Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Amitriptyline 25mg  (Read 65647 times)

Offline Bronte

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Amitriptyline 25mg
« on: June 29, 2006, 01:41:46 PM »
My doctor has given me 25mg of Amitriptyline tablets to take either 1 or 2 at bedtime.  I started them the night before last night (only took 1) and then yesterday strated with a cough and today, feel like I have a chest infection or something going on (coughing up gunk which I think is coming from my nose and down the back).
Of course I googled it ..... one of the sites said it can cause a dry mouth another said not to take if you have asthma (which I have) and then the really scary one said an allergic reaction comes out as a bad cough/chest!!  Now I'm too scared to take it tonight and worried about the cough I have going on ....
Help please... anyone know anything about this?  Anyone take it?  Anyone had similar problems? 
This is ridiculous.  I get given tablets to control anxiety causing way bad IBS and I'm too anxious to take them!

Fed up and worried  :(
Bronte x
Bookmark and Share
Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Offline Bronte

• Poke This Member
Re: Amitriptyline 25mg
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 05:18:20 PM »
Doesn't anyone know anything about this a/d?
I've only taken that one tablet.  I've been too scared to take another and still coughing.
Would really appreciate some feedback if anyone has been on them / is on them please?
Bronte x
Bookmark and Share

Offline mbabynz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 06:17:33 AM »
Sorry i am not on them and i cant help much my advice go and see your doctor and get some reasurance just to put your mind at rest my mum takes them and she is fine on them so see and doc and see what they think hope it works out for you.
take care
mbabynz
Bookmark and Share
"I live each day so i can find out about tomorrow"

Offline Bronte

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 04:21:32 PM »
Thank you for replying.  I went back to the doctor yesterday as I am still getting the fluttery feelings in my stomach/chest and coughing.  He said that he thinks the fluttering is caused my anxiety (so what's new) and I have to go and have an ECG tomorrow morning (worried) and blood tests (TFT and FBC) and he said I have sinusitis and gave me antibiotics to try and get rid of the gunk.  He said the amitripylin won't do me any harm and they might help me feel a bit calmer, so to take them.  So last night I did, but only 1/2 a tablet (12.5mg) until I get used to them.

Bronte x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexadera21

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:37:31 AM »
I took this stuff for my anxiety caused nausea but it helped for a while, then made it worse and also gave me panic attacks and it also got me back into anorexia so I stay far away from it.  Now I take my clonazapam for my  nausea.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skires

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 05:30:27 PM »
Hi Bronte

I took ami yrs ago.

Actually recommended by a psycholigist I was seeing.

Took 1st one ... anxiety symptoms went thru the roof ... next day ... felt like a zombie. Phoned docs . he said they will take a while to get in system ... these heightened anxiety symptoms were typical on starting treatment and should settle down after a 'while'. So i kept with them for a few days ... I felt like I was climbing the walls .. always zombified next morning. So contacted docs and told him I couldn't take them anymore.

...but.... I've spoke to people who went on them and swore they had saved theiir lives ... I think this is typical of antis ... I think u do have to try stick with them for a while ... but if they don't suit you ... speak to doc .. plenty of options.

Skires

Bookmark and Share
You have to learn to live with the fear before you can live without the fear

Offline qtelaine8

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:13:27 AM »
I just starting taking this med for the pain in my neck.  I have two heriated disk and I took this at night and it worked like a charm.   That morning I woke up without any pain.  I have asthma but this med. doesn't seem to bother me.  The only side effect I have is a dry mouth and of coarse I get very sleepy.  Hopefully no other side effect develop.   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Carryon

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 09:25:32 AM »
I believe tha I took in many years ago to to sleep when I had gastritis from bad fish and that is one of the older non-SSRI or SSRN antidepressants. It just made me sleepy. You can check it out at the Mayo Clinic's site, a reliable source. But don't Google about it; you will be misinformed.
Bookmark and Share
The pursuit of truth is worth more than possessing it.

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »
that sounds close to what I have took for years. mine is called imipramine I started on 25 mg like you I cut it in half and took that for 4 days then went to the 25 mg for 4 days worked my way up slowly.  I ended up on 200 mg and it really helped me I was very limited as to where I could go was almost house bound and I was out going felt very normal. Is the pill brown in color? the one I take now is green it is 50 mg I got up to 4 a day but it caused me serious constipation so I had to cut it way back I have been on this for about 25 yrs would love to get off it but never faced the roads I couldn't travel and due to my constipation I hate to go back up high on them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: