Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: left side stomach pain  (Read 39890 times)

Offline michaela

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
left side stomach pain
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »
For the last 3 weeks I have been having a dull discomfort or pain on the left side under the ribs.
Also I feel like my whole stomach is tense like when you do sit ups. For the last 3 days I feel worst after eating. My anxiety and worry are high.

I have been on prilosec for the last 12 days but do not see improvement. I am worry and scare about going to the Dr. and having to do an endoscopy.
 Are there any other alternative that I can try without going to the Dr., also now being afraid :( to eat and feeling the discomfort.

thanks

Bookmark and Share

Offline jasonibs9

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: left side stomach pain
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »
Michaela ,
  You don't need to do an endoscopy...  Just tell him you'd like to get set up for a HIDA scan or Ultrasound for the gallblatter. 

By your experiences , I can see that you and I share the same discomfort... that dull ache can be very persistant...   Hopefully the foods you are eating aren't a lot of heavy foods like beef , deep fried , or creamy foods. 

Go to the grocery store and load up on instant oatmeal , watermelon (fresh), cantelope , roasted chicken(peel skin) , fish , and lettuce , granola bars , and applesauce.  Don't slam it down but eat some every hour.. You'll be better in a day or so.  Stop the prilosec in my opinion.. that stuff has side effects like crazy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jasonibs9

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »
also , i have a part in the book i wrote about how to calm this sort of thing down.  here is the link to it -

http://www.amazon.com/Overexposed-Model-Journey-Male-II/dp/1425748287/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247789129&sr=8-1
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »
Pain under the right rib is gallbladder pain, not the left. An EGD is a simple
test with minimal side effects if any. I would go to the doctor and tell him how you feel
and see what his response is.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline jasonibs9

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »
Michaela ,
  Marc's response is incorrect. Your gut wall that protrudes underneath the bottom 1/2 of the left side of the ribcage is in fact related to the gallbladder.  Get a HIDA scan , its a piece of cake. Usually when you go in , they can check around the rest of your stomach as well to see what's happening.  You don't need to get all this other special stuff done. I don't want to send you in a panic over all this like some others may because this is typical when dealing with Anxiety. The body releases waste that has otherwise not been fully processed by the body (diarrhea) This can cause discomfort on that left side of your stomach just under the ribs and cause a bit of gas too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »
I am sorry but you are not correct Michaela. My information comes directly from
my GI physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline hotangy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:58:08 AM »
Hey, Did you ever find out what was causing the left sided pain under your rib. I have the same issue. I had it for about a year or longer. The doc says its gas and acid reflux. I tend to burp a lot after and a little bit food comes along with it. I do tend to eat a lot. But the pain makes me worried and brings my anxiety levels high.
Thanks for your relpy. :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline chloed

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »
hi there i am having this left side problem too...anyone find out what it is its been going on for a while now and im getting worried....
Bookmark and Share

Offline corie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
i'm very curious about this pain in the left hand side under the ribs. i've been experiencing this for months now and always comes with full on panic attacks. my doctor has chosen to ignore it when i ask him about it. i also have a wacky thyroid and a buldging disk in my lower back so its hard to know exactly whats going on in my body atm.what can me done to ease the stabbing pain that just doesnt seem to go away?
Bookmark and Share

Offline TabulaRasa

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »
Firstly Thyroid disease/issues can cause alot of panic attack symptoms , atleast what I have read.
I donīt have thyroid disease, but I have had alot of panick attacks, after numerous heart test, I got a bit better and donīt worry so much about raising heart to much anymore. But I too have that left side dull pain, and I have started to have more stomach issues in general for the last 2 months. Btw, my issues have been Raising heart/Panick attacks, dizzyness and now lately stomach issues.
Done alot of blood tests and numerous heart check ups(pretty much all of them you can take), all came back good.

I am 32 and male.
Bookmark and Share

Offline corie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 09:01:20 PM »
i've read that thyroid issues can set off panic attacks too. i've only had the thyroid problem for the last 6 months though and my panic attacks have been going on for years. my new meds are taking a bit to adjust and i feel like crap :( i'm 32 female
Bookmark and Share

Offline kris34

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:39:34 AM »
Hello, New to the Zone. I just felt compelled to share. I am 34 year old female who has suffered with anxiety (gad) all my life. Since i was 5 I remember severe bouts of seperation anxiety from my mom while i was at school. And as i got older everyone just thought i was really weird or strange, friends or family, and why couldn't i just relax and have a good time.  I realize now, i believe genetic, some from mom and from my father, who passed away when i was 17. I never got to ask him the questions i would love to ask NOW. Cancer ran on my fathers side which only increases my anxiety and panic. I am a hypochondriac at times unless i feel good for awhile than don't think as much. My grandfather passed at 34 of stomach cancer and my dad at 49 due to liver cancer hence my panic with my own digestive problems! I too have suffered with left side discomfort and pain for 3 years now. More and likely due to my anxiety and and constant stress levels. I have had blood tests and endoscopy and no one could find out what was wrong with me. I have had times in between usually summer ( i live in north east) that i would forget about most of my symptoms and problems and would get adaquate exercise and keep busy. I notice also if i don't keep some kind of food in my stomach every 2 to 3 hours ( a light snack) i get terrible burning in my stomach. So i keep it from going empty and i feel better. I would love to erradicate this discomfort all together in my left side under rib. But have yet to find the key..... I just wanted to share my experiences to let others know ..NOt alone
Bookmark and Share

Offline TabulaRasa

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
Do you with this left side pain have IBS or have stomach issues like constipation or the runs
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy131

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »
i had the same pain, and after i had a colonoscopy my gastro sat down with me and explained that the descending colon starts up under the rib cage- it's a long snaky thing with lots of twists and turns. if you aren't getting enough fiber, exercise or water, gas or bowels can move slower through the track, causes all sorts of pains and whatnot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bandini

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
This is exactly what I've been experiencing but I do get a lot of exercise and drink fluids a lot.  Seems to make things worse sometimes.  Exercise can help just whenever anything hits my stomach is when it goes nuts.
Bookmark and Share
I was walking down the road, and a man was hammering on a roof top.  And, he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Tags: