Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: really worried about dark urine in the morning  (Read 77232 times)

Offline smmaho

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
really worried about dark urine in the morning
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »
Every morning the first think i do when i get up is go to the toilet and every morning my urine is a very dark yellow almost brown colour. During the day my urine is a normal light yellow/clear colour.

I always thought this was normal however the dr did a generic checkup blood test and found that my liver function test showed slightly high results. And now i have put both together and am really worried.

I also wake up every morning with a very dry and sticky mouth and i don't know if they are related.

If anyone else can tell me if this happens to you, or if it is normal or if it sounds like something serious.

thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline renaed

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: really worried about dark urine in the morning
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »
sounds normal.....i think its because you haven't had anything to drink in hours and its been "sitting in there" all night.
Bookmark and Share

Offline uh60mtp13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »
Its quite possible your dehydrated from not drinking all evening and from any heat you have in your house in the evenings. Try drinking a glass or two of water an hour or so before bed and see if that helps after a few days. Of course, follow up with your doctor to be on the safe side but I think it clearing up during the day is a good sign.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Prewilson15

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »
Your urine is very concentrated in the morning because of the fact that you haven't drank or moved any urine for 8 or more hours.

It's normal to have darker urine in the morning.  It's also normal during the day if you are dehydrated as well.

I like when I take my Vitamin B Complex (helps with my anxiety) because it turns my urine a fluorescent yellow.  I'm easily amused.  :)

Paula
Bookmark and Share

Offline Carryon

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
More to the point, have you discussed this with your doctor? Why speculate and worry when you can ask your doctor about the connection between the test results and what you see and whether what you see is simply from not drinking enough water or whatever.
Bookmark and Share
The pursuit of truth is worth more than possessing it.

Offline smmaho

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
No i havn't asked the dr about it yet because i have only really started to worry about the connection. I am getting the liver function test done again next week and if the results are still high then she wants me to come back in and discuss it. So if it is still high then i will tell her about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wishingforcalm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:07:32 PM »
Not sure about the liver function thing...or if that would have anything to do with the color of your urine, but you definitely need to hydrate.  If you're dehydrated, your urine will be dark.  (additionally, if you take any vitamins before bed, that will also make it dark) but the face that you have a dry mouth AND your urine is dark says you need to hydrate!  Try a little experiment and drink tons of water for a day, (until you pee clear) and see if it's not a bit lighter when you wake up.  I bet you'll feel better.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrownofThorns

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
I get that sometimes, it just means that you didn't drink anything for hours (because you were sleeping).
Bookmark and Share

Offline uh60mtp13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:48:45 PM »
No i havn't asked the dr about it yet because i have only really started to worry about the connection. I am getting the liver function test done again next week and if the results are still high then she wants me to come back in and discuss it. So if it is still high then i will tell her about it.

Why wait to tell her if the test is still high?  I would tell her regardlessly.  For one, it is apparently bothering you, which is totally understandable, and at least having her say its nothing to worry about will be a reassurance (rather than you having that little doubt in the back of your mind).  Two, I really think we have to paint as detailed picture for doctors as possible.  If you don't give them all the information, you make it harder and harder for them to make an accurate diagnosis and start your on the most appropriate treatment plan quickly.  If there really is something wrong, which is more than likely improbable, you want to catch it as soon as possible.  Again, highly unlikely but if your worried about your health, the quicker something is dealt with, generally the easier and more positive the recovery process is.  Plus, you would hate to really have something wrong with you that goes on for months that could have been fixed, but you waited too long to paint that accurate picture.  Lastly, and this is incredibly rare, while there are false positives on tests, there are such a thing as false negatives.

I hope this isn't scaring you.  That's not my intent.  I just don't want you to hide anything from your doctor.  It's kind of like the old saying, "Bad news doesn't get better with time."  Remember, doctor's are there to make us feel better and help us.  If your don't think yours is, then its time to find a new one.

Good luck to you, like I said in my earlier post, it is more than likely nothing to worry about, but be honest with your doctor and you will have the satisfaction of knowing for sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline smmaho

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
I have been drinking a glass of water before I go to bed and drink a little bit in the morning. As a result the colour has gotten lighter in the mornings. I take this as a good sign but i shall keep an eye on it and let the dr know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noahs Mom

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 06:34:01 AM »
Glad that it's gettin' better!!  My hubs always forgets to flush the toilet in the morning (because he wakes up when I'm in the shower so he doesn't want to zap all the cold water out of my shower).  Anyway, I used to get worried about the color of his pee.  And then he told me he drinks a pot of coffee or more a day at work.  Mystery solved!
Bookmark and Share
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jammie007

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
Speaking from experience (mum had liver transplant + I've done some work with hepatotoxicity with oral steroids for wasting patients), when your liver goes bust, you'll know about it. DON'T worry about your pee being dark OR liver function tests, enzyme activity can vary massively from person to person (I for instance have permanently high bilirubin, my liver/pancreas is the healthiest the hepatologist has seen)

Once again, don't worry, there is nothing to worry about
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondriac personal trainer, always here to give people free fat loss/muscle building advice

Offline Sandra01

• Rec's: 20
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 07:38:47 AM »
NOah's Mom why is that so? I drink half a pot of coffee a day too and so does my husband and sometimes my urine is very concentrated too and I know my husbands makes me worried too.

Is there any explanation why coffee would make you to that?
Bookmark and Share
There Can Never Be A More Beautiful You...
Jonny Diaz

Offline Noahs Mom

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
Sandra, I have no idea... lol!  I figure "what goes in is what goes out"! 
It all depends on what we eat and drink.  I drink only clear liquids - mainly only water so I suppose there's less to filter out??  Dunno.
Bookmark and Share
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 07:15:02 AM »
I know this is an old post, but has the dark urine issue resolved?
Lately my Pee is dark. I usually only drink about 12 ounces of water a day, but maybe 26 ounces of coffee. Does coffee make urine dark?
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Tags: