Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: EKG said possible left atrial enlargement  (Read 13771 times)

Offline LQ

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
EKG said possible left atrial enlargement
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:04:56 PM »
I was in the ER this morning with a panic attack. Had the chance to read the EKG machine readout and it said normal sinus rhythm, as well as possible left atrial enlargement, some other things I forget and "abnormal ECG." Both the ER doc and the nurse said my EKG was fine. But, I'm still panicking! Thoughts? Could it have been the panic attack causing changes the EKG picked up and erroneously recorded as abnormal?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AdrienneK

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: EKG said possible left atrial enlargement
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:16:02 PM »
This is something I would worry and panic over too, they let you leave the hospital, however.  I would call your primary care physician and if you don't have one call the hospital and have the ER doc explain this to you.  When you are in panic, words go in one ear and out the other and questions and good communication is almost unheard of.  Now that you may be in a better position to think and ask, call and get your answers so you don't end up back in the ER tonight.  Don't fret over calling anyone or feeling like a bother, just do it.
Bookmark and Share
Consider every mistake you make an asset.

Offline ashcrash85

• Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
  • Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Bazinga!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:13:05 PM »
Im not a cardiologist so I can't answer this for you, but I can give my observations and experiences in my 11 yr history with panic:

Firstly, and foremost, they let you leave the hospital. If there were anything dire that required help and treatment in a quick time frame they cannot release you. That being said, it must not be serious.

Second, although some do not agree in this, it has been noted by many in the throes of a panic attack that an EKG will read abnormal when in fact the heart is fine. This can be because of skips and flutters that we feel as well as things we don't. But it's all no big deal. If palps are a concern for you know that it has been found that palpitations of skips, stops, flutters, thuds, thumps, double beats, etc are not indicative, predictive, or diagnostic of nearly anything.

In the end, I would do 2 things. Ask the ER for a copy of your EKG, while you got them on the phone ask them if it be possible that the ER doc explain the EKG readings. Then take it to your PCP and discuss with him/her.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mizzou

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
If they thought it was bad, they would have done another EKG or a ECHO. Sometimes panic can make your heart palpitate, and if u move during testing it could make false results
Bookmark and Share

Offline ashgator

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Hi!! In December I went into an emergency clinic for bad anxiety problems and they did an EKG and told me the EXACT SAME THING! (possible left atrial enlargement). Me being my paranoid self, I had an echocardiogram (where they take pictures of my heart), and everything was perfectly fine! No enlargement, just some TRACE regurgitation in my mitral valve that is VERY common and causes NO symptoms whatsoever.  I have since had another EKG in early Feb due to a severe panic attack and my EKG was fine! So try not to worry, it doesn't mean anything serious and it may not even be the case!

Hope this helps!! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline allyboo2

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:08:23 AM »
Did you know left ventricular hypertrophy (enlarged left ventricle) is more common than right? And athletes and pregnant women have larger left ventricles to pump more blood?

Ventricles can be also slightly enlarged from chronic hypertension.  I'm guessing your BP was pretty high since you were panicking, but what is it normally?  It the cause is high BP, they just treat that.
Bookmark and Share
"Man. I went to the doctor the other day. All this guy did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go to see Dr. Acula." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »
My friend who is an internist/cardiologist said that left atrial enlargement may be perfectly OK.
He recommends an echocardiogram to make sure all is OK.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: