Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Will Klonopin make depression worse?  (Read 12019 times)

Offline kjohop

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Will Klonopin make depression worse?
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:47:15 PM »
Hi all-
I am new here and am so happy I found this site.

I have been suffering with GAD and now some depression for 6 months. I have started seeing a psych who does CBT and exposure.. but the problem is that my symptoms are so intense sometimes that I can;t focus on anything else. Depending on where I am in my cycle (sorry boys) it depends on how depressed I feel. The anxiety is always there but gets unbearably worse during the same weeks I feel depressed. My quality of life is not there.. it is worst in the morning and afternoon and usually come evening I am totally fine... maybe I should just become a vampire and sleep all day  :happy0151:.

I have done CBT and exposure before with no meds and had great success.. this time it is not happening.. doc thinks perimenopause maybe and hormones are definitely playing a big role here.
Soo.... I am finally considering meds as I want my life back!

I tried zoloft in 1995 and had the most awful puking/panic reaction to it and it has made me terrified to take meds. I don't know yet if I need an ssri b/c my current doc is hopeful that CBT will work again if I can get the symptoms under control. She wants to see if a benzo will be enough to calm the anxiety so I can actually work the CBT and exposure..

So I am supposed to try the klonopin tonight but I am very scared (surprise surprise) that it will make the depression symptoms worse. I know medicine reacts differently with everyone.. I only plan to take the klonopin as needed.. I am very afraid of S/E.. any reassurance (which I KNOW I am not supposed to seek but I am anyway..) would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone with depression symptoms and anxiety notice that Klonopin made the depression worse?

Thank you and God Bless!!!
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell. ~ Sting

Offline Bama21

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
Re: Will Klonopin make depression worse?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
***Disclaimer:  This is just based on my own experiences with depression associated with anxiety.***

I've dealt with that same fear.  I think it depends primarily on what is at the root of your depression.  Do you deal with depression wholly separate from anxiety?  Or...is your depression a direct by-product of your anxiety?

If your depression is independent of your anxiety, then I think there could be a risk (not sure how much of a risk...but some) that the Klonopin could worsen the depression.  If your depression is tied directly to your anxiety, the klonopin should HELP with the depression. 

Depression associated with anxiety is basically fear and dread of life with anxiety.  In other words, it is just another manifestation of anxiety itself.  If the anxiety is high, things can seem hopeless and VERY dark.  I have been in that spot...and it's no fun.  If this is the same spot that you are in, then an anti-anxiety medication like klonopin can help to calm your mind which will lessen your depressive thinking because the two are directly linked.

Again...this is my experience with depression relating to anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjohop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 02:11:06 PM »
Thank you so much for your response.
My Therapist and I are trying to figure this out..she seems to think that depression is secondary and related to the anxiety. I am afraid that it is not.. but at this point I don't know. My symptoms have become my main issue and I obsess about them. There are days I feel deppressed and then days I feel normal.. and then like today I feel almost hyper.. I have had anxiety before but not with the mood swings like I have now. It is really scaring me and feluing the anxiety symptoms b/c I am convinced I have bipolar disorder or something.  That is most likely the anxiety speaking.
I did take the Klonopin.. only .125 mg maybe it helped a little or maybe it was pyschocomatic? I should try more.
So you obviously have a history of anxiety with depression... did you find that you had mood swings?
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell. ~ Sting

Offline Bama21

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »
Thank you so much for your response.
My Therapist and I are trying to figure this out..she seems to think that depression is secondary and related to the anxiety. I am afraid that it is not.. but at this point I don't know. My symptoms have become my main issue and I obsess about them. There are days I feel deppressed and then days I feel normal.. and then like today I feel almost hyper.. I have had anxiety before but not with the mood swings like I have now. It is really scaring me and feluing the anxiety symptoms b/c I am convinced I have bipolar disorder or something.  That is most likely the anxiety speaking.
I did take the Klonopin.. only .125 mg maybe it helped a little or maybe it was pyschocomatic? I should try more.
So you obviously have a history of anxiety with depression... did you find that you had mood swings?
My experience with depression and anxiety is that, when my mind is overly in an anxious state, I tend to view the future (FUTURE is an important part of this) as hopeless.  Adding to that, probably my biggest fear associated with anxiety is that I will become suicidally desperate.  Through some experimentation, I came to the conclusion that, the less anxious I am, the less my mind ruminates over a bleak and hopeless future.  The reason I mentioned that thoughts about the future are important is that, according to my anxiety therapist, dread about the future = anxiety and dread about the past = depression.  For me...that helped me tremendously to be able to simplify my condition.  Perhaps it's the same for you.

As for mood swings, I've kind of always had them...even before I got anxiety.  I haven't really noticed that my mood swings are worse with anxiety.  In fact, when I have been REALLY anxious/depressed, I tend to just downshift into one, almost catatonic-like state.  I become just sort of out of it.  I can't think straight and I can't really feel any emotion other than fear and despair.  There is no anger or fits of crying or anything.  I just kind of sit there blankly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjohop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »
Thanks! I think you hit the nail... it is fear about the future.. never being able to relax and enjoy my future life. Anticipating misery. I was also fearful that I would become desperately suicidal and I would have intrusive thougths about it.. not ever wanting to do it but getting obsessions about it... SCARY!
Thanks.. it really helps to know I am now alone.
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

Offline kjohop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 01:42:56 PM »
oops! I meant not alone. :)
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

Offline Bama21

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
Thanks! I think you hit the nail... it is fear about the future.. never being able to relax and enjoy my future life. Anticipating misery. I was also fearful that I would become desperately suicidal and I would have intrusive thougths about it.. not ever wanting to do it but getting obsessions about it... SCARY!
Thanks.. it really helps to know I am now alone.
I know the feeling.  When I was at my worst stages, I would get anxiety over things like:  Getting a sleep med out of the bottle and accidentally dropping a bunch into my hand (seeing a handful of sleep medication made me think "This would be a way to commit *****").  Or...when I would crank up my car in the garage with the garage door closed, it would remind me that people have committed ***** by closing themselves up in the garage and filtering the exhause into the car.

Things like that would give me anxiety.  I KNEW that I didn't want to do it, but I was scared to death that I could possibly get to the point where I would consider it.

The main thing to remember is that it's all anxiety.  It's all about fear.  For a person who desperately wants to live and be happy, what better fear could there be than the fear of hopelessness and death?  That's your anxiety-ridden mind at work, right there.  Truly understanding that helped me a ton.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 01:29:54 PM »
I have been on Klonopin .50mg at night for a year and a half.  I was able to tolerate Zoloft while taking the klonopin.  I started 12.5mg, then 25mg, then 37.5mg.  I've kept the Klonopin at the same dose.  It didnt make my depression worse and helped with sleep and anxiety.  My psychaitrist told me that klonopin can act as a mild mood stabilizer.  It helped me at my dentist appts, and with flying, I will take .25mg when I get into one of these situations.  I have taken the Zoloft down to 25mg and will stick with that and .50mg Klonopin, I take both at night, and I have no side effects.  Good luck.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline kjohop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply! The dentist.. now that is someone I have been avoiding for a looong time.. good idea. :)

The main thing to remember is that it's all anxiety.  It's all about fear.  For a person who desperately wants to live and be happy, what better fear could there be than the fear of hopelessness and death?  That's your anxiety-ridden mind at work, right there.  Truly understanding that helped me a ton.

Thanks Bama21 that helped me so much!

I took the klonopin.. a whopping .125mg.. I am sure the effect I felt was psychosomatic.. but just knowing I have it in my toolbox has been as huge help to me. I have been able to let go of some of the helpless feelings and work on my therapy which has helped a ton as well.

Thanks again for all the repsonses.
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

Offline chrisu

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
depression anxiety relief
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:27:38 AM »
My husband has suffered from depression/anxiety for his entire adult life.  A friend recommended something I had never heard of before and the results have been miraculous.  It is called brain state conditioning.  It takes 2 weeks and is not covered under insurance.  My husband completed it 6 weeks ago and his life long depression is virtually gone.  I don't know anyone else personally who has had this procedure for this issue, but I have heard testimonials which is what inspired us to try it in the first place.   It is completely non-invasive (EEG and headphones), I don't know if others have had this total recovery or not, but it is definitly worth looking into.  I don't know if it will last, though I am told that it will, but I can say with certitude that this has been the happiest 6 weeks of his life and he is on no medication.  I can best describe it as a high-tech form of neurofeedback, but 100Xquicker and more effective.
Bookmark and Share

Offline s3ptember

• Rec's: 1
  • Life's short; talk fast!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »
I've tried this drug a few times, I'm prescribed it to go along with Wellbutrin and Trazodone. It kind of calms me down when I can't control it anymore. I can understand your fear, and I hope that it helps you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: