Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: feel feverish, but my temp is subnormal???  (Read 20048 times)

Offline hizzy

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
feel feverish, but my temp is subnormal???
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:45:34 PM »
this has been going on for a couple of weeks, since i started feeling like i was coming down with a bug, but i've never gotten full-blown sick.  just continue to feel like i'm on the verge of getting a cold or flu.  i start to feel feverish, take my temperature, and it's subnormal.  my personal "normal" body temp is about 97.7 to 97.9, but even when i feel feverish, my temp is never above 98.3.  i wake up in the middle of the night feeling achey through my shoulders and sick as a dog with a fever...but there's never any fever!  last night when i woke up feeling feverish, my temp was 97.2!  does this happen to anyone else??  my dad says this happens to him a lot when he has a virus...i'm concerned because this seems to happen cyclically to me, and i'm so worried that i have chronic fatigue syndrome.
Bookmark and Share
i'm not just a mental health counselor, i'm a mental health consumer, too!

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
Re: feel feverish, but my temp is subnormal???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
I routinely have a temperature below 97 degrees. So does my mother. I don't think it really means anything. In fact, I've read that it's the "key to longevity," or something.

I guess your feverish feelings are attributable to something other than fever. I wouldn't worry too much about your temperature. 98.6 is just "average."
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline crissy82

• I can do everything through HIM who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
I have this a lot. My temp usually runs around 96. Even when I feel feverish it only gets to around 97.5. I dont know why.
Bookmark and Share
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
2 Corinthians 4:16-17

Offline avianwaif

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • artist and crafter
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:40:39 AM »
My body temp. is also 'not usually' 98.6F. BUT I just discovered on May 8 that this could be due to my measuring device! I have an OLD digital thermometer. Routinely it measures my body temp. under 97.5F. I measure under the tongue.
So I got to the doctor's office and they took my temp. with a new digital thermometer, aiming it in to my ear. It was 98.6F.
Of course that caused me to panic a little bit. I thought for sure I was feverish and getting sick right then.
Then I remembered that it's the trend you are measuring, not just a spot check. (usually I try to check every day or 2) So even if my thermometer is wrong, the fact that I'm used to it's measurements and know how to spot a fever in me using it, is what's important.

I've had those attacks of overheating too. I've measured my temp. during them just to see how bad it was. Usually it's the same as when I'm not overheating. It's some sort of metabolic or hormone issue. I almost always overheat right before a bad attack of IBS. I used to get the overheating if I ate a food I was 'allergic' to, as well. It's some strange thing that happens... my doctor has no explanation (but she never really tried). My thyroid, etc. are all fine so we're at a loss. I guess just don't worry too much about it - keep yoru a/c or a fan nearby in case of an attack. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wishingforcalm2

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:18:36 AM »
ike everyone else here has said, my temp runs on what I always thought was the low side too.  Abour 96 or 97.  When I had my son I invested in a new, expensive thermometer, and the instructions provide ranges, and orally, it;s like 97-99.0 or something and under your arm, it's like 95.9-98.8, so after I saw that, I was no longer worried.  They said those are "normal" readings. 
That said, I didn't look at your info, so I don't know how old you are or if you have kids, but since I had my son (and I'm 34 now) for the last couple years i've been experiencing that same frustrating symptom.  I feel feverish, (sometimes I even get the chills) but my temp is low.  I finally figured out it coincides with my period.  It's happening mostly right before my period.  There are some other odd things going on too...and my OB mentioned Peri-menopause to me.  Great.   While it makes me feel far older that I am, when I get those weird body aches and chills, I feel better knowing it's just a PMS symptom. 
Hopefully if you track it  you can place it at a certain time in your cycle.  (If you're a man, I'm SO sorry! --it no longer tells me on this screen;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline hizzy

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »
wishing, LOL, i am a 31 year old female with no children, so thanks for the helpful input about hormones.  i have considered having my doctor check my hormone levels because i seem to tolerate birth control very poorly all of a sudden, and of course dr. google indicates that a lot of my symptoms could be peri-menopause.  i keep telling myself that that's not likely since i'm only 31, and i certainly hope it's not the case.  i have refrained from asking my doctor to check my hormones because i recognize that everything else she has checked has been normal (except vit D deficiency that i am now taking supplements for), but even normal lab results don't reassure me that i'm ok!  so it seems a bit pointless to make an appointment, pay ANOTHER copay, and then pay for MORE labs that won't reassure me anyway!  :P
Bookmark and Share
i'm not just a mental health counselor, i'm a mental health consumer, too!

Tags: