Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: tight, tingly hands upon waking?  (Read 10302 times)

Offline esorb

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
tight, tingly hands upon waking?
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
Well, here is my first forum post!  I mentioned in my intro that I have a current fear of scleroderma.  One of my main "symptoms" is a general sunburnt feeling all over my skin, the worst in my face.  In general my skin feels tight, burning, itchy, etc.  And another one I noticed about a month ago was that I woke up with my both my hands asleep and totally puffy.  It went away after waking up and moving around.  Initially I didn't correlate it to scleroderma and actually had no clue about it.  But once I did some googling and found that this particular disease causes the skin to feel to tight, uncomfortable and also causes swelling/stiff hands in the morning, the full blown anxiety started. I even started experiencing GERD, which is a major symptom of this.

I had blood work done to rule out an autoimmune disorder, since scleroderma is autoimmune related and all results were negative.  I also saw my dermatologist last week and she says my face burning issues is rosacea and gave me meds.  Says she can't explain the rest of my body burning sensations.

So now I am left with no explanation for the tight, tingling hands that I am waking up with daily and fear it being scleroderma still since this a major symptom.  I, of course, feel that maybe my tests were wrong since the disease could not be full blown yet and in the begninning stages.  I fear it getting worse and that I may possibly be diagnosed at a later date. 

Anyone else have this issue with their hands and can put my mind at ease?  Is it possiblet that this is just anxiety causing that symptom?  I want to tell myself that but the problem is that I started experiencing it before my fear of scleroderma started, so I am having a hard time convincing myself this time!

Anyhow, thanks for reading and I would love any support you guys have to offer!
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Rec's: 56
    • Poke This Member
Re: tight, tingly hands upon waking?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:55 PM »
Hi esorb,

I used to get very tingly hands with a very sore tight feeling every morning when i woke up, in fact sometimes it was so bad that it was the cause of me waking up.

I found it was due to 2 things, 1) anxiety and 2) my sleeping position.
I used to always sleep on my stomach, with my face on the pillow and my hands underneath my pillow... since i changed my sleeping position and began beta blockers to moderate my anxiety, it never happens to me at all now.

All the best1
Bookmark and Share

Offline allyboo2

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
I started waking up with tight, tingly or numb hands about 15 years ago.  Turned out to be carpal tunnel and what you describe sounds exactly like it.  Next time you wake up with tingly hands, see if your pinky feels less numb.  When that nerve is compressed, all the fingers feel numb but the pinky feels less numb.  Or try holding your arms out in front of you and bending your wrist so your fingers are pointing straight up and your hand is at a 90 degree angle.  Hold it there for at least 30 seconds and see if you start to feel numbness or tingling in your fingers.  Bending your wrist at this angle pinches that nerve in the wrist that causes carpal tunnel.   That's how the doctor diagnosed me actually.  I just wear a wrist brace to sleep sometimes, but I have friends who've had the simple surgery to fix carpal tunnel.

Otherwise, I would say you just slept on it funny. If it goes away after a few minutes, I'd definitely say it's just your hands getting circulation back.   
Bookmark and Share
"Man. I went to the doctor the other day. All this guy did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go to see Dr. Acula." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline esorb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:03:05 AM »
Thank you both for your replies! 

I actually saw a neurologist for my dizziness recently and I mentioned the shoulder pain I have been suffering from for the last 6 years.  I have never been concerned over it and assumed it was related to working a desk job for the last 6 years, so obviously carpel tunnel.  He did some tests and agreed it was carpel tunnel.  However, he then did some nerve conduction test and it all came back normal!  That freaked me out!  I assumed it was just carpel tunnel, which doesn't scare me at all and I was ok with, but when he said it wasn't, now this tingling in my hands freaks me out.  :( 

I do find that I somewhat clench my fists in the night, possibly due to anxiety and stress.  I wonder if that is causing it?  But I am not always doing it when I wake, just sometimes.  But yeah, it wakes me often in the night. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline allyboo2

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
I still say carpal tunnel, especially since you type all the time.  Even if the nerve compression wasn't definitive for the dr, what you're describing sounds just like it.  If you're clenching your hands while you sleep, then, yeah, that would definitely cause that too.  But if it goes away after you move your hands and shake them to get some circulation back in, I wouldn't give it another thought.
Bookmark and Share
"Man. I went to the doctor the other day. All this guy did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go to see Dr. Acula." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline sportybears

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »
hey esorb,
i too have rosaceca, and last night had tingly hands and they also felt very cramped, like it was hard to close them or grip something.  Not sure if there a connection there, but you are not alone
Bookmark and Share

Offline esorb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:24:46 PM »
Thank you everyone! 

Allyboo, I agree...I think carpel tunnel may still be an issue bc after work, my shoulder is horrible.  And if I carry my 1 year old a lot, it is REALLY bad.  So I think that it could definitely be causing the problems, at least I hope so.

And sportybear, that is so weird!  I wonder if there is some connection?  Thanks for easing some of my worry and letting me know I am not alone!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: