Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: After a panic attack does everyone go back to feeling normal?  (Read 17912 times)

Offline Chris22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
After a severe panic attack I'm left with this horrible feeling that can last for years after.Every couple of years I have a huge episode of panic and then after a year or 2 I'll start to feel like myself again.Then it'll happen all over again.After a bad episode everything looks and feels different.My house doesn't feel like home,I don't get the same feeling when it's sunny outside,my family members don't seem the same.My perception of everything gets altered for a long time and since my first attack at 14,I would say I have never felt right again.After a panic attack I live in fear of getting another,so I avoid all kinds of social situations that I would normally take part in.Does anyone get this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline pauly j

• Rec's: 42
  • Constant and Never ending Improvement.
    • Poke This Member
Re: After a panic attack does everyone go back to feeling normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »
Sounds like the panic disorder caused GAD. 

If after a panic attack, you feel horrible for years, that is not usually all to common.  I imagine you are dealing with GAD that is causing you to feel this way.

After I have a panic attack, it takes me only minutes to calm down, maybe a few hours at most to feel normal again.

Have you gotten a diagnosis?  Maybe you should tell your GP about this. 

Regardless of the diagnosis, you can improve your condition considerably.  Good to know the diagnosis, so the treatment plan can begin.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.

- Anthony Robbins

Offline WendyEliza

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »
Well the way it goes for me is that my panic attacks come and go. I'll be perfectly fine and suddenly I get a panic attack and it's hard for me to recover. Mainly because I am afraid of it happening again so I begin avoiding certain situations. It takes me about a couple of months for me to get my life back to normal and then once I do I live anxiety and panic free for a year or more until it happens again. I don't know if this is what you mean or not.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worrywort87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:28:25 AM »
After a severe panic attack I'm left with this horrible feeling that can last for years after.Every couple of years I have a huge episode of panic and then after a year or 2 I'll start to feel like myself again.Then it'll happen all over again.After a bad episode everything looks and feels different.My house doesn't feel like home,I don't get the same feeling when it's sunny outside,my family members don't seem the same.My perception of everything gets altered for a long time and since my first attack at 14,I would say I have never felt right again.After a panic attack I live in fear of getting another,so I avoid all kinds of social situations that I would normally take part in.Does anyone get this?

I never feel like "myself" after I have a panic attack.  Typically when I am under a lot of anxiety and have a mild attack I will feel really tired and worn down for several days.  In the past when I have my "episodes AKA severe panic attacks" I have felt "odd" for a month or more.  When I had my first panic attack I was bedridden for about 3 months before I got back on my feet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anonytic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:36:12 AM »
I don't immediately feel normal after a panic attack. I was feeling really positive, overly postitive, It felt like I was getting everything on track and recovering when I suddenly had a really bad panic attack at work 2 months ago. I had to run off to the toilet and cry. It felt like if I did not cry, I would have vomitted. I also felt like I was about to pass out. When all that was over. I felt tired and worn out and easily anxious for about the next 2 weeks before I started stablising. I wasn't positive anymore though. I was just normally feeling low. I've decided that feeling low as long as it doesnt hinder everyday life, is normal for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline indymsw

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 02:22:27 AM »
I can relate with your experience. During and after my panic attacks it feels as though everything is somehow different.  Like, I know I am home, but it doesn't feel like home, or, I know people but they feel like strangers to me.  It is an absolutely terrifying feeling to have.  In my opinion, it is one of the worst aspects of panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tattoolady14

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 01:12:55 AM »
I totally get what you mean about not feeling like yourself.
In 2007 I had my first big panic attack. It took around a year or so to recover fully. For a long time I felt as though I was in a haze. Everything felt like a dream, people didn't have depth, the air around me was frightening. I would wake up in a panic every couple of hours at night while I slept. After a short stint of agoraphobia thereafter, I pulled myself out from under the covers and out of bed and got help. I was taking Citalopram and was also prescribed Lorazepam to help take the edge off. Finally, through time and proper medication management, I started to feel better.

But here's the kicker, and something extremely important for you to remember in your recovery. I realized that a good amount of my anxiety after the attack was me psyching myself out. I was afraid of having another attack and falling back into the same thing again. I then chose to not be afraid. I decided that I was NOT going to have another one and I was NOT going to be afraid anymore. While our fight or flight responses in overdrive cause anxiety, we are the ones who aggravate it. You must choose not to worry or fear having another attack. Learn to accept what you cannot control and control what you can, through thinking logically and pushing away your fears. I often find myself scolding myself if I feel like I'm getting anxious. I remind myself there is absolutely no reason at all to feel this way, that its just my stupid brain again making a mess of things and to refuse to let it take hold of me.

There is one thing I have learned through all of this and it applies to each and every human being. There is a big difference between fear and anxiety. If you can decipher the difference, choose not to fear anything and to manage your anxiety, then you can live a normal life.
Bookmark and Share
On the outside, I'm a blank canvas. On the inside, I'm a masterpiece.

Offline Chris22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »
tattoolady14

Thats's pretty much exactly what happens to me.I'll look at my family and they just look weird and dull and like I'm in a weird dream,this just causes more panic.This is my third attack and I always thought when I got over the last one that I knew exactly what to do if it happened again.I was going to throw myself back into life and keep doing the things I love and stay positive and not let things get me down.But I'm two weeks into this nightmare now and I went to a friends house the other night to watch a movie and spent the whole time struggling to hold it together.Something so simple and normal as to sit and watch a movie with a friend has become impossible.It's just constant,there's the attacks and between them is just worry and sadness.Not even a minute of normality at any stage of the day.Despite all my effort it has just wore me down.The attacks are getting more frequent because my 'defensive wall' has been knocked down.There's also new symtoms that I haven't had before like a pressure feeling in my head,weak and wobbly legs and an irrational fear of seizures and falling over.I was just getting in control of my life and now it has been snatched away again.Hopefully I can start to rebuild again.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: