Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Curious to find out more about Xanax/Xanax XR  (Read 4150 times)

Offline kermit

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Curious to find out more about Xanax/Xanax XR
« on: April 21, 2009, 06:34:23 AM »
Hi,
I am currently med free as ADs do not help with my anxiety and emetophobia.  I'm reading heaps of stuff about xanax and am curious to find out if it would help me.  I don't get anxious all day, every day, some days I'm worse than others but I would only probably need to take one tablet a couple of times a week, say if a stomach bug is going around or something like that. 

Do you think this would help with my anxiety?

Are there any side effects (like nausea)? I also get IBS, does it help with this? Does it cause drowsiness?

I know everyone is different but would love to get some feedback.  I don't plan to have it several times a day.

Thanks,
kermit
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Curious to find out more about Xanax/Xanax XR
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »
Thinking back through my anxiety-ridden existence, emetophobia was my 1st real fear as a kid. Every time I'd get a hint of a stomach ache I would go nuts and think it would surely lead to a horrendous episode of throwing up. Nausea sucks. But I have rarely thrown up from it. I could never understand how someone could just mention that they weren't feeling good, calmly walk to the toilet, throw up, and then come back and say "Ahh, that's better". B-;

I have been on both forms of Xanax as well as ADs. I currently take one 2mg xanax xr when I get up and it does the job all day. Personally, I don't think about the dumb things that I used to (obsessing over getting sick, swallowing, breathing, or if what I just ate was spoiled and is going to come back up). The XR version is less likely to cause drowsiness because of the slow release, whereas the IR most likely will ***** first, especially if you have never taken a benzo before. I have never experienced any gastrointestinal or stomach problems from either form.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kermit

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:10:21 AM »
thanks for your reply.

i've heard pretty bad things about xanax as in it causes high dependency (but i don't know how many times a day you'd have to take it or for how long for this to occur - i would only be looking at taking it once a day, once or twice a week) and really bad withdrawal effects (i.e. nausea etc.). But i've read heaps of stuff on this and other forums from people saying it helps their anxiety heaps.

Have you heard about this negative stuff? How long have you been on it for? have you ever taken valium or ativan? these are the other 2 i've heard about ...

thanks,
kermit
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »
I was on Lorazepam (Ativan) 10 years ago in the initial stages of getting on Paxil. Valium I've never tried.

Xanax can cause dependency just like any other drug (ADs, crystal meth, nasal sprays, Tylenol PM), and cause addiction if it's abused. If it's not abused and taken as directed, then you'll be fine. If it's complete phobia/fear prevention you're looking for, look into longer acting benzos like Xanax XR or Klonopin on a daily basis. If it's situational, then I imagine any short acting one would give you equal benefit. If you want to avoid withdrawal effects, structure a tapering off schedule w/ your doctor. Never take benzos long term (daily) and just quit suddenly. The withdrawal can be horrific, just like many anti-depressants, crystal meth, nasal sprays, and Tylenol PM! (Well, not so much the last 2 but I think you get my point.)

Some people get alot of benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy while on a benzo and then when they are ready, wean off the drug. You may want to look into it (desensitization to vomiting is a common practice w/ CBT therapists). I personally cannot grasp or absorb anything my therapist says unless I am in my right mind to start with, which is where Xanax puts me. I've been on it daily for one year now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 03:29:34 AM »
there's a lot said about addiction with benzos like xanax and ativan. personally, i don't think you can develop an addiction to something you don't have cravings for. you can have withdraws from these medications if you stop taking them abruptly, but i have never met anyone who has ever experienced cravings while on them.

if you want to try taking a benzo, then i would suggest trying to find a psychiatrist who is actually willing to prescribe them. many doctors don't want to prescribe scheduled drugs because of the hassle that comes with it. some doctor's will only prescribe .25mg of xanax every other day or something of that sort. you want a doctor that will actually prescribe a dosage that will work on day one of treatment and then will adjust your dosage when needed. also, they will choose a medication based n their experience and your symptoms. if you ask about xanax and they prescribe klonopin just realize there in the same class of drugs.

as for side effects. there relatively side effect free. the main side effect is sedation, but that goes away after a week or so. they will help with IBS and any other anxiety related symptom. if you experience any weird side effect then it's probably just your own anxiety at taking new drug. there's not as much downside as many people believe with them, so hopefully you can have success with them.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline kermit

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 07:34:15 AM »
Hi,
I agree with what you're saying about craving them, i don't think i would ever get addicted to them, i don't have an addictive personality plus i wouldn't have them that regularly. just knowing they're there would help reduce my anxiety.

I'm tossing up between ativan, valium and xanax xr - not sure which would be the best for me.  I work fulltime and don't need help sleeping so just need something to reduce the anxiety at times and that will also help with my ibs - any suggestions on which of these meds may be the best?
I have hopeless doctors and psychs where i live so the more info i have the better, then i can ask them what i think will work best for me.
Thanks heaps,
kermit
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 09:28:20 AM »
well, there all sedating, so they all knock you out at first. that's just an initial side effect though. after a week or so that will go away. xanax XR won't last longer than ativan or valium. valium stays in your bloodstream the longest but, the peak effects of ativan last the longest. of course, the xanax is the most potent. xanax XR is the only benzo without a generic, so be advised of that. there's also klonopin which is equally as potent as xanax but lasts longer.

personally, i take ativan. which is an excellent benzo to take on a daily basis. it's a bit different then the other three. there's two problems with ativan. one is it can leave you feeling foggy-headed for awhile. the other is the fact that there is so many manufacturers and the oral solution can be difficult for them to get right. if you get the liquid form or name brand then that's not a problem.

also, understand the benefits of taking it daily versus occasionally. if you want to take it only as needed then you need a fairly strong dosage to kill an attack. i would have to take 3-4 mg of ativan to kill an attack but choose to take 1.5-2mg everyday to feel normal. if you take it daily your symptoms will gradually diminish. i'm not saying that it's necessarily better that way though.

whatever you do try to make sure they give a dose that will help you the first time you take it and make sure you get a full thirty day supply regardless of how often you take it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »
xanax XR is the only benzo without a generic, so be advised of that.

I've been taking the generic form for the last year. Manufactured by Greenstone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:54:25 AM »
i stand corrected. i didn't realize it has been on the market that long.
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 05:36:18 AM »
A few different labs/companies have had it out since 2006.
Bookmark and Share

Offline coops

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »
The important thing you need to do is try it yourself. Everyone reacts differently. I take Xanax as needed, and sometimes for sleep. My doctor told me to be careful when taking them, that some people come in begging for them. Over the last year or so, we went further into it, and he kind of said the same thing. Some people are just more likely to get addicted to things than others. If you have an addictive personality it's probably best to steer away from benzos. With that said I have never felt some huge craving to get in the medicine cabinet and start popping them or any other pill for that matter, but this is coming from someone who has no addictions. I don't drink, smoke etc. I will say if you have situational anxiety it's a lifesaver; for me anyway, in those situations. If you have GAD you might want to try a SSRI/SNRI. I tried just about everything before meds, and got lucky and found what works right off the get go, but everyone reacts differently so you will have to try different things. The good thing about Xanax is that you can try it, and find out if it works for you quickly. It's been around for decades and is safe as can be at relative doses. I also take Effexor, and it took a couple weeks before I could even tell it was working, plus those couple of weeks are not fun.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: