Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Clonidine for Anxiety???  (Read 33886 times)

Offline mom2boys

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Clonidine for Anxiety???
« on: August 29, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
Hi I'm new here.
I've struggled with anxiety for years. I started on Lexapro and Trazadone (for sleep as my anxiety started with insomnia)
I weaned off those, went back to Lexapro for awhile then decided to try Xanax as needed to avoid taking daily meds. My Mom has taken Xanax for years (.25 once daily every day)
I mentioned at my last physical the chronic worry/panic/physical symptoms were pretty much always there and was worried about needing xanax daily. He said he could prescribe me something else if I wanted. So I called back a couple months later and what he called in was CLONIDINE. A high blood pressure med. It says nothing about it being used for anxiety, I can't find anyting about it being an anxiety drug on the internet and the PHARMACY called me saying they thought it was a mistake!!! She said she called my Dr. 3 times and the sectretary kept reassuring her it was the right med. She thinks it should have been KLONOPIN but they say NO.
I also called my Dr., spoke to the secretary and she also reassured me it's CLONIDINE and that he sometimes prescribes this for anxiety. He was suppossed to call me back to "ease my mind" but never did. But the PHARMACY did call me AGAIN to insist they all think it's wrong and that she's NEVER seen it prescribed for anxiety....
So I'm sure you understand why someone with ANXIETY would now be afraid to take this drug!!! I have not taken it. I will be calling my Dr. AGAIN since he never called me back. I'm also looking for a therapist. I need to get this under control instead of feeling like I'm dying form cancer or heart disease every day....
I could go on  about my symptoms but I'm really looking for info on CLONIDINE for anxiety.
Also I do trust my Dr. he has been my doc pretty much all my life and has dealt with all my Moms anxiety problems so it's not a new Dr. or anything.
Thnaks
Angie
Bookmark and Share
Hyperchondria(health anxiety), panic disorder,social anxiety, GAD, recently insomnia
Meds tried Lexapro,(twice) Trazodone, Cymbalta, Buspar,xanax, zoloft, back on zoloft for a 2nd time

Offline AruroGotti

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
Re: Clonidine for Anxiety???
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
I can speak on this, I was prescribed clonidine by an ER doctor, lowest dose made right before bed (script was for 20, which has since ran out)

Clonidine is used in a number of different ways predominately as a BP med, especially in emergency situations. Its also a mild sedative, sometimes prescribed in conjunction with other meds to help with alcohol withdrawal, heroind, cocaine, etc.

the pharmacology behind it is that it basically signals certain receptors in the brain to relax the smooth vessels which equals decrease in peripheral vascular resistance which = decrease in BP

The first question that anyone would ask is, if I'm not hypertensive, could taking clonidine lower my bp to dangerous levels? In all the med journals I have read about the drug being used for withdrawal, even as a sleep aid I haven't come across anything that would suggest this. I asked the ER doctor and he simply said no, even after I explained I run normal BP when not anxious. Mine was so high at the time I think as an ER doc hes somehow obligated to prescribe something to put down in print, he also gave me a script for xanax with no refills
Bookmark and Share
RIP Arturo Gatti April 15, 1972-July 9, 2009...***www.vitaminDcouncil.org***

Offline AruroGotti

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »
anyway I guess I would call and ask the question I bolded
Bookmark and Share
RIP Arturo Gatti April 15, 1972-July 9, 2009...***www.vitaminDcouncil.org***

Offline mom2boys

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »
I did ask his secretary that she said no, it wouldn't. But like I said I haven't talked to my Dr. I'd like to know what he has to say.
Thanks for the reply. I'm new here and didn't know I couldn't post this on the Health anxiety board (what I have)....
I guess it's not common at all to take this med for anxiety. I'm not getting many responses anywhere I ask and can't find much about it online. Why did he have to prescribe THIS? Something so out of the ordinary???
Bookmark and Share
Hyperchondria(health anxiety), panic disorder,social anxiety, GAD, recently insomnia
Meds tried Lexapro,(twice) Trazodone, Cymbalta, Buspar,xanax, zoloft, back on zoloft for a 2nd time

Offline jennismortal

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:47:36 AM »
Clonidine lowers blood pressure by decreasing the levels of certain chemicals in your blood. This allows your blood vessels to relax and your heart to beat more slowly and easily.Clonidine is used to treat hypertension . It is sometimes used together with other blood pressure medications.
Do not stop taking this medication suddenly without first talking to your doctor. Stopping this medication suddenly can cause nervousness, agitation, headache, tremors, severe high blood pressure, or life-threatening symptoms. Talk with your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking clonidine. Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of clonidine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pigeontamer2002

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »
I apologize for re-birthing this topic, but I think I have info that may make this doctor's prescription make more sense.  Everything that has been said about the drug clonidine on this forum has been correct.  The most important thing to walk away with is that clonidine does work/help with anxiety when taken daily. 
I have been taking clonidine, klonopin, seroquel, and oxcarbazepine for bipolar disorder, and a dual diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder.  Often times I double up on the .50 prescription of klonopin, so really I only have klonopin for two weeks.  After that two weeks of being anxiety free, I rely on the clonidine to keep me steady.  It works.  100% works, it keeps me where I need to be.  I do avoid coffee/pop when off the klonopin, and I never exercise off klonopin, to avoid a sudden change in pulse to avoid rapid onset attack. 
Klonopin, generic retail for 30 .50mg is right around $20.00. Clonidine is around 11 bucks.  Both the drugs are cheap, and if you are a person who takes a little more then prescribed, you might want to conside clonidine.  It is a cheap option to buying anti-anxiety drugs illegally.   :bigsmile:
However, I will not throw stones as I live in that type of house.  Just trying to give the anxious a good tip. 
Please go easy on me for raising this post from the dead.  I'll get better.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: