Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Gnawing pain below sternum  (Read 12693 times)

Offline Kaley1972

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Gnawing pain below sternum
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:54:08 AM »
Hey all,

Please let me know if any of you have experienced this kind of pain.  I was at work and I had some gnawing pain below my sternum.  It would go away or lessen is severity if I would stand up and stretch.  This lasted for hours yesterday.  It felt like a burning pain right behind my breastbone, at times it felt better if I pushed on it or massaged the area.  It was causing me a lot of panic.  The pain lasted for hours...  I was ready to take myself to the ER.  I was so worried that I was having a heart attack..  However, I just had a physical the day before, and was in the ER about 2 weeks ago with a full cardiac workup.  The more I thought about the pain the worse it became.  It was so scary...  Does anyone else get a gnawing, burning pain below the breastbone that can last for hours???   Any advice would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline janaboo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Gnawing pain below sternum
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
Every day for the last 5 months.  Anxiety can do that to you.  Also, GERD or Acid Reflux.  If and when it happens again, chew some tums or keep some pepcid handy... if they help with the discomfort it could be one of those and time to go to the doctor for an official diagnosis and treatment.   :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline janaboo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »
BTW, what I meant (by every day for the last five months) is yes, I have been having it as well.  Mine radiates all the way to my back.  They are doing all of the appropriate tests to ensure they are treating it properly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline justagirlintheworld

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 08:10:18 AM »
I had this for about a month and it is finally going away after an Upper GI scope that I had three days ago. The doc found nothing. Not even Acid Reflux. It was that same gnawing pain and pressure. It radiated up to my collarbones and to the middle of my back, even causing some breathing problems. It even hurt my sternum to wear a bra. I originally thought I was having a heart attack--went to the ER and came out with a perfect cardiogram. HOWEVER, in my case, I know that it is alll caused by ANXIETY. As soon as it started going away, I started getting some nuerological feelings in my head (which I've had before). Also anxiety. I've had every test I possibly could and need to face that fact that about 95% of the health symptoms I experience are ANXIETY rearing it's ugly head, and as soon as one worried-over symptom starts to go away a new one arrives.

I think what happens is there might be a mild discomfort, or strange feeling somewhere...minor aches and pains that EVERYONE gets. But, because we are anxious-natured, we say, "What if it's _____________?" and we fixate on the area and that just makes us more aware of every little nuance of what we are feeling, basically turning a tiny zit into a festering boil, so to speak.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: