Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: sudden strong jolt/shock in middle of chest  (Read 24149 times)

Offline nipplelina

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
sudden strong jolt/shock in middle of chest
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:29:55 AM »
usually i search for sensations before i make a thread, but i'm nervous.  i know this happened before. just this time around it felt stronger.

i was just laying on the couch texting and all of a sudden a jolt/shock sharp feeling in the center of my chest. didn't feel like a rush of a adrenaline. now it feels like a bruise. so i'm worried....anyone have an explanation for this? so i can sleep tonight  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline wisslewj

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: sudden strong jolt/shock in middle of chest
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:47:30 AM »
Hey Nips,

I get that jolt of adrenaline you are talking about at times.  Man in sucks!  A wierd shortness of breath usually follows for a bit.  Pacing always seems to help me.  As for the other feeling, I would imagine if we can get wierd pains in our body, no reason we can get them there as well.  We have nerves all over!

Sometimes I get pains there then I get a huge burp and they clear.  Anyway, hope you are feeling better.

Jeff
Bookmark and Share

Offline cubmanben

• Rec's: 15
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »
Yeah, I've had those sudden jolts, sometimes accompanied with a big palpitation as well that literally takes your breath away for a moment. They used to scare the heck out of me as well. I know the cause of the palpitation induced ones, as for the cause of the sudden sharp sensations, I've never been given a good medical reason why they happen, they're just one of those strange phenomenon that happen from time to time. I hope this post finds you well and doing better.
Bookmark and Share
“I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4).

Offline wannabfree

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:53:11 PM »
Hey! I've gotten these jolts and pains before myself. Much of the time, they aren't really provoked by any one thing, though I do notice if I have been lifting heavy things or carrying things I may get the pain more frequently. Also, just from breathing improperly because of our anxiety, it can cause muscular pains in our chest. Most of my pains are in the center or the left side of my chest, so they used to really freak me out, and then on occasion, I would get the palpitations or a flip flop feeling I suppose from the adrenaline of being so scared that something was wrong with me.

I also get that after pain/bruised feeling you mentioned. Sort of like after I get a migraine, I have like post headache/bruised feeling, I have a similar sensation of an achy bruise after the pain, so I have come to be the conclusion it must be muscular and/or stressed nerves. A few years back I went to the doctor after having an increased frequency of these pains and he said it was intercostal pain, something like costochondritis or something, basically pain and inflammation where the bones and muscles meet the cartilage of the breastbone, like that joint. Told me to take some otc pain relievers to help. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing, but in any case, chest pain like this is common with anxiety.

Take care and I hope you got some rest!
Bookmark and Share
...a work in progress...

Offline nipplelina

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »
hey, thanks everyone!  :action-smiley-065:

I do feel a lot better knowing you guy's had this too. yes they suck a whole lot! I almost went into full panic mode again, but thankfully i just got nervous lol my anxiety has been low for awhile now. when it was high i can remember having these more often. so that's why i almost panicked.

i can always count on you wendy, i need your phone number lol jk! the way we breathe with anixety is a good point for a cause. that bruise feeling is the worst! it keeps me from exercising! thank's for your input ;)  i do need rest!

i am doing better, despite these little setbacks. I hope you're all doing well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline el-k

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »
hope you're feeling better. I've experienced the same sensations and it can really disconcerting. It's difficult to take your mind off the sensation, but I always try to listen to some music or some light physical activity just to occupy my mind
Bookmark and Share

Offline amers

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 01:10:44 AM »
Hope you're feeling better!

I've gotten something like this too!  I always thought of them as like, 'heart jolts' which is different than the adrenaline jolts I get a lot...when it happens I feel a sharp pain in the left side of my chest around my heart.  Like you mentioned it isn't always accompanied by an adrenaline rush, that is separate usually.

When it happens I sometimes get worried and think I am having a heart problem.  I try to tell myself that it isn't, its just nervousness but sometimes I have a hard time convincing myself (I guess this is why I have GAD? lol).

Bookmark and Share

Offline nipplelina

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »
Hope you're feeling better!

I've gotten something like this too!  I always thought of them as like, 'heart jolts' which is different than the adrenaline jolts I get a lot...when it happens I feel a sharp pain in the left side of my chest around my heart.  Like you mentioned it isn't always accompanied by an adrenaline rush, that is separate usually.

When it happens I sometimes get worried and think I am having a heart problem.  I try to tell myself that it isn't, its just nervousness but sometimes I have a hard time convincing myself (I guess this is why I have GAD? lol).

lol. thats why i have GAD too i guess lol but yes, the way you described is exactly how i felt. its comforting and omg i just got a lil jolt right now i was typing. ahhh! i got nervous just before, thats probably why. just thinking about it etc. boo

i am feeling better, thank you guy's

its hard not to focus on such things! i'll try listening to music, usually i just freeze and tense up.. tsk.

Bookmark and Share

Offline nipplelina

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »
 :action-smiley-065:

now i know these sensations are caused by anxiety/nervousness/worry/stress. I've been feeling really really good lately. last night, i really wanted to sleep by 10pm. but it wasn't happening. i was in the dark tossing and turning. started thinking, thinking, and thinking. which led to negative things and worry. then i tried to ignore and my heart was already going fast. and it happened. prior to that, i was relaxed all day and felt great.

anyway, check this out. http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,14413.0.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zounds

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »
I just had one of these and found this thread.  I was reading an article on the Internet and then BOOM this jolt went right through the center of my chest and hurt for maybe 1 second.  Then it went away.  Not accompanied by really anythign else other than a slightly elevated pulse rate (probably b/c of my shock at what the hell it was) but now I just feel kind of weird.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: