Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: dull achy headache with head pressure...need advice??!!  (Read 9547 times)

Offline AYKM

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
dull achy headache with head pressure...need advice??!!
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »
That last three days I have woken up with this intense pressure in my head, and a dull headache that comes and oges all day. It started Saturday afternoon, I started to feel the pressure, and then Sunday  morning I was basically on the couch all day with head pressure. Yesterday was just as bad, and today I don't feel as much of a headache but I still feel the pressure. It almost feels like my head is stuffed with cotton.

I took some sinus meds last night and it seemed to help just very little. I am scared because I don't know if it's sinus, allergies or blood pressure. I am too afraid to go to the Dr. to get my BP checked. My head just feels "full"
I do wake up almost every morning with a stuffed up nose and recently bought a neti pot, but I can't get the water to come out the other side of my nose! I called the Dr.s office and they said I could come in to get my pressure checked, but I just can't...too scared. What does this sound like??

My coworker said it sounds like a sinus infection, but my other coworker said she feels the same way when her BP is high. Great.  :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Offline twinkletoes

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: dull achy headache with head pressure...need advice??!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
are you drinking enough water? i get this a lot when im dehydrated x
Bookmark and Share

Offline AYKM

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 02:45:05 PM »
I live in Las Vegas, there is no such thing as "enough water"  :spineyes:

I have been trying to drink more, but it isn't usually how I feel when I am dehydrated. I will go drink a glass now just to be safe though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline socal67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 02:54:10 PM »
Could be your blood pressure. Nothing to panic about. I have an appointment this Thursday to check my BP as I have been having headaches lately. I was diagnosed with high BP few months ago, put on temporary meds and I think my pressure has gone back up hence the headaches (but then it could be my stupid anxiety). From what I know BP is hard to control in some cases. Just go get it checked. If you are really nervous you might want to first try one of the BP machines like at Sams Club to check it out first.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jonnymorley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 03:24:21 PM »
its just a tension headache, very common lol. nothing serious
Bookmark and Share

Offline AYKM

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »
Just went to the Dr and had Bp taken. It was 158/80! My highest reading ever. They put me in a dark room to lay down and just retook it about 15 min later it was 134/86! I am so scared right now and my husband won't come down to see me : (
Bookmark and Share

Offline jonnymorley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »
is it not just the anxiety causing your BP to be high? When I saw the doctor, he took my blood pressure and was like 'whats going on??!!'. It was really high for my age.  He said it was just the anxiety. Blood pressure fluctuates a lot
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 04:21:36 PM »
Everytime I go to the doctor, my blood pressure is through the roof. One time they even had to give me an emergency pill right there at the office to bring it down. When Im away from the doctor, my blood pressure is always normal. I have a blood pressure meter and I also have used other peoples meters. Ive had my blood checked at the fire station as well and at the mall where they have those people trying to sell you medical insurance. Always its normal but when Im at the doctors office, very rarely will it come out normal. It only comes out normal at the psychiatrists office, strangely enough. Anyways, the headaches your describing are tension headaches and nothing to be scared of. Ive woken up with the same type of headache. Thats when I began getting the auras.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline socal67

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 05:26:19 PM »
Well now we now what was causing the headaches. The fact that it dropped from 158 to 138 in the dark room says that the high reading is what they call white coat hypertension. Anxiety induced. 134 (normal relaxed reading) is not that bad. Take some deep breaths and try to relax and let the doc fix you right up  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AYKM

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 06:25:10 PM »
Well the readings ended up being 158/80,134/86, 133/78 and finally 114/72. This ranged from 12:41 to 2:32. I just laid there and relaxed and took some xanax. I asked if the xanax would make the BP go done if it was indeed a BP problem, he said not really. He doesn't even want me to monitor it. He gave me a very low does for water retention that he said will also help lower blood pressure. I reminded him that I wake up every morning with swollen fingers. It's called hydrochlorothiazide, I am going to look it up as I really don't know too much about it.

He looked over everything else, brought up my cholesterol which is only slightly elevated and I have lowered it, and he brought up that my insulin was oddly low. WTF!! I am only 36 for crying out loud. I am drowning my sorrows in xanax and mac n cheese right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline diana66

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »
I have taken hydrochlorothiazide (but in combination with other BP lowering drugs) since age 20 - I am 43 now.  It is a diuretic.  Take it at a time when you can get to restroom within the next 2-3 hours (ie: do not take right before a long car trip).

Your numbers are not bad and the fact they can be brought down with relaxation is great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AYKM

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »
Thanks diana. I haven't taken it yet since I am on a low sodium diet already I am worried about screwing stuff up. Since you have been on bp meds do you think it is a bp problem or a stress problem? Would it go down like that if it was bp issues?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: