Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin and Buspar  (Read 18516 times)

Offline sweetblubrry

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
Klonopin and Buspar
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:14:27 PM »
I am taking 1mg of klonopin as needed for anxiety (which has been almost everyday). It says I can take it up to twice a day. I also take 15 mg of Buspar twice daily. Its on and off but I guess depending on the half life of klonopin I become exausted and have to sleep.Its ridiculous I can't go to class because I am so dang tired, while the medicine is wearing off. I also take buspar which I think adds to the effect. Buspar is not a sedating medication, though I think it is a little bit in the beginning and combining it with klonopin makes me sleepy. I'm afraid to take my second buspar dose for today because I don't want to fall asleep (i just woke up from a 2 hour nap) and I have a lot of homework to do. The anxiety has been bad because of doctor visits and such but once that is over I won't need the klonopin as much. I know that my doc and pharmacist both know that I am taking these doses. But I am tired of being so sleepy! I don't know if I should skip my second buspar dose and stick with one until I don't need the klonopin anymore or just drink a lot of caffeeine. But otherwise, I have an overwhelming need to nap and can't be woken up to save my life. Sooooo sleepy.
Bookmark and Share
Struggled on and off since I was 13 (29 now) with health anxiety and OCD. No therapy. I accept my thoughts and deal with it as it comes.

Offline sweetblubrry

Content
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin and Buspar
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:15:29 PM »
Oh and I only will take the klonopin once a day, NEVER twice (only the first day I was prescribed and it was too much). But still once a day makes me pretty darn sleepy. I probably won't take it tomorrow but it really depends on how bad the anxiety is. I"m once again awaiting biopsy results. ugh....
Bookmark and Share
Struggled on and off since I was 13 (29 now) with health anxiety and OCD. No therapy. I accept my thoughts and deal with it as it comes.

Offline gm5582

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
You should contact your doctor before switching up or modifying your meds.  Every time I've thought i was smart enough to do it on my own, i ended up having an anxiety attack/panic attack that could have been avoided.  I actually have a call into my doctors today about the doses of my meds. 

I'd try to stay away from the caffeine too. That really won't help much, if at all.  Try to stay awake by doing exercise or getting some fresh air. 

Good luck - stay strong!
*G
Bookmark and Share
*GM5582*

Offline sweetblubrry

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »
Thank you, I had one doc tell me to take buspar twice a day and then the klonopin one or twice a day as need (so ig uess that just means whenever?)

The doc I saw at my student health center said i shold take the buspar and half the klonpin tablet together and then the second dose of buspar and klonopin together.

Honestly I don't know.

I think I will follow the first doctor's orders. I had a date last night and needed it for that, and tonight I am going to do something that has caused me anxiety for a great amount of time but I need to do this to get it past me. So I think I'll take the full tablet again.

I am also starting to see a therapist next week so I will bring it up then.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:46:39 AM »
I am also on Bupar. 30 mg. 10mg 3X a day. I take that every day. I was also prescribed Klonopin. .05 mg up to 2X a day as needed.

Is Klonopin meant for long term/everyday use? Or only on an "as needed" basis?? I have been on Buspar now for about 4 months, and I know that is safe to use every day. But I know nothing about Klonopin, and have not even filled the script yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bama21

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:40:35 AM »
I am also on Bupar. 30 mg. 10mg 3X a day. I take that every day. I was also prescribed Klonopin. .05 mg up to 2X a day as needed.

Is Klonopin meant for long term/everyday use? Or only on an "as needed" basis?? I have been on Buspar now for about 4 months, and I know that is safe to use every day. But I know nothing about Klonopin, and have not even filled the script yet.
Most would say that klonopin is not a long-term solution because physical dependence can develop and withdrawal is tough.  That said, that type of med can be very effective for the short term (I took a similar type of med for a couple of months just about every day and had no problems coming off of it) if taken as needed and at the minimal dose.  Trust your doctor.

Thing about klonopin (and others like it) is that it is VERY effective for anxiety and has no side effects.  Again, the issue is on the back end with the possibility of getting dependent.  I would say that, as long as you are careful with it and have a plan to not stay on it long term, it can help a lot.  Just don't get yourself into a situation where you start having to up the dosage on a regular basis because the original dose doesn't work.  You also wouldn't want to stay on it for a LONG, indefinite time period.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickforlike

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 05:48:01 AM »
At one time I took Klonopin as a sleep aid ONLY.  It may be a little too strong for you to take anyother time of day and will make you sleepy.  2mg or 5mg Valium may be more appropriate for day time use.
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 02:43:23 AM »
Klonopin & Buspar sound like an odd combination of meds to me. Usually, a benzo is so effective for severe anxiety/panic that something like Buspar is not needed in conjunction with it. Buspar is typically an add-on for people on SSRI's or a stand alone for people with milder anxiety who do not want the sedation of a benzo (even though the sedation generally wears off after the first week or so of daytime use).
Bookmark and Share

Offline sweetblubrry

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 04:19:29 AM »
Well what my doc and psychologist said was that most of hte time klonopin is used while waiting for an SSRI to become effective and that is when the klonopin is weaned off. Buspar is a lot different than an SSRI and is a lot more milder. I had horrible side effects with SSRIs (lexapro and paxil) and I told my doctor there is absolutely no way I am taking those again so please prescribe me something that is not like that. So she gave me buspar.

Problem is... the buspar isn't enough. I think its for people with milder everyday anxiety but not to the extent I have (hypochondria). I'm not mild anxiety, but I don't think I am full fledged awful either. It does help with the physical symptoms (I no longer have tightness in my chest, or wake up grinding my teeth, and overall am just calmer) though I still have panic moments and freak out sessions. It does not prevent everything. I like it because it does not alter my mood and I do not feel like I am someone else (like I did on SSRIs) I feel like myself and I enjoy life for the most part. But I still have bad anxiety at times. So the doc prescribed my klonopin. She gave me 45 pills plus 1 refill. I don't know. I've seen people on it for a long time and heard others say you shouldn't because its addictive.

Personally, I would never abuse this drug. I worked in a drug and alcohol rehab center and know just what addiction can do. I would take the anxiety over wondering whether I am becomin addicted. I am more afraid of taking medications than anything. I was so hesitant about these two... but they both seem to be working great together. I know I posted that i was REALLY sleepy earlier... but that effect seems to have waned. I do get sleepy and depending on how I am when I take  it, sometimes it will put me to sleep and others it won't.

I hope that I will be able to get a refill on klonopin because honestly it has helped tremendously. And I don't feel the need to take it everyday. I know the anxiety will be short term. My attacks never last longer than a year (and I'm going on month 5 now) The root cause of my anxiety (my mole/dermatalogy issues) have started to taper off and I"m seeing a psychologist now. So hopefully it will be over soon. But I can't tell you how much this combo of meds has helped me. And how grateful that I still feel like myself. I feel like I can go out and live my life again since I started taking them together. I go out with friends, have a great social life and I don't worry so much about my fears. Isn't that what it should all be about?

I am also taking only 1mg. I've read posts where people are up to 4 or 5mg. 1 mg seems to do the trick for me and I've been on it about two weeks. I think not taking it everyday prevents me from needing to up the dosage. Because it works everytime and I've read that usually you are addicted to it by week 2. And I don't feel that. I don't know, but this combo is amazing!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: