Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hard bony lump on center of chest?  (Read 34126 times)

Offline burgundyplace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hard bony lump on center of chest?
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:18:46 AM »
Hi i just found this really hard bony lump at the center of my chest. It is directly above the heart i think. So strange. Its a bit big. I dunno. I dont have any symptom or whatever.

My friend told me that its just a bone. He made me feel his chest and i could feel there was almost the same thing there on his chest. Ugh but i feel that this is not what it is supposed to be. My friend's bony thing feels like there are two but i only have one!

I think this is the sternum. Is it supposed to have a lump or something?

Dos anyone have this? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline megaT

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hard bony lump on center of chest?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:34:22 AM »
Is it your Xiphoid Process?  It's right in the center of chest.  Kind of a hard little piece of cartilage that can be felt. I feel mine best when laying on my back. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:39:45 AM »
Hi megaT, I looked up Xiphoid Process, but I think it's not it. The XP according to the picture is the lower part of the sternum. Mine is on the upper part. :| It's almost below the collar bone, I believe.  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 92
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:14:27 AM »
Sorry, I just have to blow the "unnecessary panic" whistle. C'mon, burgundy, there are plenty of bony, weird masses in our chests, and from what you're describing, it certainly sound like your sternum. STOP feeling around for your bones, or your friend's bones, and then sit there and compare/contrast what they feel like. You have NO IDEA what those things are "supposed" to feel like in the "normal" body. You're fine. Stop manufacturing things to worry about.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:25 AM »
Hovardnas, thank you for that reality check. Sometimes i just go out of my mind and succumb to this habit of checking my body like crazy!
Bookmark and Share

Offline dodobird

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »
Hi, My boys all have a little bony protruberance right there too.... I found it on my chest too many years ago and felt it so often that it actually became sore and I got quite obsessed about it. I recently saw the same thing on my little baby grandchild and remembered my years old panic. I presume I still have it but I'm older and fatter and probably couldn't even find it now.
I once went to the dr because I found a bony little lump just below my knee. He felt it and told me to just go home and not ever look at it or touch it again. I asked him what it was and he said, "It's a nothing. You're touching it again. Just leave it alone and forget about it" . I did, and it went away... I think. That was about 20 years ago.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »
hi dodobird,

thank you for your reply. i guess our bodies are just too complicated to be deciphered by an anxious mind. i'm glad your worries turned out to be nothing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrsdmilkman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
Ive got the same thing, I was really bad over weight until all this anxiety hit.  Then I lost 60 pounds from it. Awhile back I noticed that same kind of lump in the middle of my chest.  I was sure it wasnt suppose to be there.  Ive compared it to hubbys, his isnt that big. Daughters and others, I really believe its normal.  Some peoples is just bigger than others.  So if its anything else I have it too!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:07:15 PM »
hi milkman,

thank you for the reassurance. i really hate this when this happens. sigh :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: