Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: 7 year old daughter with PTSD- at a loss on what to do  (Read 1395 times)

Offline lostmommy

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
7 year old daughter with PTSD- at a loss on what to do
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »
Hi, I am new to this forum.  I am looking for anyone with advice on childhood PTSD.  My 7 year old has the diagnosis of PTSD from events that occured while she was with my ex-husband on weekend visits.  She has not seen him in over a year and she has been in therapy for 3 years.  At the age of 4,  I noticed that something was just not right with her.  She was aggressive, defiant, and moody.  I am tired of the professionals telling me that "You are the safe one." when they explain why the anger and aggression is directly mostly at me.  I just want her to get better and just when I think she is starting to heal we take big giant steps backwards.  The hardest thing I have ever done is to leave my child at the hospital because I felt she was an endanger to herself and others.  I have had to do this twice in the last year and a half.  She actually has a whole long list of diagnoses including PTSD, Oppositional Defiant, Cyclic Vomiting, and Possible Mood Disorder.  Last year at school she would vomit all day due to anxiety.  The vomiting has stopped for the most part but it is the other behaviors that are so hard to manage.  Her moods shift quickly and she is very irritable and frustrates easily.  It seems like our family walks on egg shells all the time to prevent a rage.  She has 2 older sisters that just don't understand and are tired of getting hit or kicked but want to see her get better.  This doesn't help the whole process because now she feels like no one wants to be around her.  Does anyone else out there have any success stories of healing from PTSD or will she have to fight this forever?  PTSD feels like a disease that there is no hope for at times.  Medication has made some difference in the length of rages but we still deal with them on an almost daily basis. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: 7 year old daughter with PTSD- at a loss on what to do
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:17:11 AM »
There is one form of theraphy you can look up. I hope I have the name right. EDMR. It is used for PTSD. They use on soldiers coming back from war. Rape victims and the likes. So it is used to treat serious cases. I have heard of it used minus medication. In other words it is a form of treatment were people are kept off of medication. It is meant to be good. From what I have read about it. But Google it. See what you can find out about it. Whether or not you think it would be right for your daughter. That is such a young age to have to suffer. I have no doubt they could help her out and get it sorted out for her. Wish you the best in doing so.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: