Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: upper left back pain LUNG CANCER????  (Read 39584 times)

Offline pb

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
upper left back pain LUNG CANCER????
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »
 I am convinced that i have lung cancer. I have a chronic pain in my upper left part of my back. I cant figure out what it could be. I have pains on that side of my chest for 3 years now but it has been under my left ribcage mainly  and now for the past 8 months it is in my back. It gets worse when i stress and last night i felt almost frozen caused i moved in bed and it hurt so bad. I don't know if its in my head but recently i feel like i cant breath. Ugh. I hate this. Before i thought i had heart issues, well i still do. I haven't exercised in over 3 years because i am afraid i will drop dead. Anyone have upper left back pain. Please I am desperate. I use to be a dr junkie. I have had every test done, been to the er 5 times. Then I freaked when i realized how much radiation I have exposed my self to!!! So now I just freak out alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline just1primate

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: upper left back pain LUNG CANCER????
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »
First of all, if it has been going on as long as you say, and you are still alive. It isn't lung cancer or heart trouble. Secondly, anxiety, stress, connective tissue inflammations i.e. costochondritis can cause all the symptoms you speak of. Relax, get some light stretching exercise. Check you posture, get off the computer more. See how that works. Also have you looked into GERD or LPR?
Bookmark and Share

Offline SkittishSari

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
I was just absolutely convinced I had lung cancer, and the doctor basically said that if I had symptoms that were that bad, I'd be in hospice care. So, if you've had this pain for that long, you don't have lung cancer! I get those stabbing pains you describe. Sometimes it's a spastic colon, other times I think it's just muscle or nerve pain. It's happened my entire life, sometimes to the point where I can't even breathe in or out for a few seconds. So don't worry! It's totally the anxiety.

Also, do you smoke? If not, your chances of having lung cancer are exceedingly low. If you do smoke, quit and your chances will drop every day thereafter.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pb

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
no. I have never smoked a day in my life. ITs just that the pain is constant. I have had stabbing pains that are quick but this just wont quit. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline SkittishSari

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 02:00:48 PM »
Is it physically underneath the ribcage or below? If it's below, like in your upper abdomen, it could be spastic colon. I've had pain in my colon that was so severe that I couldn't stand up straight and needed a shot of demerol (sp).
Bookmark and Share

Offline pb

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 02:07:55 PM »
the pain is under my breast almost exactly where the underwire of your bra would be. The pain in my back is slightly left of spine. The pain moves though sometimes on top of shoulder sometimes lower, sometimes wraps around, but it is always present in some form.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SkittishSari

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »
I've had the same pain, but it's always been relatively fleeting. Have you ever done biofeedback? It might tell you if you are unconsciously tensing those muscles during the day. Still, I am sure it isn't lung cancer. I just went through the same ordeal with lung cancer a few weeks back, and I went to doctors in not one but two countries (I live in Denmark and we traveled to Germany during this bout of fear) and both said it was just not so. If you haven't smoked, you haven't been exposed to any strange chemicals or cooked every day with a wok, you really, really not at risk.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mominpanic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »
I had this same thing a couple months ago, but was worried that I had metastatic breast cancer that had spread to my ribs.  I was getting pain just to the left of my midthoracic vertebrae that shooting around to my upper breast.  Instead of going to the doctor, I made myself a chiropractor appointment.  It turned out my midback was all out of whack - she said the upper part of my spine was twisted one way and below that was basically twisted the other way.  Because of this, it was pinching a nerve, which was why I was getting the shooting-type pain.  She also asked me if I ever get what feels like sharp pains just above my heart, almost like I'm having a heart attack or something.  It's weird that she mentioned that because I do get those periodically and when I had it evaluated about 15 years ago, I was told it was angina.  I am now thinking it was just this pinched nerve.  Anyways, I started seeing the chiropractor about 2 months ago and it has made a huge difference in my back pain and the rest of my body pain associated with it.  Maybe it would be worth looking into! 
Bookmark and Share
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones - Proverbs 17:22

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
Does not sound like lung cancer as I have known two people who have had it and their
symptoms are nothing like yours.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline crazy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »
I've had pain exactly like that for 2 years - I've never thought I had lung cancer... I just always think I'm going to drop dead of a heart attack.  I still have to remind myself that the dr's can't do anymore - I had a clear nuclear stress test... it has to be muscular or costochondritis (which I have been diagnosed with) or or or...
Bookmark and Share

Offline pb

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »
I posted this and I still have same pain. It's definetly related to eating. Today I had a coffee on an empty stomach and I thought I was going to die. Same pain under left ribs, upper left back pain and thought I was going to throw up. I have the pain daily but it's mild, today was special! So sick. It subsided after a couple of hours. Everything points to pancreas??? Could I have cancer after five years or symptoms?? I had tests done five years ago. Last feb I had routine blood work and abdominal ultrasound. Both were normal....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Silentblues

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »
Sounds like heartburn to me.

I have gastritis and was told to stay away from anything and everything acidic. That means coffee.
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:38 PM »
No way would symptoms of lung cancer go on so long with no serious progression! I would see an ent or something. I would bet a years worth of my earnings this is not lung cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pb

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 08:09:28 AM »
What about pancreatic cancer? Would blood work and ultrasound be enough to rule it out? I have itchy skin now too. Some days it's bad sometimes I don't have any. It started after three rounds if antibiotics for a sinus infection that I still have. I also have this vibrating in abdomen. In top left right were that pain is. I made appointment with Gastro. I have already had endoscopy when it first started as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProudMommyto3

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 08:28:41 AM »
It sounds like Costochondritis..One tip I did learn from my doc is press on the area that is painful and if it hurts to press on then it's not your lungs apparently if you have lung pain it wouldn't hurt to touch the area..hope this helps  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Fear..It's just a feeling and we can get over it

Tags: