Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What are the chances of getting cancer from a pilonidal cyst after having it for  (Read 3007 times)

Offline feared

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What are the chances of getting cancer from a pilonidal cyst after having it for about 2.5 years?

Also which type of doctor should take a look at it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
hmmm I don't even know what that is.  Me thinks I'll look it up.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
okay

I quickly read through three websites--one was for a support group of those having had these.  The worst thing I saw was that they can recur.  I didn't see any mention of any complications other than maybe the wound not healing well after it was removed. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline feared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
okay

I quickly read through three websites--one was for a support group of those having had these.  The worst thing I saw was that they can recur.  I didn't see any mention of any complications other than maybe the wound not healing well after it was removed.

"Malignant change is a relatively rare complication of pilonidal disease[8], but evidence of at least 50 such cases is available in published medical literature. The most common scenario is of squamous cell carcinoma arising after decades of antecedent pilonidal disease. Its pathophysiology is uncertain, but the ongoing processes of tissue damage and repair in the presence of chronic inflammation may be implicated[9]. Malignancy arising in a chronic wound seems to have a worse prognosis than cutaneous malignancies arising de novo on the skin, hence early detection is imperative[9]. Although malignancy is a rare complication, it is a significant risk to young men and a more sinister reason why, besides discomfort and inconvenience, pilonidal disease should be taken seriously and sufferers encouraged to seek medical help. "

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/december/Miller/Pilonidal-Sinus.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
so there have been 50 cases of this rare complication with this type cyst with the type cancer being the squamous cell carcinoma.  From my reading about skin cancers--squamous cell is the second most common with the first being basal cell.  Squamous cell carcinoma rarely causes further problems when caught and treated early.  So I think that if this is something that is at all possible, then you should have your derm look at the area where the cyst was yearly OR if you see any changes. 

I know how hard it is not to get upset about the even possiblity of a cancer, but it sounds like this complication is pretty remote.  All you can do is be aware of any possible changes and take care of it if it occurs. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline feared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
so there have been 50 cases of this rare complication with this type cyst with the type cancer being the squamous cell carcinoma.  From my reading about skin cancers--squamous cell is the second most common with the first being basal cell.  Squamous cell carcinoma rarely causes further problems when caught and treated early.  So I think that if this is something that is at all possible, then you should have your derm look at the area where the cyst was yearly OR if you see any changes. 

I know how hard it is not to get upset about the even possiblity of a cancer, but it sounds like this complication is pretty remote.  All you can do is be aware of any possible changes and take care of it if it occurs.

I'm starting to wonder if it's something something that only people with hiv get...

http://www.springerlink.com/content/b3q27450565w7142/
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
maybe feared.   

in any event I don't think this is something you should be overly concerned about. 

Although reading about the cyst--sure can spoil an appetite.   :sick0002: :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline feared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So does anyone else have some thoughts on this. I'm worried about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline feared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
hmm that weird, this artical doesn't mention anything about this cyst being cancerous.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Cysts_explained
Bookmark and Share

Offline feared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So yeah I had this cyst for about 2.5 years.

It doesn't hurt, and it leaks sometimes.

The skin above where the cyst is a normal color.

It looks about it's about .5'' - .75'' wide and about 1'' - 1.5'' long.
Bookmark and Share

Offline feared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So yeah I had this cyst for about 2.5 years.

It doesn't hurt, and it leaks sometimes.

The skin above where the cyst is a normal color.

It looks about it's about .5'' - .75'' wide and about 1'' - 1.5'' long.

blah, I love how nobody else is answering me. I'm still worried about this...

Does it sound like this guy knows what he's talking about?

"Sarjeet S. G

I have worked as a RN (hospital based) for more than twenty years. I have never seen a pilonidal cyst which is cancerous or had turned. You can get it surgically excised and your problem will be gone for ever. Your doctor may prescribe antibiotics to settle the infection but it is likely to return when the antibiotics are out of your system.

Good luck.
Source(s):
RN"

http://answers.*****/question/index;_ylt=AgZAmw.7mLtmNGPPjA1x05zsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100827151042AAJBOnp
Bookmark and Share

Offline feared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Not sure if the normal risk factors Squamous cell carcinoma have anything to do with getting it this way but...

Chronic sun exposure. A lifetime spent in the sun: Nope, I don't even go tanning.
Fair skin. If you have very light skin or freckle or sunburn easily: I think I burn easilly.
Your age. The average age at which this condition is diagnosed is 66. However, squamous cell carcinoma is occurring with increasing frequency in younger people. : I'm only 22.
Your sex. Men are far more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma: I'm a male.
A personal history of skin cancer. If you've had squamous cell carcinoma once: I've never had it or any other types of skin cancer.
Weakened immune system. People with weakened immune systems are at greater risk of many diseases, including skin cancer. : Nope, nothing
Rare genetic disorder. People with xeroderma pigmentosum: I don't think I've have it.
Smoking. Smoking increases your risk of squamous cell carcinoma: I've never smoked.
Skin inflammation or injury. You have a slightly higher chance of developing squamous cell carcinoma if you have a large scar, skin infection or an inflammatory skin disease, such as psoriasis. : Only if this cyst and pimples count as skin inflammation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline flowergirl

• Poke This Member
Well, the  one answer is from *****, which has varying results, but overall, I think it sounds like there isn't much reason to be concerned.  I don't know what a pilonidal cyst is and I'm afraid to google it, but with the info posted here, I really think you're fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline feared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Well, the  one answer is from *****, which has varying results, but overall, I think it sounds like there isn't much reason to be concerned.  I don't know what a pilonidal cyst is and I'm afraid to google it, but with the info posted here, I really think you're fine.

It's a butt cyst. :p
Bookmark and Share

Offline feared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So yeah a dermatologist will be checking out the cyst in a few days. Though I still am worried about it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: