Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety without feeling anxious?  (Read 11433 times)

Offline chitan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety without feeling anxious?
« on: June 19, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
Hey everyone. My name's Jake, and I'm new here.  :action-smiley-065:

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before, but I've searched and I really can't find anything.

Does anyone ever get the physical anxiety symptoms without "feeling" anxious? Or have a panic attack without actually "feeling" panic?

Sometimes, I'll be sitting at my desk at work, when all of a sudden I start to get the symptoms: Bad brain fog, confusion, cold hands, dizziness, depersonalization, derealization, heart palpitations, etc. but I'm not feeling anxious inside. I have had 2 or 3 panic attacks (which are really just extreme anxiety episodes) that have been the same way. Does that make sense?

Anyone else ever have this?

Thanks guys!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chicubs1978

• Rec's: 4
  • Better living through pharmacological intervention
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety without feeling anxious?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »
I've been feeling the sane way lately and was wondering if it's the meds I'm on or what.  My neck will get real tense and I'll get a dull headache too.
Bookmark and Share
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Offline SoonerRyan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:02:50 AM »
That's exactly what happens to me.  I'm not worried about anything that I'm aware of.  I just hits be out of no where.  Some days I'm fine and other days I feel anxious and I don't know why.  Very frustrating.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jezzicho

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:37:34 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how it started for me.  Never had any kind of anxiety before.  Too much caffeine, a tensing neck, and sudden brain fog started me on this course.
Best to get things checked out now before it takes on a life of it's own.  When it started for me, the physical symptoms themselves brought on my anxiety, and they happened so often it was all I had on my mind.  If this has just started, seek counseling or relaxation techniques of some sort, as it can get a hold of you if you let it make you anxious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jen2213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:02:27 AM »
This is what the doctors diagnose as Generalized Anxiety Disorder...a general feeling of anxiousnes or symptoms coming out of nowhere, it can also be Panic disorder which is where you panic for no apparent reason.

Extremely normal; that's what most people go through and how it started for me. I really only have maybe 1 "real" panic attack every 2-3 months but it is the other symptoms that affect me on a daily basis. The anxiety attacks scared me so bad that I am now agoraphobic and can't leave the house alone :(
Bookmark and Share
I have CDO, it's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!!

Offline bellalamb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:04:08 AM »
hi jake!
that is exactly what happens to me too. ive had one sitting in a beauty salon, walking down the street and most recently, at my desk at work, and nothing of note was happening good or bad at the time. its just our twisted minds messing with us. lucky us! sometimes it helps me to cry because im releasing some of my pent up energy. ive also tried tension tamer tea to try to calm down. just know you are not alone, if that helps you at all  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zaelaura

• Rec's: 14
  • all gods are created equal
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 12:08:04 PM »
If you aren't experiencing ANY fear, anxiety, worry, stress, etc before/during these attacks, tell your doctor about it. You could be experiencing mild seizures - they can manifest with all of the same symptoms of panic attacks, but can come on without any obvious trigger.
Bookmark and Share
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - S Roberts

"Well behaved women rarely make history" - LT Ulrich

Offline jen2213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:10:57 PM »
February's post might scare some people...

I've told the doctor about my 'out of nowhere' panic attacks and they have NEVER mentioned anything about a seizure.
Bookmark and Share
I have CDO, it's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!!

Offline peepo23

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
Jen2213 is spot on. Anxious reactions and physical symptoms do not have to be preceded by what i call 'clear and present' distress or worry. The alarming nature of anxiety and stress is that it can and often does come out of nowhere, which is why it can often result in a person wrongly attributing their symptoms as being signs of a serious illness. Nonetheless, you should contact your doctor, but don't go with any thoughts that you could be experiencing seizures! that's obscenely unlikely.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zaelaura

• Rec's: 14
  • all gods are created equal
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »
He's saying he's not having any symptoms of anxiety - if he has never had any official diagnosis of an anxiety disorder (I'm not saying he hasn't - he didn't post a lot of information), he needs to address his physical symptoms as physical symptoms... there are too few people who are made aware that the symptoms of mild seizures can present with the same symptoms as panic attacks.... my post wasn't made to scare - it was made so that he can rule out that possibility, or so he can get the treatment he might need if that is, in fact, what his problem is. If he is, in fact, having mild epileptic seizures, it is a lot better for him to get them treated than to ignore them as 'panic attacks' and end up getting worse....

I'm not trying to diagnose the poor guy. I'm suggesting that he bring it up with a medical doctor who can evaluate him and give him a medical opinion.

Edit:
Calling it 'obscenely unlikely' is just offensive. Only 3% of the population is affected by GAD (only 17.5% of those with GAD ever have regular panic attacks). 4% of the population is affected by at least one epileptic seizure in their lives, and over 2% of the population are chronic epileptics.... so please don't underestimate how prominent seizures are....
Bookmark and Share
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - S Roberts

"Well behaved women rarely make history" - LT Ulrich

Offline peepo23

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »
I understand your approach, but him having said that he's experienced 2 or 3 panic attacks with similar symptoms in the past and the fact that he's in an anxiety forum should probably be taken as the big clue. I agree with you that he should his doctor, I just think it's probably best that on an anxiety forum, one should be careful suggesting things like 'seizures', although I more than accept that you weren't trying to cause any worry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxious.w.GAD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
You are not alone, Jake. What you are describing are classic symptoms that people with GAD go through. I can go through weeks at a time of experiencing random "episodes". I find it is usually when I am in the midst of a medicine change until everything balances out. Note: Cold medications and other medications can cause seritonine syndrome if you are taking meds for anxiety. That may also be what is happening, but like said above not much info was provided.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pauly j

• Rec's: 42
  • Constant and Never ending Improvement.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
Physical symptoms of anxiety still presents itself even though you are not feeling anxious.  For instance, feeling calm and relaxed, you may still experience a number of symptoms, from brain fog, nausea, numbness, twitches, depersonalization, blurriness, etc.  Yes, symptoms can still exists where feeling anxious is not.  It is all in the way that you interpret these symptoms. If you misinterpret any of these, or other bodily symptoms as dangerous, or life threatening, certainly it can cause one to feel anxious!

Having a panic attack and not feeling panicked is a little different.  When you have a panic attack, your body goes through some physiological changes, and a sudden burst of fear, therefore, when you have a panic attack, you are certainly "feeling" panicked! 

Extreme fear is present in panic attacks, whereas with anxiety, you can have symptoms without feeling anxious.

pauly j
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.

- Anthony Robbins

Offline jen2213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
I'm sorry if I offended you February...when I saw that I just imagined everyone on the forum who has anxiety overloading the phones and ERs with questions to their doctors LOL

I have The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook and they do not ever mention that it could be seizures...

Thyroid gland
Adrenal glands
Poor nutrition
Candidiasis
Blood sugar levels (Diabetes and hypo/hyper glycemia)
Body Toxicity
PMS or PMDD
Menopause
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Insomnia

Those are the major things that can be confused with Anxiety and are more likely than seizures. You should have these things checked by your doctor and start eating a healthier diet and exercising regularly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jen2213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 04:34:52 PM »
It could also be as simple as "you are coming down with a cold"

I had 8 panic attacks in one day...all while I was lying in bed doing exactly what I do any other day..the next day both my kids had a cold, my husband got it the next week and I still am feeling as though I am fighting it off.
Bookmark and Share