Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: heart rate 47 on EKG - scared!  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Nicollette

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
heart rate 47 on EKG - scared!
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
yesterday I went for my yearly physical and on an EKG - which they said was normal.   TODAY the nurse called me up and told me that my heart rate on the EKG was only 47!!  PANIC TIME!   

I am on 2 heart medications - calcium channel blocker and beta blocker for a condition I had in my 20's called supraventricular tachycardia which speeds UP the heart to high rates but is controlled on these meds for 25 years.   

The last month or so I have been doing very strenuous cardio exercise and lost 10 pounds on a diet.  Maybe I have done permanent damage :(   

She told me NOT TO WORRY - HA!  saying THAT to a person with HA is ridiculous!   I told her I had been feeling weak and not right and she ignored that and said the doctor told me to cut one of the small pills in half (it is very tiny), and then call back in a week with my pulse rate!! 

YOU KNOW I will be taking my pulse all the time.    I am scared that I will die.  I don't want to go to sleep at night for fear my heart will stop! 
I GOOGLED it of course and on wikipedia it said bradycardia can sometimes cause death!   

I am very frightened.   Please help if you can, thanks for reading this.

Bookmark and Share

Offline briteyes1002

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: heart rate 47 on EKG - scared!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:30:30 PM »
Did the nurse seem like the doctor was concerned?

What does the doctor want? Does he want you to come back in?
Bookmark and Share
The road you leave behind you is another road your going to have to come back down!

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
sounds to me like your pulse was a bit low SO the doc feels the medication should be reduced.  This is a normal and standard thing for a doctor to do when you are on meds to slow down your heartrate.  It is pretty clear you don't need as much as is prescribed anymore.  This may well be due to your exercise and weight loss.

All in all this is GOOD.  Your exercising and weight loss may well be able to get you off the meds.

edit  my opinion of course....  also be aware that cardiac meds, like seizure meds can NOT be stopped right away.  they have to be titrated down.  just follow doc's orders by cutting the pills in half (I know the tiny ones are a bugger for that).  if doc thought you were going to drop off, you wouldn't be left at home.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Nicollette

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »
Thanks Briteyes   

Doctor is a woman and she didn't seem to be very concerned.  (I wish she had called me herself).   They want me to check the pulse in a week and call back after I have cut the dose in half of the beta blocker.  I am on a tiny dose of that Atenolol.  25mg. 

She did not say to come back in - I guess that will depend on my heart rate in a week!   I am going to ask for a cardiologist consult I think at that time. 

Nicollette
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nicollette

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »
sixpack, thanks

I have a doubt that reducing the medication will help.   I think I might have done damage by strenuous exercise?  Now I have felt a twinge of pain in the region of my heart for several days even before I went to the doctor but didn't say anything since it is so minor and comes briefly and goes

I hope you are right that I will be okay  I am still scared.  My blood pressure was normal - even a bit high when I first went in the office due to nerves.

I will try to remember that they wouldn't leave me here at home if they thought it was that dangerous. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ojaj2005

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »
I think certain heart meds can cause your pulse to be low. I think if the dr isn't that concerned and is just suggesting that you cut your pill in half than you shouldn't worry. (Easier said than done, I know I have HA, too). Good luck!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
I think your strenous exercise idea that it damaged your heart is incorrect.  i think that idea is from your anxious overthinking.

the meds you are on are designed to lower heart rate
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline ClassicNerd

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
Just wanted to pipe in and say not to worry! Follow your doctor's advice and go back to see her. Heck, schedule an appointment with a cardiologist if it will give you peace of mind, but I think you've received some great responses already. Keep up your healthy lifestyle and try to remain calm. Great job losing 10 lbs!
Bookmark and Share
“I am an old man and I have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened” -  Mark Twain

Offline Nicollette

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Well I have a pretty good doctor!  She called me tonight at 8:40 to check on my anxiety (her nurse had relayed the news).   She said just what a couple of you have told me - that my heart rate is slower because of the exercise and weight loss and that she plans to take me off the atenolol completely eventually.   B-;

She said not to worry (I still have the anxiety but not as bad).  The pills are tiny tiny but I can bite it in half.  This is a big reminder of how much work my heart does and the need to take care of it.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline ClassicNerd

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:51:52 PM »
Great news about getting off the atenolol! And your doctor sounds wonderful! You're truly blessed to have a physician that cares about your physical as well as mental well being.
Bookmark and Share
“I am an old man and I have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened” -  Mark Twain

Tags: