Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hollow feeling in chest? Terrified if a heart attack  (Read 18168 times)

Offline professionalworrier

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hollow feeling in chest? Terrified if a heart attack
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:26:37 AM »
For about 2 years, since my anxiety got bad after I had my second child, I have had occasional palpitations and this weird pressure/empty feeling in my chest. About 18 months ago I had a bunch of EKGs, a 24 homter monitor, a stress test, and an echocardiogram. Everything was normal.  But I am still scared they either missed something or that something has developed between now and then.  I had bulemia for a bit in my teens and used to drink a lit of energy drinks and alcohol and I am scared I damaged my heart. Wouldn't you need a catheterization to totally rule EVERYTHING out? Or not?  I hate it. It makes me scared to exercise and I am training for a half marathon so that's not good LOL.  I just saw a story on cnn about a lady who had a heart attack at 38 and it said she had had tests done prior but they didnt catch it. But it didnt say what tests. I HATE THE NEWS
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hollow feeling in chest? Terrified if a heart attack
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:32:21 AM »
If you hate the news, why watch it?  I stay away from that stuff - they always focus on the NEGATIVE.  That's not what we need to hear, is it?

If you've had all the tests, you've done all you can do.  Try and be rational about this.  You can't live your life expecting something to go wrong with your heart.  It's something you don't have alot of control over.  Despite perfect genetics, diet and whatever else one can do, heart attacks still happen to the best of us.

Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »
Hollow feeling in chest = classic anxiety symptom.  You've done everything you can, every test came back normal.  It's time to find a way to let go of these worries because they're just not based in something that's going to happen.  I know, it's easy to say and not so easy to do.  But I would suggest finding a therapist and spending money on that instead of further medical testing.  It can't hurt to try and it might help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ferdricko1

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:53:19 PM »
Professionalworrier, I get the same feeling without much explanation, and I've also had an EKG and holter monitor done (which were normal).  It comes and goes and was especially bad before I got the testing done.  The one thing that gives me some comfort, and hopefully can comfort you, is that we're both still here right?   :winking0008:  It can't be so bad then.  Hang in there!

Mollyfin I'm curious if you have some more info on this feeling being a classic symptom?  Is this a symptom a lot of people have?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommabear

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:58:34 PM »
A feeling that I get frequently...... Never posted about it because it was hard for me to describe but that's it! As far as I know my heart and lungs are fine so it must just be anxiety causing it. I'd honestly never read anything on it being decribed as an anxiety symptom. I guess I know now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline professionalworrier

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »
Thank you guys so much for the replies! It seriously made me feel a lot better :). I had heard of palpitations from anxiety but wasn't sure of this hollow, pressure feeling. My doctor was like, you had a full cardio workup 2 years ago. But of course my hypo makes me think they missed something, or something developed since then, blah blah blah. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline jpeck2

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Panic Disorder * Hypochondria
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 03:28:53 AM »
Professionalworrier, you sound exactly like me, right down to your name, that's me to a T. Regardless of all the tests I've had, my wife goes crazy because I come home from doctors appointments or visits to the ER and I bug out saying things like "ah they only kept me for 3 hours and did blood tests, ekg, chest xray and that was it and sent me home they don't know what they are doing blah blah blah!!" but here I am 2 years after my panic first set in, still alive. I find myself sometimes having to remind myself "if it was a heart attack, it would've happen by now because this has been ongoing for 2 years" I'm big on reading into diseases online because I have panic disorder, hypochondria, and cardiophobia.... a crappy set of anxiety disorders to have all at once. But I feel your pain! it stinks, i can't help but getting that "they aren't doing all the tests" or "its been a while what if somethings wrong now" feelings...    :dazed:

I wish I knew other people personally that had the same issues, sometimes it would be nice to give someone a ring and just be like "hey, I'm having an attack again" and have them know exactly what to say.... I can't stand when I get into an attack and my wife tells me "relax" or "just lay down" or something like that... Sometimes I feel bad because I yell at her, I know shes just trying to help but when I'm going crazy freaking out and she says something like that it sets me off  :angry-smiley-034:
Bookmark and Share
Currently Suffering and haven't found relief in anything yet!

Offline Porta24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
I get a lot of flutters in my chest and get a sinking feeling strait away it's nasty also get chest pains all on left side of chest scares me to death only suffered for 4 months I'm close to loseing my job through it
Bookmark and Share

Tags: