Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How do I stop a full blown panic attack??? Need urgent help!!!  (Read 876 times)

Offline plomeli

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How do I stop a full blown panic attack??? Need urgent help!!!
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:11 AM »
Hello and I need help!!! I went for a walk today and was wearing those new shoes that have tons of arch support. Then all of the sudden I felt some tingling on my arch. I thought it was weird but didn't pay much attention to it, I thought I just stepped on it wrong. So through out the day I have been feeling the tingling in the arch of my foot and still thought nothing of it. Then a little while ago I realized OMG I've been feeling this allll day OMG it's MS!!!! I literally got hysterical and don't know how to come down....how do I stop this before it becomes a full blown panic attack???? Please help, I don't want to go there.... it feels terrible. Thanks
Bookmark and Share
Even when difficulties come into our lives, as they do for all humans "know" our great option is to chose love rather than fear.  -Oprah

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do I stop a full blown panic attack??? Need urgent help!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 06:37:17 AM »
When I'm having a really bad one I try to talk to someone about anything other than what I'm worried about.  General conversation to focus my mind on something else.  If no one is around to talk to, I take an anxiety pill.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ravens Lady

• Rec's: 42
  • As a Lady thinks, so she is.....
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
Plomeli,

That issue in and of itself does not indicate MS.  Even anxiety can cause that type of issue, along with changing positions or having pins and needles blood circulation sensations.  Plus, if you are wearing new shoes, that could be causing some new sensations in your feet.

Really, from what you've shared, this issue doesn't seem like it should warrant any concern.  I think you're okay. :)

-Ravens Lady
Bookmark and Share

Offline reasonableland

• Rec's: 11
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »
I try to remember how many other times I have thought I was so certain of my self-diagnosis and been proven wrong. I also try to remember a sentence I read in a Panic attack book which just said something like "no one has ever been shown to die or go crazy from having a panic attack, no matter how frightened you feel, remember no harm will come to you".  That used to help me a lot.

Do you have anxiety about a lot of different health issues, or just one or two particular ones? 

Bookmark and Share
I move forward with my anxiety because I WANT to.

Offline plomeli

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »
Thank you for your responses daviezmom and Ravens Lady, I felt better after reading them!!!! Its just weird that I am so aware of every single sensation and go nuts if anything feels abnormal!!!! Resonableland, I like that quote it makes sense.... and to answer your question I have anxiety about a lot of health issues, it just depends on what symptoms feel abnormal to me. I can get a headache and don't freak out but tingling, dizziness or waiting for test results are terrible for me!!!! I go from tingling to MS to I'm dying in like a second!!! I have been seeing a psychologist, I am starting CBT on Monday and am going to a Reiki thing tomorrow. I'm desperately hoping something will help me cause I'm going nuts!!!! Thanks again for your replies they sure helped.
Bookmark and Share
Even when difficulties come into our lives, as they do for all humans "know" our great option is to chose love rather than fear.  -Oprah

Offline Arghhelp

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:54:32 AM »
One really important step for eliminating the symptoms of panic is to control your breathing. Some people suggest four seconds in, four seconds out although I find that is a bit fast for me. Most of the physical sensations of panic are caused by hyperventilation which you can do without even realizing it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ~justme~

• End~ of the ~Rainbow
  • Rec's: 2
  • ~ love me for who I am ~
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 02:52:09 AM »
i usually come here and try to help others. that sometimes helps keep my mind off things. breathing techniques can help. but try to relax. easier said than done i know. but good luck with this. i know its hard always fearing things.
Bookmark and Share
*End of the rainbow~

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
It is very difficult to control a full blown panic attack but I have had many and I have gotten to the point to where I have been able to control them. I am not going to say that I will always be able to but so far so good. In fact I had one today, right in front of a neighbor and I was able to control it so they didn't even notice it.

The best way to control it is IGNORE IT. I know it sounds like that would be impossible but it actually works. I think that what has made it work for me so far is that I have my panic attacks in public places or in front of someone and the fear of them knowing about it has made me literally be able to control it. I just continue doing what I am doing as if nothing is happening and lo and behold the panic eases in a matter of minutes.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline reasonableland

• Rec's: 11
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
I am starting CBT on Monday and am going to a Reiki thing tomorrow. I'm desperately hoping something will help me cause I'm going nuts!!!! Thanks again for your replies they sure helped.

I am in CBT myself and enjoy shiatsu as a nice bonus every now and then - It's good while we are so wound up to remember to treat ourselves to nice relaxing activity as well.

CBT has certainly made a huge impact for me - I had terrible HA bouncing from one illness to another, and CBT has made a positive impact (Not always a straight-line of progress, but progress nonetheless).

Good luck for Monday!

PS

Walking meditation is also really nice, a kind of breathing and mindfulness while on your feet - when I remember to slow down and enjoy the scenery this helps too.

Bookmark and Share
I move forward with my anxiety because I WANT to.

Tags: