Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared to go to the doctor  (Read 8720 times)

Offline rwmoon

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared to go to the doctor
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:28 AM »
So I have pretty much self diagnosed myself with an anxiety disorder.  I have had panic attacks and trouble sleeping since I was 12 or so.  I feel dizzy sometimes, feel warm over my chest, have a general feeling of being detached.  The one that has given me the most sleepless nights is feeling like I have to manually control my breathing.  Once I do fall asleep I will awaken almost immediately with a gasp. Lately my "symptoms" have been out of control.  My mom recently had a battle with stomach cancer which I think has triggered it all.  She is on her last chemo treatment and doing great by the way.   I have never in my life had a family physician or had a blood test done.  I am constantly worried that if I go to a doctor they will find that I have some terminal disease and tell me I'm going to die.  I know that I should go but I'm just a big wuss about the whole thing.  I guess my concern is maybe its not really anxiety at all and something is really wrong with me but I am just too scared to find out.  As obvious as the answer is I just can't make myself get a doctor.  I don't really know what I am expecting by posting all this...maybe just to vent these feelings somewhere other than my brain. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared to go to the doctor
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
Hi there:) Welcome to the Zone...you are NOT alone in your trials...find assurances here and seek out your healing path:) I just wrote a post about this issue...I just copied it here.

You developed a fear of going to the Docs office...this is pretty common with Anxiety Disorders. These bugger of disorders give us irrational fears...it's just part of it, so don't feel silly at all:) But, that being said, I don't think you'll be able to fully desensitize yourself from this fear BEFORE you go to the Doc. Sometimes we, simply, have to face a fear and DO IT ANYWAY:) You have many years of experiences going to the Doc upon which you can draw positive support. You've survived EVERY visit...right? Of course, you'll survive this visit, too:) When we push through a fear, the emotional rewards can feel so great. And speaking of rewards, when you do go to the Doc, reward yourself with something nice, perhaps:) Can you take someone along that understands your current situation...this might ease your fear, as well. Peace and Feel Well:) You can do it:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:01 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't done editing my first post before I hit the send button...whoops!:) You don't have ANY experience with a Doc according to your post. If you can take someone with you that understands your situation, it might alleviate some of your fears. With Health Anxiety, we fear the worst case scenarios...and OVERWHELMINGLY they don't come true. The postive emotional feelings you can get from an "all clear" from the Doc are wonderful, as well. You do have a very powerful trigger for your anxiety, that being your Mom dealing with her health issues. But, even that is going well, as you said:) Certainly, don't feel guilty or silly for having these thoughts...accept them...but do try to push through your fear and go see a Doc. It'll do you good...I'm sure:) Peace and feel well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline constantmover

• Rec's: 57
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »
Never had a family physician or blood test done, well that sounds familiar!  Not because that is the case for me but other friends and definitely my Grandfather was like that and never did go until he was in a desperate situation and then he had to find a doctor which wasn't easy.  You don't want that to be the case for you.  It is important to get a base level and some history for a doctor to make a proper diagnosis if need be for the future.  Think about it, your mother wouldn't be doing so well after being diagnosed with cancer if she hadn't gone to the doctor.  You are looking at this from the wrong perspective.  By going to the doctor it has helped you mother.  The likelihood of having a similar illness to her is extremely unlikely, but even if it were the case, wouldn't you like to know so that you could have it treated instead of letting it get worse and it get past the point of treatment?

Establishing yourself with a doctor is immensely beneficial for your future.  The appointments generally only take about 15 minutes and you are out of there.  In a previous post, I gave tips on going to the doctor and the dentist.  Maybe some of the suggestions will help you.  The initial post was called "Advice????".  Take a look and see if it may help you.  Truly, you may actually find it to be a freeing experience just knowing that you are OK.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GreenThumb

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
Think of it this way - imagine the relief  :angel-smiley-006: that you will feel when you do finally go to the doctor and he/she does all the normal tests etc. and they tell you that yep, you just have an anxiety disorder and there is nothing more serious wrong with you. That alone should be a huge weight off your shoulders if you have been suffering and suspecting this for a while.

I guess you could try and see things on the positive side - this could be the first step towards one day living a happier life where anxiety doesn't dominate your thoughts and actions.
Bookmark and Share
Keep Calm and Carry On...

Offline Carryon

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
It's like that old advertisement for Fram oil filters: you can pay him now or pay him more later.

Not seeing a doctor and getting tests is not going to keep you from getting sick, but when you get sick it will be worse off from every perspective  Better learn to accept having a doctor on yo side now, an established relationship, and it will give you comfort knowing you do.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Bookmark and Share
The pursuit of truth is worth more than possessing it.

Tags: