Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Tightness in throat and chest  (Read 125752 times)

Offline Bradly

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Tightness in throat and chest
« on: May 01, 2005, 12:03:20 PM »
I was'nt sure where to put this one because I seem to suffer from so many different things and I'm not exactly sure which one of them (if any) is causing it. I suffer from panic, anxiety and I think, some depression in there somewhere.

Anyway, my throat has felt very restricted for about 3-5 days now and I am swallowing a lot. It feels very tight/full and like there's a popping sound/feeling in there whenever I swallow and my chest also feels tight. It also feels kind of sore (not like a sore throat but more like I have something in there that makes swallowing uncomfortable). Sometimes I don't notice it that much and other times it makes me scared.

Any suggestions?. Anyone else get this?. Yes, I know I could just march down to the doctor's office (and I probably will very soon) but I was just wondering if anyone here can relate to these symptoms.

Thank's
Bookmark and Share

Offline twodogs

• Poke This Member
Re: Tightness in throat and chest
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 12:06:21 PM »
I'd like to know what is causing this too because I have the exact same symptoms as you and I have panic attacks/anxiety myself.

I hope we get an answer soon because it is really freaking me out. I just took a Xanax and it seemed to calm down some but it's still there. My throat feels tight, constricted, popping/clicking/lumpy/bumpy...blah blah feeling when I swallow too and I feel like I have to swallow every few seconds.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Angelwings

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 07:36:10 PM »
This happens to me sometimes when a panic attack strikes but my throat just gets really tight and I have a difficult time breathing. I think it's pretty normal and I'm glad they don't last forever although regular anxiety seems to be a different matter.
Bookmark and Share
This thing can only conquer us if we give it the power to.

Offline rara

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:27:12 PM »
Are you sure it isnt physical? And Are you sure one anxiety isnt a sympton of the other?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Star

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 02:29:59 PM »
Hi Bradly, what my psychiatrist always told me to do when I felt the tightness in my chest from being anxious, is to pull back your shoulder blades. In doing that you open up your rib cage and hense make it easier to breathe.

As for the lump in the throat I find that there is not alot you can do about it but take some deep breaths, it does go away after a bit, maybe try to drink some water, or focus on something other then the uncomfortable feeling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bummed

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 12:57:13 PM »
yes i have so many of the symptoms  it sucks  im so afraid of dying that im not living my throat and chest hurt for the month atleast  just try to go its hard but i push myself some time so that trapped in my house like hremit
Bookmark and Share

Offline foggy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 10:03:20 AM »
Hey! I know this is an old thread, but I've started to have a great deal of tightness in my throat (There were a few seconds last night when I couldn't swallow - incredibly scary, and didn't help the anxiety!). Other people have experienced this...even when not in the throws of a panic attack? Any new tips on how to cope?

This is all so frustrating - but (as mentioned in a more recent thread), this board is incredibly helpful. It is so nice to have people to commiserate and share these awful experiences with!  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline SistahGeek

• GAD/Panic/HA
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 03:19:05 PM »
I have also begun experiencing this, during a panic attack and then sometimes just in anticipation of the next attack...very frustrating....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 06:14:48 AM »
A couple years ago I went to an ent guy for this. (put the light thing up my nose and down my throat. wasn't too bad)  He called it globus.  Yet another lovely anxiety related disorder.  :-\  I have a really hard time with this one.  I get it really bad when I'm driving.  I really don't find driving to be overly stressful, but apparently some part of my brain does.  I've found the more I think about it the worse it gets.  Drinking ice water seems to help.  It also seems to get worse when I let myself get dehydrated.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline james2612

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 04:07:54 AM »
This is a classic symptom of panic disorder. After my attacks I get the tight throat, feels like a lump. This was lasting up to a week then I just accepted it and it went away. I tried Valium it has a muscle relaxant in it also goes away. Though thats a last resort. I get pains under my ribs, first I thought I had angina but it is more like a stitch. Once I realized and accepted it was due to panic it went away in seconds. Now I just have the attacks to deal with, I worry for days after most about my health.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: