Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: sore throat for over 2 weeks? trying not to freak  (Read 38448 times)

Offline SkittishSari

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
sore throat for over 2 weeks? trying not to freak
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:23:31 AM »
Hi all, please talk me out of my current anxiety bout. I'm getting over a sinus infection and bronchitis but my throat is STILL sore and has been for over two weeks. I am afraid it's something sinister, like throat cancer, or that it's suggestive of some sort of underlying immune system issue. Has this happened to anyone else? Could it just be postnasal drip, which I still have? Has this happened to anyone?
Thanks for the help
Bookmark and Share

Offline gridder

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
Re: sore throat for over 2 weeks? trying not to freak
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »
Have you been tested for strep? I think you'd be sicker if you had it that long, though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SkittishSari

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
I don't think it's strep because it isn't that bad and I don't feel sick anymore. Plus, I was antibiotics. I've also never had strep even though I've been exposed a ton, so I don't think I can get it that easily. Anyone have this before?? Please help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline panda4777

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
Are you coughing or having drainage in your throat? I think a sore throat is normal after getting over a sinus infection AND bronchitis, assuming you have been coughing alot among other things. Though, I would still contact your doc and make sure he is aware of this. HTH!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hamsterswheel

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
Hi SkittishSari

I honestly would not worry about it. Not sure what the weather is like where you are but in UK there are lots of virus's and infections going about. Plus if you are just getting over the bronchitis and and sinus infection then defo I would imagine you would have a sore throat.

I have been bunged up and congested for a few weeks and have a sore throat with it too. It goes away for a few days then comes back. The funny thing is that when I went into work two of my colleagues were saying about how sore their throat's were and I just always think in amazement, 'oh my god, see people without HA get a sore throat too, the difference is, the just see it a s a sore throat!!' Also the other day a friend said to me she has had a cold for six weeks and coughing with it. And then other friends were saying the same. Little did they know the conversations going on in my head thinking 'see lot of people have the cold and sore throat and no-one except you is worried'!!

I honestly don't think you have to be worried.

I hope this helps you - you certainly helped me earlier. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline starr77

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »
Hey hun, I had a sore throat once for well over 6+ months, I swore I had throat cancer! Had numerous test,ER visits etc...finally found a doc that would listen and that has the day I was diagnosed with GAD.He said the sore throat was from anxiety. He gave me Zoloft and the sore throat went away. Unfortunately the GAD/HA never really did because as soon as the throat stopped hurting I went to ovarian cancer(had stomach pain) then Kidney cancer(had back pain) and now I'm stuck on cervical cancer! GEEEEEZ!!! Anyways anxiety can give you a chronic sore throat and the more you worry about it the longer it will stick around,even if the sickness..cold etc is gone. Hang in their!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MichGuy

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
I had a random sore throat for a while. Swore it was throat cancer (Grandpa had it and I used to smoke so double whammy for me!) -- Went to an ENT who stuck a camera down my throat, and no throat cancer. He related it to acid reflux. Funny thing was after I knew there was nothing wrong , the sore throat went away a day or so later. Powerful stuff our minds are!

Postnasal drip always gets me with a sorethroat. Sometimes I notice the soreness before I notice the drainage itself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 29sillygirl

• Rec's: 9
  • Silly smiles
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
Sari,

I had the exact same thing about a month ago.  In my case I know I have sinus issues.  But this was a wicked sore throat.

May have lasted more than 2 weeks.  Worse in morning usually; then sore all day.  Was getting hoarse, etc.  Of course I went to throat cancer too!!!   Well, after talking to my sweet brother in law, who offered to take me to ENT, it went away.

The power of the mind indeed.

You know you were treated for infection, but that dang post nasal drip can last for ages.  I found using nose spray my doctor recommended helped.  But think it just went away on its own. 

Now you know it happens.  Do revisit doctor if it doesn't clear up.  Can't chalk everything up to nerves.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SkittishSari

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 06:58:29 AM »
Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for all the responses! I am wayyy better today, of course. :) Hamsterswheel, the weather and viruses have been the same here in Denmark- crazy cold and damp! I am not used to it; I am a california girl married to a Dane and we just don't have these prolonged cold/flu seasons over there like there is here.

But, of course, now that my sore throat is on the mend, I've moved onto something else- the weird buzzing in my leg! Cursed HA!
Bookmark and Share

Offline SkittishSari

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:28:09 AM »
I forgot to add that I have asthma and was using a pretty strong steriod inhaler, and I read that sore throat is a side effect! I stopped a few days ago and it's MUCH better. I think that may have contributed. Just wanted to add this in case anyone else has asthma. It also made me gain 5 lbs in a week! My doctor in the states gave me one that was way to strong for someone with my level of asthma. But hey, at least I could breathe!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: