Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Stress Related Chest Pain  (Read 11677 times)

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Stress Related Chest Pain
« on: January 25, 2011, 08:46:15 PM »
I've been under a lot of stress at work lately and have a big return of the stress related chest pain. I am a 30 year old male that has had more test done on my heart than somebody who actually has a heart problem, so I know it is not my heart. I hate the discomfort of the pain that is in the center of my chest. When I'm under stress my chest wall gets very tight. Anybody else get this?
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline pauly j

• Rec's: 42
  • Constant and Never ending Improvement.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Stress Related Chest Pain
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:07:42 PM »
YES I get this alot of times especially when i am stressed to the max!  I hate it and i fell so powerless when it occurs!  e I cannot breathe well and the pain seems sometimes so unbearable and i suffer rather intensely!  I do know however that my heart is fine because just like you i have had all the tests done and said to have a healthy heart!  That gives me peace of mind to know that I am ok!  Just anxiety with the chestpains from excess stress!  Just know that you are safe and Breathe!  I know it sucks and is so Not Fun! :P

Take care

Pauly j
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.

- Anthony Robbins

Offline SeaRunner

• Rec's: 8
  • Suiting up every day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:54:08 AM »
Pain in the chest area is a common symptom of anxiety and panic.  It is typically caused by tightening of the muscles around the chest, which gives the feeling of tightness.  I often get this symptom with my anxiety along with a burning sensation in the same areas, often from armpit to armpit across my pecs.  You have to remember that when we are headed into panic, our primitive fight or flight response is kicking in, albeit at the wrong time, to keep us safe and out of danger.  One of the myriad of things that happens in our bodies during the fight or flight response is the preparation to use our major muscle groups in order to defend ourselves or quickly get away.  Since we are really not in danger during periods of anxiety or during a panic attack, we interpret this symptom as pain rather than what it really is: a survival mechanism.

Our bodies are really quite amazing.  If we could sit back and see all that is going on during a panic attack as just an observer, the show is incredible.  The sheer number and magnitude of the physiological responses and neural and nerve activity during a panic attack are a testament to how well built and complex our bodies really are.

Jamie
Bookmark and Share
"Common things occur commonly. Uncommon things don't.  Therefore, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." -- C.J. Peters

Offline Overcomer

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Have NO ANXIETY about anything...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:15:34 PM »
I am SO glad that I have found these posts!  I have consistent chest tightness, pain, discomfort and sometimes feel that my heart is going to stop.  Just like all of you I have had a whole gamut of testing done clearing me of any heart related issues but the sensations are SO REAL and cause such discomfort that it is hard to accept that all is well.  I keep thinking worst case scenario but am slowly starting to just accept.  Acceptance is difficult but we need to realize that all of the MD's and tests that we have gone through cannot be wrong.  Take rest in knowing that you will be okay!  Hope all of you have been feeling better from these sensations as this post is pretty old.
Bookmark and Share
I KNOW my God is truly sovereign, even when I can't comprehend. Therefore I choose to TRUST in HIM.  He WILL come through!

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »
Yes, I get the same thing! It's so annoying...it's not enough to make me panic since I know what it is, it just really bothers me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tori2103

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • ~ Tori ~
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »
Yep, I definitely get this almost daily. I am always under a lot of stress from work/home and then when I get chest discomfort ... I get even more stressed and it gets worse. It's a hard one to deal with. I am glad that you know for sure it's not your heart. I bet that is at least somewhat reassuring.
Bookmark and Share
<3 Tori <3

AIM: Tori2103

Offline ss192276

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
I live with this daily.Its worse in the morning.Very bothersome
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 02:29:53 AM »
but the sensations are SO REAL and cause such discomfort that it is hard to accept that all is well
They may well be very real. Among my collection of anxiety related stuff is angiogram footage of someone having a panic attack during the procedure. Clearly visible is one of the main arteries going into spasm for a second or two. Not long enough to cause any damage to the heart, but possibly long enough to cause pain.

I have no idea how common this is, but given that one of the main bodily functions of serotonin is to regulate blood vessel tone (constriction and dilation) it might be fairly common. Often enough for coronary artery spasm to be recognized as a factor in chest pain.

Is it a cause for concern? Probably not as long as your cardiovascular health is good, or you're being effectively treated for heart disease if it isn't.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline manos73

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »
For years I dealt with stress by drinking and eating.  This brought on acid reflux or GERD.  Which at times makes you think that you're having a heart attack.  Add that to my anxiety and that was 3 trips to the ER in about a month.  I thought I was dying.  They thought I was prescription hunting. 

Just saying that there are other health issues that can trigger an anxiety attack if you don't know what is going on.  Now that I treat GERD I just suffer the more normal freakout anxiety attacks; not the ones that were more physiological in origin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MsMovieMadness

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
Yes I get this all the time. Like you, I've been through the ringer with the doctors and checking my heart and all. Everything is normal and healthy. I get the chest pain if I get stressed, these last couple of days it's been because I get so overwhelmed with homework and school. I am a college student so working full time and going to school full time is really taking a toll on me. My chest pain feels more like someone is pinching my heart. It can be very uncomfortable. To help alleviate it, I find deep breathing helps a lot. Most times after I do this, the pain goes away entirely. Remember also to try to not to let it bother you. Anxiety and its symptoms are like a badly behaved child, the more you give into it, the worse it gets. Try to ignore it and not let it bother you.

Here's a deep breathing exercise that really helps me:

Imagine your lungs have three levels: bottom, middle, top. Start by taking three breaths: inhaling filling the first level, inhaling filling the second, and inhaling filling the top. (Your lungs should be entirely filled with air by now) Hold your breath for 5-7 seconds. Now release your air using the same method in reverse. Breathe out let out the air from top, breathe out letting it go from middle and out again releasing all air from bottom level. Do this up to ten times. This should really help and make you feel much better after you're done. Let me know how it goes for you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: