dinner, when I was driving in the car, when I was sitting in church, after having a conversation with someone, etc. etc. It was literally driving me crazy. I've been taking Paxil for several weeks now and the severity of the racing thoughts has drastically reduced, thank goodness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopelessromantic

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 04:31:39 PM »
I call them my "low concentration days" ....and I really feel like a space cadet! It's like my responses are always 5-10 seconds delayed because after someone speaks to me I have to "digest" it before responding....it's worse at work because I don't want to "screw up" so I try really hard to pay attention....and another thing I've noticed that is: whenever I have to really really concentrate on something, like reading (esp. studying a chapter of a textbook in school back in those days) it makes me incredibly sleepy!  :yawn:
Bookmark and Share

Offline groovy

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hyper
    Hyper
  • "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »
Even silly easy things as to where to where to put certian things on shelves, clothes to wear, sentences to write, words to say???

are you kidding me?? this is just exactly like me 4 weeks ago this is actually my FEAR, the inability to concentrate on simpliest task.

I started having these "fluffy white cloud thoughts" (pass by thoughts. it just feel like they pass by and remind you of something like you had a fear of this or a fear of that during a particular task you are working on) and i fear them so much coz i feel that when these thoughts pop in, i wouldn't be able to concentrate on my task. when we find ourselves unable to concentrate on simpliest things, anxiety is totally responsible for it. you know you want to do this and be able to focus on doing that.. but anxiety wants to be part of every single thing you do and wants all your attention to whatever your current fear is; that's why its hard to think about happy thoughts, or even keeping them long in our heads. the key is recognition-- we are unable to concentrate on things or we have racy thoughts because of anxiety. its not us, its the anxiety. if we aren't anxious at the first place, then we wouldn't be in this situation.

Bookmark and Share
-groovy-

Offline nemesis

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
This inability to concentrate and especially remember events has become my number one fear over the past couple of years. The attentional difficulties pervade every aspect of my life at the moment and it's affecting everything from my speech (I always seem to be bumble and slur my words and have difficulties following a train of thought), through to my ability to learn new tasks at work and pay attention to things that have been said to me. The concern regarding the cognitive difficulties has even lead me to develop a secondary fear over the possibility of developing the early stages of schizophrenia, as similar cognitive / attentional traits are a hallmark of that disorder.

These problems do however abate dramatically when I'm in a novel situation. When I'm out with friends for instance, and my attention is focused externally rather than internally on worry. This leaves me wondering the attentional problems could actually be the result of chronic internalized focus. Anxiety and the constant focus on trying to control my racing thoughts and ruminations is bound to affect my ability to interact with and absorb what is happening in my environment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopelessromantic

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 01:30:08 PM »
It was very hard for me to concentrate today - I was giving a piano lesson and you kinda have to pay close attention to that, I just listen for wrong notes but then the student asked me something and I was lost for a sec or two.....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Josie

• Josie
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:00:02 AM »
Ihave lost concentration multiple times during the day.  I can't remeber what I was saying, where I was going, what was I doing, what someoe was taling about, what did I need, etc.....   It is frustrating.  I would have to put stick notes on my steering wheel so I can keep track of what I needed to do while I was out.  Sometimes it worked.
It made my anxiety way worse for where I felt out of control with my mind because I couldn't keep control of me or the things/people around me. 
Ii hope you can find a way to get control of concentration, whether it be medicatian, meditation, scheduales, etc.... or combined.  It will get better.  They are phases we go through.  The rollecoster of our lives. :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
Josie

Offline Anxiousandtired

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 01:44:07 AM »
I was on valium for a long time for my anxiety and my family blamed the valium for my speech slurring, forgetting what I was saying in the middle of it (embarrassing, especially at work), total loss of short-term memory, but I'm not on valium anymore and I'm going downhill fast.  I've had diarreah for three months now (constant) and am having a colonoscopy and gastroscopy in a few days time.  Its only in the last few days I've come to the realisation that they may not find anything wrong with me - the diarrhea could be a result of my anxiety levels  :(.  To be honest I'd be relieved if they told me I had bowel cancer or something equally serious, rather than knowing that the cause was emotional (to me that is harder to live with).  I've been doing CBT with no success and my anxiety is getting worse because I have a migraine every day.  The gastroenterologist said the increase in migraines is probably because I'm severely dehydrated.  she said I would have to be dehydrated, as I would never be able to get the fluids back into me that are being lost all day every day.  My hands shake very badly and I have jelly legs.  I have to say how interested I was in people's posts about sleeping too much, cause that's what I do.  After only being awake half the day, I suddenly feel exhausted on the weekends (or most often I have developed a full blown migraine by lunchtime) and I go to bed and most times sleep until about 5.30pm.  In that time, my husband has gone out and done the grocery shopping, taken our daughter out playing, cooked dinner, etc and I've missed out on everything.  This is bringing me further down into the hole of depression.  I feel socially isolated.  I look around at housework that needs to be done (ordinarily I'm a clean freak and very house proud) but I am SO LETHARGIC  :sick0002: I can't bring myself to get anything done.  Instead I procrastinate!  Instead of just getting on calmly with things around the house, I find myself just standing in the loungeroom completely lost just staring at the TV.  Then when I realise what I'm doing I feel guilty for being lazy and/or feeling sick all the time and having this extreme lethargy.  I really need help.  I've tried ***** so many times it isn't funny and the realisation that I can't run away from this makes it even scarier.  Sometimes I think perhaps life would be easier for me if I felt well - I really believe that, but I don't seem to be able to get proper help as far as my migraines go and I've been left with diarrhea for three months which is ridiculous to the point of dehydration.  Now its a big emergency and I have to get up to the hospital in just a few days so they can try and work out what is wrong with me.  Anyway, I think I'm preparing myself for them to find nothing physical.  I just don't know how to fix it if its emotional.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Josie

• Josie
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 03:21:56 AM »
Dear Anxious and tired,
My prayers go out for you. I have been there. Not with the major diarrhea, though.  Try to keep yourself hydrated. You can use Gatorade, or Propel Water.  Something to help with electrolytes.  Talk to your doctor first about Gatorade. It caused my husband migraines. ( For those of you who  use Gatorade  just because, be careful. )
Stress and anxiety can take a toll an a body in many different ways.  Try and discuss different medications to replace the Valium and /or discuss with your therapist a different twist in your CBT.
Those days you mentioned about concentration many of us know 100% of what you are talking about.  Try to find time where you are number one for an hour or two and just do what you want or need to do.  DO NOT disturb moments to get your mind refocused. 
When things get anxious, step back, take a deep breathe, relax your brain, slowly let the information come back to gether and focus.  Try not to get riled up if you can't remember.  Relax and focus on what comes to your mind. 
It may take some time and a few steps.  Getting hard on yourself will not help at this pont.
You are important and so are your thoughts and the activiites you do during the day.  Try to make a scheduale and keep it handly.  (Sometimes I have to write a note just to remind myself why I went down stairs or why I am in the bathroom.) 
You may have to much on your plate at this time.  Prioritize your time and your mind.  What are you responsible for and what can others be resonsible for.  What are some things that can lighten you load? 
Don't forget to have fun.  In the good and try to find humor when things are down. Put on a smile just because you can.  It doesn't matterhow you feel, put on a smile and see how your day goes.
I will do it today all day.  It's a Monday,if anything can go wrong, it can happen on a Monday.  Will you do it too.  Let me know.
Everything I wrote is advise or suggestions.  You are free to take it or leave it.  I pray that God guides you through this at this time in your life.
Sincerly,
Josie

Bookmark and Share
Josie

Offline apple

• Rec's: 14
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 06:22:04 PM »
Losing thoughts is so scary.  I used to be petrified that I would end up with altymers and forget my family.  My short term memory is shot and I forget names as soon as I am told them.  I have finaly accepted it tho.  The people close to me know about it.  The famous "what was I talking about".  I have started to make fun of it.  Mid sentance saying "Um...yeah, I lost it" and shrug my shoulders makes everyone laugh.

My husband bought me a hand held recording machine from walmart for christmas.  I was so excited!  So now when I need to do something or remember something I just record it when I think of it and listen to it one by one getting things done.  I seem to always forget where I put the piece of paper  I write stuff on..but manage to keep my recorder in my purse or pocket.  It has helped me a lot.

Anxious and tired...I truely hope things are ok for you.  I know it would be so much easier to accept if it was something bad, maybe even fixable.  Whatever it is..you have support here.
Bookmark and Share
I hope everyone could suffer less by knowing more

Tags: