Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Mirtazapine and Diazepam together ...  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Ava2209

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mirtazapine and Diazepam together ...
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
Hi,
I've read on various websites and on the info leaflet that you should not mix the two yet my doctor has prescribed both!? He gave a repeat script for the Diazepam until the Mirtazapine starts kicking in ... I'm a bit confused as you can imagine.

A
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mirtazapine and Diazepam together ...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
I take a small bit of Diazepam in the afternoon and the Remeron at night. Not a bother at all with them. Your doctor may take you off the Diazepam in the long term. Once he knows the other medication is working as it should do. Try not to get too worked up about it. I'm sure you will be just fine.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:16:06 PM »
I've read on various websites and on the info leaflet that you should not mix the two yet my doctor has prescribed both!?

The problem is that both are sedating medications which could make staying awake during the day difficult. Another problem is that they may affect your ability to drive safely so be ultra cautious until you gauge the combined effect of these drugs. The benzodiazepine sedation tends to wear off after a couple of weeks. Unless you've been told otherwise by your doctor, take the diazepam in the morning at the lowest dose that still controls your anxiety and mirtazapine 30-60 minutes before bed.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:44:46 AM »
Tell me something Ian, I once read that taken these two together, is on a high dose of valium, can actually effect how the remeron works? Is there any truth to that at all or is it just a myth? I know my own doctor wanted me on 30mgs of valium. I refused. Only take .5mg in the afternoon. Get by just fine. But can one effect the other over a long term. By way of its effectiveness?
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »
Tell me something Ian, I once read that taken these two together, is on a high dose of valium, can actually effect how the remeron works?

Possibly, at least indirectly. There is some evidence that increased GABAergic activity inhibits neurogenesis, therefore it has been hypothesized that the increased GABAergic activity induced by benzodiazepines (and alcohol) may have an effect.  However, this is by no means certain. For a starter most anxiety patients have impaired benzo-GABA function, yet have atrophied hippocampi too. 

This also needs to be weighted against the known deleterious effects of uncontrolled anxiety on neurogenesis. Plus benzodiazepines often help people get past the initial antidepressant side-effects so they can continue taking ADs. ADs can only work if they are taken and, unfortunately, most of those prescribed ADs stop taking them within a week or two, mainly because of side-effects, particularly heightened anxiety.

I know my own doctor wanted me on 30mgs of valium. I refused. Only take .5mg in the afternoon. Get by just fine.

I suspect that you would do just as well without it. 0.5mg is a tiny amount, the equivalent of 0.025mg Xanax or 1/10th the smallest dose tablet. Before Klonopin became available epileptics used to be prescribed 200-400mg of Valium daily.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Ava2209

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »
At Cuch .. I'm taking 1/2 5mg tabs of the diazepam per day ... when I first started taking it at the end of December I took 30mg twice and was completely zonked .. could not even imagine taking that amount on a daily basis!
At Insights .. lots of terminology that I need to wiki to understand fully ... have to say have had heightened anxiety the past few days but thats the only side effect so far .. only 7 days into taking the medication and slightly impatient for it to kick in! Don't sopose you want to run that past me again but then in laymans terms?

Thanks for the input.
A
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:34 PM »
Don't sopose you want to run that past me again but then in laymans terms?

When we're stressed lots of stress hormones are released, especially cortisol which is a neurotoxin. Chronic cortisol levels begin to kill off neurons in the two hippocampus regions of the brain, specifically the dentate gyrus sections which lay down long term memory and which are tightly connected to the two primary fear processing centres of the brain, the amygdalae.

It was long thought that we are born with all the brain cells we'll ever have, but it turns out that at least two areas can grow new brain cells, the olfactory bulbs at the top of the nose and the hippocampi. Furthermore, it seems antidepressants encouraging the budding and growth of new neurons in the hippocampi, - neurogenesis - which reverses the effects of cortisol exposure. This explains why antidepressants take a few weeks to kick-in instead of working as soon as their active chemical enters the brain some 30 minutes after the drug is taken.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ava2209

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:54 AM »
Thanks a million Ian - that language I understand at least!
Still waiting for the AD's to kick in ....

A
Bookmark and Share

Tags: