Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone ever had this?? Chest pain- tender to the touch??  (Read 127625 times)

Offline ag1982

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone ever had this?? Chest pain- tender to the touch??
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:56:28 AM »
I keep trying to put this out of my mind- but I can't!
My chest is tender to the touch- the sternum and the upper left side of my chest.
It feel like bruise pains.
I also have sore muscles in my back and the left side of my neck.
my left arm feel pinched and sore as well.
I'm totally scared that it's something serious - some kind of infection or I don't know- something.
I don't have health insurance at the moment - does this sound like a muscle or anxiety thing?
Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Please help! Any feedback would be so great!
Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 197
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone ever had this?? Chest pain- tender to the touch??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »
HI

I'm not sure this is the same pain I had a few years back, but it sounds similar.  Mine was from the upper sternum to the right on the rib area.  I, of course, thought it had something to do with my breasts.  I have heard other folks here describing this as well. I think it is something like costochondritis.  I talked to my ob/gyn about it but I never had it diagnosed formally.  But after a time it went away on on its own---10 wks or so.  I don't think it ever happened again but who knows? Basically it is a benign condition of inflammation of the muscles around the ribs.  Causes--theoretically--can be from stress, coughing, laughing to hard, strain or minor injury to the chest, vomiting.   From what I've read about it, it usually resolves itself within 12wks but it can become a repeat offender depending on the person.

Once you start worrying about something--I presume the chest thing was first????---then you start the ole domino effect and get a bunch of other stuff hurting you.  You can call it sympathy pains but what happens is you start fretting over one thing and your body gets tensed up all over and muscles start hurting.  Sometimes tense muscles can impinge on nerves too and give you numbing or tingling sensations.  I have experienced this sort of thing myself.

I don't think, based on what you've written here, that you have anything serious going on.  However (and I know you don't have insurance) if a trip to a doc would make you feel better, make an appointment.  An out of pocket visit to a GP would probably cost between $50-100.  It would be well worth it, IMO, if it gave you some peace of mind plus it never hurts to get a pro's opinion  :winking0008:.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline ag1982

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »
Hi there :)

Thank you so much for your response.
You really helped me!
I honestly have to say that I think I'm getting a cold on top of everything else.
I've been sneezing and exhausted - I have a stuffy nose, etc.
I think that maybe the chest thing IS anxiety related plus some sorta cold comin on.
Ugh!
I made an appointment with my doctor for Thursday afternoon.
Here's hoping that it's not something serious!! :-(

Thank you again!

Bookmark and Share

Offline crazy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:17:30 PM »
Hi

I've had it too - I was actually diagnosed with costochronditis.  If you can reproduce the pain by pushing on it, it is most likely something like costochronditis.  the discomfort ran up my sternum and than curved a bit left and right over top of my breasts.

The sore back muscles are probably muscle/tension related.

It can actually also be caused by a viral infection apparently (so I was told by my GP)... as well as stress and all the other things that sixpack listed.

It's good that you are going to put your mind at ease by visiting your GP, but I wouldn't worry too much - take it as a sign that your body needs to rest!
Bookmark and Share

Offline idreamofskiba

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »
I get this a lot.  It'll go away for a while, then come back for a few months.  I've been told it could be from a few different things, none of them serious -- costochronditis being one of them.

Bookmark and Share

Offline ag1982

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »
Thanks so much everyone! really.

I actually diagnosed myself if Costrochondritis after reading about (after googling about chest pain, to be honest) lol  :spineyes:
I do believe that this is what I have. it's only on the left side of my chest....but it's from my sternum into my upper chest above the breast and even down my arm! totally uncomfy- I'm trying not to be paranoid about it, but we all know how hard that is!
I'm going to wait another week to see my GP. I have no health insurance and I'm collecting unemployment at the moment - so I'm kind of broke. I'm going to rest up and take it easy and see if it gets any better- if it does not by next week, I will spend the money!
My gut tells me that it's not too serious, but my mind is a racin'! Thank you guys for helping to put my racing mind at ease!
Many many thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Widowmaker

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »
I am 38 and have had this same thing on and off for over 2 years. I too suffer from Anxiety, I had my first bad attack 5 years ago and have had several since then (My mom had her anxiety start in her early 20's, my Dad has had Panic attacks since his 30's and my sister also since her early 20's), and I also have GAD. I have had the pain in the left side of the ribs alongside my sternum in one spot, and pain in the back below the shoulder blade, it is very irritating and also scary when it hits. I have had, Stress tests, chest x-rays, EKG's, blood work and general workups all of which found nothing and the dr.'s say it is all caused by stress and anxiety, I still obsess over it when it comes on, it really drives me nutty and I have convinced myself it is either chostochondrtitus or lung cancer (since I smoke, although I have no other symptoms except for the the ones I mention). It drives me crazy since it starts for no reason and disappears for no reason.....I can go a month without pain then have it comeback and last a month....I keep trying to convince myself it is costo and take my xanax when my mind starts to race, but find myself googling the medical sites to try to find an answer. I am glad to see someone else is dealing with this as well....and that I am not going crazy. I am really trying to cope and tell myself that my brain is convincing me to have even more symptoms....but its real hard to try to convince myself otherwise. Has anyone else had this as well....my chiropractor says its all stress realted and nerves, and that I should also watch how I sleep at night and make sure I am not pinching my neck or chest in a weird way...it seems to help a little, he also says that poor posture affects the nerves in the neck which lead to the ones in your chest as well....am I just paranoid or is it my anxiety or all of the above...????
Bookmark and Share

Offline C_Allison

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
Definitely have had this symptom. It was a dull annoying pain on the lower left side of my sternum. It was always worse at night.

This pain probably lasted for 3 weeks or longer, its difficult to remember as I have moved on to obsessing about other symptoms. But yes, this symptom is very likely caused and intensified by anxiety. This area, being so close to the lungs and heart can be especially scary to have problems with. But it is likely caused by muscle tension or awkward sleeping positions. I realize this pain is annoying as I have been there myself, but you need not worry. It's nothing serious. If you're still worried, always remember that you're NOT alone this. We are all here for you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Widowmaker

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 06:49:24 PM »
thank you, it is good to know I am not alone in this, it is very comforting. thank you. It s just hard to get past this at times. I try to tell myself it is all in my head...but my thoughts wonder. I appreciate all of the support.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: