Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lexapro highest dosage  (Read 14398 times)

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Rec's: 26
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lexapro highest dosage
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Hi,

I have read on the information leaflet and been told verbally by medics that the highest dosage for lexapro is 20MG.

I have read here and elsewhere that there are folk now on 30 mg or higher..

I'm just wondering did they get medical approval for the higher dosage and what they notice.

The bigger debate is SSRI's taken at a higher dosage than normally recommended....

Thanks in advance.

Bookmark and Share
The principal Irish poster on AZ

Offline WiSp

• Rec's: 24
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Anxiety warrior since my birth.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lexapro highest dosage
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »
My psychiatrist offered me to try zoloft at 225, which is +25 above the maximum. But I refused since I was not better at 175 and 200 than at 150.

Another psychiatrist told me that most of the time, he is working "out the book", meaning that he uses above the max when he thinks it's appropriate. Information about overdose triggers with meds are kept secretly by doctors and pharmacists, to prevent giving information to people planning to end their life. If we take zoloft for example, an overdose usually not kill, but damage the brain and cause paralysis. But I've no idea about how much mg are needed. I doubt that doctors play around the overdose triggers, even if they may go sometimes above the maximum recommended. The consequences could be too big.

I've also met psychiatrists that refuse even to give the maximum recommended dosage. Judging this information also sensitive. And you cannot base your idea of a maximum with the pills. For example, seroquel xr stops to 400mg. But people can take up to 1000mg and even above sometimes (well I don't remember if it's about seroquel, or the xr version). So the last bigger pill gives no clue at all.

The max recommended is calculated with experiments and is a kind of discharge of responsibility for drug companies for people that use a higher dose.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
Thank you very much Wisp. Comprehensive reply.

My reasons for asking are I feel great on lexapro 20, but am wondering might I feel even better at 25. It's difficult to know. I could take a 20 and split a 10 to make 25.

The arguement is if 20 helps, will 25 help more or will it be something I can try down the road?

Bookmark and Share

Offline sohelpless

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
I've heard from a couple of psychiatrists that as long as a person can tolerate the higher doses, they will allow their patients to go higher than the recommended amount.  One doctor explained that the reason there is a cap on dosage with SSRI's is because those were the doses that most people in the drug studies were able to tolerate before they started experiencing negative effects.  Many people need to go higher than what is recommended in order to get the most benefit from the med.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »
So Helpless. I want to thank you for taking the time to post.

I have decided not to change the 20. I feel great. 20 is the prescription. If it's not broke, don't fix it!

The above said I've more understanding regarding the maximum dose. I probably could tolerate safely 25 or even 30, but I'd have a hard job convincing my psych when he wants me to stay on 20 for the next few years, his words!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Tam0630

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:28:37 PM »
I was on 40mg of Lexapro. 20 wasn't enough for me. Didn't notice any ill effects, and it wasn't difficult to come off of it. A bit of anxiety, but nothing I couldn't handle.
Bookmark and Share
The only power anyone or any thing has over us is the power we relinquish.

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 04:16:48 AM »
Hello Tam.

I want to thank you for posting.

I'm interested in this. Did your doc or PDoc prescribe it? Were there any special warnings or ref to the liver or how high a dose it was.

It's good to put in the back pocket as such that there are options over 20!

Bookmark and Share

Offline sayfay73

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »
My PCP would only go up to 20mg of Lexapro, but he did also prescribe Abilify.  That combo seems to work well for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Irishmanwrites

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
Hi Sayfay,

Interesting combo. I have a friend who is on Abilify. Is it not primarily for Bipolar Disorder?

My friend who uses it also takes Topamax and Cymbalta. Topamax I thought was for Epilepsy and Cymbalta for Depression and or CFS!

It just shows different meds are used in different ways for different patients.

This will either convince you that doctors know more or less than we thought re meds!

Good luck with your Lexapro though. Very effective for some people.

Bookmark and Share

Offline stevo1111

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:47:35 AM »
First, the lexapro is very effective for me, so I hope the best for you.

Second, a recent chat with my Dr. brought up this topic. He suggested that it is on a per person basis, as everyone reacts much differently. He has prescribed up to 40-60mg a day and some people as low as 5mg of lexapro, all with good results. Work with your Dr. to figure out the most effective dose for you. It will take time and be a bit frustrating as the anxiety will rise an fall but in the long run it is definitely worth it to get your anxiety under control.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sayfay73

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:39 AM »
Hi Sayfay,

Interesting combo. I have a friend who is on Abilify. Is it not primarily for Bipolar Disorder?

I think it is prescribed as a stand alone for bipolar, I believe.  But, when taken with an anti-depressant, it sort of acts like a "boost", for lack of a better term.  I only take 1mg of it with the 20mg of Lexapro and that really seems to help me.  While I still am anxious at times, I haven't had a panic attack in months (and I was getting them at least 2-3 times a week). 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: