Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: unable to concentrate  (Read 15258 times)

Offline angeliz

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
unable to concentrate
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:07:43 AM »
Does others here have a severe abiity unable to concentrate??? My husband said this morning he has noticed that I havent been able to focus on one thing. I do feel OVERWHELMED witht thought. My mind goes from one place to another. Even silly easy things as to where to where to put certian things on shelves, clothes to wear, sentences to write, words to say???
Bookmark and Share

Offline laa43

• Rec's: 14
    • Poke This Member
Re: unable to concentrate
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »
Yes, yes, and.........YES! I have been having that problem lately also!!!!!
Bookmark and Share
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are mere trivial things compared to what lies within us"....Emerson

Offline jennBunny5

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »
i second that yes yes and yes.

when people are one on one with me i sit there and here the first ..um...maybe 3 sentences or so...after that my mind just wanders with my worries...then i hear "hey...hello..did you even hear me?" or a question like "sooo, what do you think i should do?" i try to play it off like i have been all ears...but no way...i can only try and think back to what was first said. I feel bad but cannot help it.
i also find myself not being able to recall a full moment without losing my train of thought. My best friend says that worries her because i always stop and then ask...what was i saying again?
And angeliz...i completely understand you on the where to put things. I'll put something away and then think it shouldnt go there because of one reason or another, and stress about where it really belongs, or that my closet feels messy, so then i end up buying things i'll use for a week or two, and then decide that i do not like it.
So yesss...i am in with you ladies.
the only thing is...how do we get ourselves to focus, without becoming overwhelmed??
Bookmark and Share
"Times are getting crazy, times are hard,I shall not lose strength, I shall not lose heart. Pick up my bow and arrow now & shoot for stars I shall never fold my house of cards."

Offline kitkat1228

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:16:19 PM »
me too  :yes: times a thousand.

it's really frustrating too because i know i have not always been like this. i used to be on top of things, and play Jeopardy and remember conversations word for word. just since my panic attacks started my mind has gone out the window. still not sure how exactly i finished school in this state...

the only thing i've found that really helps is to have something in writing as much as possible. like, if my boyfriend is telling me something i need to remember, i ask him to write it down or send me an email with it. if i've actually read the words i can visualize them and remember more. we had a lot of arguments about this, because i was convinced he had NEVER told me somethings, and it was just that i didn't remember it at all. (although sometimes i think he is convinced he says something when he doesn't).
Bookmark and Share

Offline angeliz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:20:26 AM »
Wow, it helps me to see that i am not the only one with these issues. I have scared myself into a panic that I have a brain tumor...causing me not to remember, being emotional from one minute to the next at times, angry out burst, forgetful, unable to concentrate on all like you guys mentioned, tremors inside, and then when my husband said to me yesterday.."Its obvious you cant seem to focus on one thing for any amount of time", then I thought Oh, so others are noticing it so something must be really wrong with me. I asked him what he meant to clarify and he said hes been "observing" me and I cant seem to make small decisions. He said Ill be doing one thing and stop and then go over and do something else and then stop and back to what ever....and all at the same time have this look like Im totally lost WHICH I DO feel when I am like this. My mind seems to be a thousand places at once and I just truely feel I am going in circles. EVERYDAY. We have just made a big move. My son is getting married this coming weekend, and I am exhausted. BUT I have been dealing with this for a while now. Quite a while. I have these tremors where my whole insides shake all the time. I have been having blurry like vison come and go in my right eye, but Ive blamed it on sinus trying NOT to relate it to the BT thing. With all these things going on in my life, then I have the constant thoughts of WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline SAHM_2

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
ABsolutely. That's one of the symptoms that I hated the most. Racing, racing, racing thoughts all the time. Couldn't relax hardly EVER. Couldn't live in the moment. Racing thoughts at bedtime, when I was trying to cook dinner, when I was driving in the car, when I was sitting in church, after having a conversation with someone, etc. etc. It was literally driving me crazy. I've been taking Paxil for several weeks now and the severity of the racing thoughts has drastically reduced, thank goodness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopelessromantic

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 04:31:39 PM »
I call them my "low concentration days" ....and I really feel like a ***** cadet! It's like my responses are always 5-10 seconds delayed because after someone speaks to me I have to "digest" it before responding....it's worse at work because I don't want to "screw up" so I try really hard to pay attention....and another thing I've noticed that is: whenever I have to really really concentrate on something, like reading (esp. studying a chapter of a textbook in school back in those days) it makes me incredibly sleepy!  :yawn:
Bookmark and Share

Offline groovy

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hyper
    Hyper
  • "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »
Even silly easy things as to where to where to put certian things on shelves, clothes to wear, sentences to write, words to say???

are you kidding me?? this is just exactly like me 4 weeks ago this is actually my FEAR, the inability to concentrate on simpliest task.

I started having these "fluffy white cloud thoughts" (pass by thoughts. it just feel like they pass by and remind you of something like you had a fear of this or a fear of that during a particular task you are working on) and i fear them so much coz i feel that when these thoughts pop in, i wouldn't be able to concentrate on my task. when we find ourselves unable to concentrate on simpliest things, anxiety is totally responsible for it. you know you want to do this and be able to focus on doing that.. but anxiety wants to be part of every single thing you do and wants all your attention to whatever your current fear is; that's why its hard to think about happy thoughts, or even keeping them long in our heads. the key is recognition-- we are unable to concentrate on things or we have racy thoughts because of anxiety. its not us, its the anxiety. if we aren't anxious at the first place, then we wouldn't be in this situation.

Bookmark and Share
-groovy-

Offline nemesis

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
This inability to concentrate and especially remember events has become my number one fear over the past couple of years. The attentional difficulties pervade every aspect of my life at the moment and it's affecting everything from my speech (I always seem to be bumble and slur my words and have difficulties following a train of thought), through to my ability to learn new tasks at work and pay attention to things that have been said to me. The concern regarding the cognitive difficulties has even lead me to develop a secondary fear over the possibility of developing the early stages of schizophrenia, as similar cognitive / attentional traits are a hallmark of that disorder.

These problems do however abate dramatically when I'm in a novel situation. When I'm out with friends for instance, and my attention is focused externally rather than internally on worry. This leaves me wondering the attentional problems could actually be the result of chronic internalized focus. Anxiety and the constant focus on trying to control my racing thoughts and ruminations is bound to affect my ability to interact with and absorb what is happening in my environment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopelessromantic

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 01:30:08 PM »
It was very hard for me to concentrate today - I was giving a piano lesson and you kinda have to pay close attention to that, I just listen for wrong notes but then the student asked me something and I was lost for a sec or two.....
Bookmark and Share

Tags: