Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Update: My experience with Buspar to control anxiety  (Read 39329 times)

Offline Roses

• Rec's: 1
  • I'm on my way so don't close that gate!
    • Poke This Member
Update: My experience with Buspar to control anxiety
« on: November 05, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
Hey everyone,

I started Buspar for GAD a week and a half ago (see previous post if curious about dosage) The first 2 times I took it I felt nauseated and realy dizzy (taking it after a meal realy realy helps with this and absorbs betterin my opinion) After that this past weekend I spent with my long distance serious boyfriend and had a complete crying breakdown 1 night.  Now first of all I don't know if I can blame this on the medication.  One of the side effects is aggitation so it's possible. ... or maybe my anxiety was finally decreasing and all those bottled up emotions I had along with anxiety just came flooding out.  Those are some theories who realy knows.  All I know is so far...

BUSPAR HAS WORKED WONDERS ON DECREASING MY ANXIETY.  Of course I don't want to get too excited because it's only been a week and a half, but for the first time in a LONG time I feel calm and have RELIEF.  My pyschiatric nursing professor told me today that she loved seeing me truly smile for the first time and I appear so much more relaxed and it realy shows... and I feel it too!  I went out salsa dancin last night and felt so free and for the fisrst time able to loose myself in the music instead of my anxious thoughts.  I got so many compliments.. and I've never been complimented before on my dancing (cough! or lack there of!) skills.   I don't feel tense in my shoulder, or knots in my stomach, and I feel like I can take a full breath!  Little things don't bother me as much, I don't feel left out as quickly as I used to; even my social anxiety has decreased.  The best description is I can breath again and think clearly.  It's like my thoughts have slowed down too, they're not going 1 million miles per minute. Negative thoughts are still there... I don't believe medicine will ever take away self esteem issues, but it gives you the freedom to slow them down so you can see negative thoughts for what they are and learn to reverse them.  I'm also focusing on eating right, sleeping right, and taking those vitamins DAILY now that I have the calmness of mind to do so.  Also I have alot more energy at the end of the last few days because my anxiety isn't exausting me as much. 

I ALMOST QUIT BUSPAR after my breakdown last saturday, but I'm so glad I stuck with it because I can realy feel it begenning to work.  My advice is don't thrown in the towel on meds until you've given them at least 3 weeks to work and for the side effects to wear off.  And if you suffer from GAD ask  your doc to give Buspar a try... I feel like this drug is highly underated. 

I'll post again in a week and let you know if I still feel the same.  Ha i feel as if I'm using myself as an experiment.  My professor warned me that buspar has "given out" before for previous patients of hers so I'm hoping that doesn't happen!  If it does she mentioned a small dose of celexa often does the trick. 
Bookmark and Share
*~Pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars; I could realy use a wish right now~*

Offline sparky5556

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Update: My experience with Buspar to control anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:05 PM »
I take buspar myself and it does work wonders.  It has really brought my anxiety down a whole lot!  Thanks for sharing!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mgray

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
I started it a few weeks ago at a small dose and it is just now starting to do the trick!!! By the way my sister has been on it for 4 years and it has not pooped out on her yet!
Bookmark and Share
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Offline Roses

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »
wow!  Thats great :)  Def gives me hope, thanks for the responses!!  and I hope it continues doing the trick for  you
Bookmark and Share
*~Pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars; I could realy use a wish right now~*

Offline weird era

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:57:35 PM »
does wonders for GAD. but.. can you really rely on this drug to stop a panic attack?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roses

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
Hey weird era,

It can help reduce the risk, but it won't stop a panic attack.  A benzodiazapine will help stop a panic attack.  Buspar decreases your general anxiety and thus helps prevent anxiety to build up and cause a panic attack. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline joyce49

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:46:03 PM »
I have a question. I take Klonopin every day along with effexor xr.

I tried buspar in the past but I went off the klonopin and I got real depressed.

I know those that take an anti anxiety like klonopin, xanax etc...have a tougher time with the buspar from what I have read because it takes longer to take effect and might not be as effective although Iam not sure of that.

Anyway my question is can I take the klonopin with buspar, tappering the klonopin while on buspar? I like buspar cause it has such little side effects and I also believe it is underated.

Thanks!
Joyce
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roses

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »
Hi Joyce!

Thanks for your question.  I double checked all 3 drugs you listed with a drug interaction checker and your answer is no, there should not be any interaction and it's a great idea to taper down the klonopin while tapering up the dose of buspar so that you decrease the chances of breakthruough anxiety.  Also, benzos carry with them potential prolonged use SEs so it's always great to free yourself from them if you can.  Keep in mind that because klonopin is a benzodiazapine one of the SE and withdrawl symptoms is depression.  Also, I'm not certain whether to attribute this to buspar, but when I first started buspar I did have a day or 2 of feeling not myself and depressed... but it passed and the anxiety relief is worth putting up with the SEs in my opinion.  My take home message is not to judge the effect of buspar until you've taken it as perscribed for 3 weeks because thats how long it takes to reach its max effect and you don't want to throw in the towel too soon.  Also if you try to back down from the Klonopin and feel depressed again, give your body time to adjust and if the depression doesn't go away after a week I would talk to your doctor and come up with a better suited plan for you.   

I have also read about a decrease effectiveness in buspar after a benzo... however I think alot of that is psychological more then biochemical.  With klonopin you get immediate relief and pts get used to this.  With buspar the relief is more subtle (it won't make you feel deeply relaxed, just less tension and slowed worried thoughts) and is definately not immediate.   

Although I'm a nursing student and like to think I know everything, discussing this with a doctor who will work with you is invaluable.  He/she should listen to you and take your research and what you want to try into consideration.  Tapering off the klonopin while tapering onto buspar (or another SSRI for anxiety) while reminding yourself during those hard first few weeks of change that your body is adjusting and to be patient sounds like a good plan to me! However, do what is comfortable for you and I wish you the best of luck!!

Sorry for the long response... I am the biggest rambler!

Roses
Bookmark and Share

Offline zwack88

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
I am glad to hear some of the opinions of it. My Dr. prescribed it to me today in a low dose to take aside my Effexor. I will post my reaction to it. I am glad to see there are very mild if any side effects with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline joyce49

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
Thank you Roses for your input  :happy0151:

I forgot to mention I take effexor xr. 37.5mg only as I am highly med sensitive. I can take 75mg but maybe once or twice a week. Now, I have a huge problem. I called my psych today cause I saw him last thursday and I had this stupid idea of trying zoloft again which didnt work well for me last year. I cant tolerate any SSRI. They make me highly lethargic even at the lowest dosage. As for SNRIs I tried Cymbalta. Felt great at first. Well more like i was on a high. But than it played weired trick on my mind and body. Doesnt work either. So, I can only tolerate effexor. But my psych suggested that I try Pristiq. I am scared of that med. Almost everything I read about it is negative.

I am not sure either how my psych will react to the buspar. I know its controversial. Some doctors just think it doesnt work at all.

Anyway, I'm really confused and upset right now. I'm tired of fighting this disorder!  :sick0002:

Plus I have allergies on top of it.

I am seeing him on November 23rd so I will talk to him about the buspar and see how he respond.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roses

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »
You know, I believe he should let you try it.  I think an MD that says no to trying something that has been clinically proven to work for you dx especially in the mental health field where honetly his guess is as good as yours is absurd.  The thing with Buspar and all these SSRIs is that you have to wait at least a few weeks before making a judgement call.  it's tough to be patient.. but in the mean time just keep a daily journal on how you feel and if the SEs havent deminished and your mood improved/ anxiety decrease after 3 weeks then try something else.  Good luck to you

ZWAK the most annoying SE for me was dizziness and some nausea.. but it passess and the more I took it the less it was noticible.  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mgray

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »
It's been over 3 weeks now and I feel like the buspar is making me depressed! I take Zoloft for depression and it was starting to work then added the buspar and felt weird for a while some good day some bad. But lately more bad than good, lots of crying, and feeling hopeless! Zoloft has never done this to me, so the only other thing I can think of is maybe the Buspar is doing this? Because I take it with an SSRI? I just cryed for over an hour and my husband said to me please stop taking the buspar I dont think its working well with the Zoloft. Not sure if it is conteracting with eachother.....doc is out of town and cant call him---he always wants me to come in and cant afford it right now. Anyone else get this???
Bookmark and Share
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Offline Roses

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »
I'm sorry  :(  I hate to hear that.  To be honest I didn't have quite the best day today either... I only slept 3 hours last night because I was studying.  During and after my test I felt alot of breakthrough anxiety... it was like I almost couldn't breath and felt so wound up... which was horrible after having a nice 2 week break from these types of sx.  This started happening when I increased to 15 mg of buspar in the morning and at night... so I decreased it back down to 7.5 2 x a day.  I just woke up from a long nap in which I didn't want to wake up from and felt very depressed

Not a good day with buspar... however I still have hope and I'm going to continue and take it because today wasn't as bad as my anxiety at its worst... I also have a suspicion that canging the dose can throw your body off a bit. 

so your not alone mgray I just hope this passes.  It sounds like you have a very caring husband; my boyfriend is the same way for me and I don't know what I would do without him.  I've read that buspar and zoloft work realy well for some people together and then not for others.  If you are convinced it's the buspar discontinue it until your doctor gets back in town and try a psychiatric nurse practitioner... they generally charge alot less then docs and have alot of experience.  I think the depression is alot more important to treat then your anxiety.  have hope that one day you will find the right therapies to work
Bookmark and Share

Offline mgray

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »
Update on the Buspar ----I am still taking it doc said it was not the buspar it was the Zoloft that was doing more harm than good as soon as I stopped it.... alot of the severe depression stopped. So now I take my Buspar with Effexor and hoping this will be the right combo for me! Only 4 days in but feeling a bit more hopeful since I am not crying all the time...so now its just the anxious feeling, lol! Oh it's always something right! :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Tags: