Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Heavy or tight chest....  (Read 11075 times)

Offline Oceanminded

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Heavy or tight chest....
« on: March 21, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »
I guess my main symptom with GAD and Panic is a heavy or tight chested feeling. It literally feels like I need to get something off my chest so to speak. Does anyone know what causes this? Is it the chest muscles tensing up or is epigastric pressure?
Bookmark and Share

Offline laa43

• Rec's: 14
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heavy or tight chest....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:43:29 PM »
Does it feel like your not getting enough air? I don't know if what I have is exactily like yours, but mine feels like a knot (tight) in the lower chest. Makes me feel like I'm not getting enough air. Do you also have indegestion. Just wondering. I hate this feeling. Hope you feel better!
Bookmark and Share
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are mere trivial things compared to what lies within us"....Emerson

Offline chinacat

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 11:39:50 PM »
I have this heavy feeling too.  I often wonder if I am getting sick because it feels like I just can't breath.  Does that sound like it?  Now right now I actually do have a cold coming on so it is a bit different, but I have had the feeling for months.  Anyways, I'm sure you are feeling stress.  It's amazing what it can do to us!
Bookmark and Share

Offline letMEcalmDOWN

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 04:22:02 AM »
i very occasionally get the heavieness. but usually when i get a bad case of anxiety i get chest pain. if i get the two together i obviously go into total panic! even been to ER because of this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissWhat_If

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 07:50:21 PM »
I have the same feeling-- like there's an elephant sitting on my chest.  I believe the cause of this particular feeling is hyperventilation.  We can hyperventilate in a very subtle way and by breathing in too much oxygen and breathing out too much CO2, we disrupt the normal, relaxing balance of blood gases.

As for what causes us to feel our chests are tight: I'm not certain.  When I experience this feeling, I always assume it's muscular tension.  But that's a guess.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aeydownlow

• Rec's: 1
  • Life is short
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:46:28 AM »
Same here, I think its stress, like right now I feel it. I hate it cause I tend to panic then my heart starts to race. :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline britgirl04

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 12:03:18 PM »
My main and most disturbing symptom with GAD is chest pain. I have been to the ER several times. My heart always checks out fine. After I started dealing with the GAD with meds and therapy it has gone away for the most part. Still feel it from time to time but it doesn't have me freaking out now. My doctor explained it could be chest wall pain and just overall muscle pain. I work out more now concentrating on my upper body and this seems to help too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline niteriders1

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 03:26:56 AM »
I have the same exact thing the pain spreads to deifferent parts of my chest.  I had the holter monitor chest,stress test, blood test, ekg's, and xray's and everything came back normal.  So they said my cause is anxiety. The chest pain gets annoying. They have gave me some beta blockers to try to help with the chest pain but the only thing is that the blockers slow you down. I also been to the ER several times and everytime the found nothing.  Hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: