Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weird feeling in forearms and other muscles - cramping? spasticity?  (Read 7465 times)

Offline worriedsick

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
OK so I have not noticed any real loss in strength in my hands or any other muscle in my body.  Nothing which would be considered clinical weakness.  However, my forearms always feel "tense" like they have been exerted especially when im using the computer.  I also get the feeling in my legs sometimes, and the other day i woke up and it felt like there was a band around my left calf - but there wasnt.

Also, when im using the mouse i feel like sometimes when i click, instead of the finger moving, my whole hand kinda jerks to hit the button even though im only meaning to use the finger.  Are any of these things signs of anything more serious?

Finally, i have still been having twitching feelings all over, along with a pain in the front of my neck that waxes and wanes - not sure if this is related to my ear on the same side which feels plugged most of the time.

I feel like i have been doing better - my fears of mad cow have all but vanished, and i am left with a still lingering but not extreme fear of als and other fatal but not as imminently fatal diseases.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AruroGotti

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weird feeling in forearms and other muscles - cramping? spasticity?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »
I really would not worry, sounds like muscle cramps, anytime I write long essays I get the same. Not really carpel tunnel, but tightness and even a little weakness in the wrist flexors. I find it helps if I lower the keyboard to belly-button height. Spasticity, def not by definition I seriously doubt any neuro involvement.

Make sure to keep plenty hydrated and I would even suggest some stretching
Bookmark and Share
RIP Arturo Gatti April 15, 1972-July 9, 2009...***www.vitaminDcouncil.org***

Offline anxietyhell

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
I have these same exact feelings. For the past week both of my legs feel week. Like when I am walking they feel like the could just give out at any minute. Also my left arm right above my elbow on the back side feels really really week. I saw the neurologist on Friday for my dizziness that won't go away and also mentioned all of this to him and also the muscle twitches that I am having everywhere and he said there is no ms or als and no other neurological disease. He wanted to put me on paxil but I have tried that before and it did nothing so I suggested zoloft and he put me on that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 01:11:06 PM »
Spasticity often accompanies neuromuscular/brain disorders.  My eldest has spasiticity due to her congenital brain abnormality.  What you are describing isn't that.  It sounds more like myoclonic jerking which happens when just falling asleep but also if a person has been tense during the day.  Or, like Auro, said cramping.  I get cramping in my feet several times a week. On about 3 or 4occasions I've had cramps in my shins.  I also get hand cramps.  Cramps can be caused by scary stuff.  That's what always got me all twisted up.  I talked to my neuro about this too.  He said that since I have some disk issues/neuropathies, it could cause cramping.  About three days ago my neck along my shoulder got very tight--this along my impinged nerve area.  Well I was reaching across the table to snatch a bit of my hubby's dinner and my hand cramped up on me.    Also I notice if I'm more anxious I cramp more.

the band around your calf--back in 2000 I experienced that same sensation.  It felt like I was wearing socks when I wasn't.  I  told my other neuro about this.  He was completely unimpressed.  So guess it wasn't anything to be worried about because here 9yrs later, my legs work and I'm still fully functional. :winking0008:

I also do some of that jerking stuff.  My thumb was doing that this morning.  About a month ago I had my legs crossed an my right leg was jerking forward just a bit.  hmmmm weird but that's about what I thought of it.  Those are some of the myoclonic jerking I've experienced awake.

I don't know I've had weird things happen to me on/off for several years.  My ear plugged thing is one of those.  I get the twitching and that band feeling around my leg or that wet spot on my leg feeling etc.  I've gotten to the point now that if any of these things were from something truly sinister, I'd be in really bad shape about now. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
I wanted to add about the cramping.....  Being in a constant or near constant state of tension that you've been over these last few months it is extremely plausible that your muscles are exceedingly tense.  Being tense over time can also cause muscles to cramp.   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 54
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:56:29 PM »
Exactly what Six said. :yes:

I had that thing you described at the beginning of my summer classes, where I'd go to click a mouse or write a word, etc. and my hand would jerk forward. It was happening in my legs too, and my hands and feet felt freezing all of the time. Coincidentally, this was during one of my computer science classes, where I was spending basically 90% of my waking time on the computer (summer classes move very fast). I began stretching and it released some of the tension. Good computer posture helps, too. But yep, like Six said, sounds like a bit of myoclonic stuff, which is just a fancy name for twitching/jerking due to excess nervous energy.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline AnxiousMatt

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:42:18 AM »
I would say A MAJORITY of the symptoms IF NOT ALL of the symptoms you have are from extended periods of use on the computer...BELIEVE ME, the more time I spend on the computer, especially with bad posture, you can have really bad cramping/twitching in many extremities, even in your neck and shoulders...

I have alot of these same issues and I would say it is mostly if not all from sitting on the computer for hours on end lol...we are our own worst enemies
Bookmark and Share
Check out my blog! It might help you!

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?article=18998.0

Offline worriedsick

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 12:43:30 PM »
I would say A MAJORITY of the symptoms IF NOT ALL of the symptoms you have are from extended periods of use on the computer...BELIEVE ME, the more time I spend on the computer, especially with bad posture, you can have really bad cramping/twitching in many extremities, even in your neck and shoulders...

I have alot of these same issues and I would say it is mostly if not all from sitting on the computer for hours on end lol...we are our own worst enemies

i suppose - but ive been on a computer basically 24/7 for the past 8 years straight.  I wake up go to work, sit at computer for 10 hours, come home, sit at computer for 3-4 more and go to bed. =(

only time "off" i get is when i go to the gym.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 54
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »
That's all well and good, but even a bad night of sleeping is enough to throw out a vertebrae or a neck muscle a little bit, which would be exacerbated by computer use, even if it's not a new thing for you. Since it's nothing that could be considered clinical weakness, then you do not need to worry about any "fatal but not imminently fatal diseases." Anything serious like that presents as very definite signs that other people can notice.

If you're not already, I suggest stretching at the computer every 15-20 minutes, or if you can't get up to walk around, then do some stretches in your chair.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Tags: