Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Ativan and Xanax together ?  (Read 35077 times)

Offline stressed444

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Ativan and Xanax together ?
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:59 AM »
My psych switched me back from Xanax to Ativan 3x per day.  I don't want to get hooked on Xanax even though it works wonders.  He told me to keep a .5mg Xanax in my pocket incase I have a panic attack and only take it during that time.  I was led to believe from another DR that taking 2 different benzo's is a huge NO NO ?   

Is it safe to take Xanax and Ativan together?  I cannot honestly see me needing Xanax if I am taking a proper dose of Ativan.

I am also on 100mg of Zoloft (sertaline)

And 25mg seroquel to put me in lullaby land ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ativan and Xanax together ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 05:33:54 PM »
xanax every great once in a while would be okay. if you took xanax everyday with the ativan it would be just like taking an extra dose of ativan. i wouldn't worry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
I'm glad Ativan is working for you.  In some cases, it's okay to take 2 benzos.

He told me to keep a .5mg Xanax in my pocket incase I have a panic attack and only take it during that time. 

I am surprised he advised this.  According to many, if not all, cognitive behavioral books, carrying a "safety" like Xanax around with you in case of a panic attacks only encourages panic disorder.  It keeps you in fear of the panic attack.  The whole point of recovering is to get over the fear, not feed it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »

I am surprised he advised this.  According to many, if not all, cognitive behavioral books, carrying a "safety" like Xanax around with you in case of a panic attacks only encourages panic disorder.  It keeps you in fear of the panic attack.  The whole point of recovering is to get over the fear, not feed it.

from my personal experience, the opposite is true. you no longer become afraid of panic attacks when you know you can stop them. when you can stop worrying about it you anxiety levels go  and you handles triggers much better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:22:06 PM »
^^^

I disagree.  Xanax does not stop panic attacks.  When a panic attack occurs, adrenaline already has rushed through the system.  It will take 3 minutes to leave and for the body to return to a baseline state.  If a person feeds the attack with worry, the panic lasts longer than 3 minutes.  Xanax can help calm the mind while the body goes through the panic motions and no additional worry is added.  Sometimes Xanax will not stop the worry.  What I have written is documented to the point of common knowledge.

Stressed444, I may be wrong, but it seems as if your doctor is setting up a phobia.  If you avoid certain places or activities for fear of an attack and it is significantly interfering with your life, then you might already have a phobia and I am ALL FOR carrying around Xanax or any other "safety" like a cell phone, water, teddy bear, whatever.  Deal with the phobias later.  If you do not have phobias now, do not create any.  They totally suck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:12:56 AM »
actually once your mind is calmed down your body will be also. the mind controls the body you know. i cannot compare a drug such as Xanax to having a teddy bear it is not the same.

every month i receive a bottle of ativan and on the label it instructs me to "take 1/2 to 2 per day as needed for panic" after having became agoraphobic for a time the ativan broke the cycle of panic and now i don't worry about having panic attacks in public places. i believe many can attest to the importance breaking the cycle of panic.

Bookmark and Share

Offline stressed444

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:25:05 AM »
it actaully eases my mind knowing I have something that will work quickly which allows me to do more things.  Honestly,  Ativan has been working so I don't even see the need for me to carry the Xanax around anyways. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 07:22:13 AM »
^^^

I disagree.  Xanax does not stop panic attacks.  When a panic attack occurs, adrenaline already has rushed through the system.  It will take 3 minutes to leave and for the body to return to a baseline state.  If a person feeds the attack with worry, the panic lasts longer than 3 minutes.  Xanax can help calm the mind while the body goes through the panic motions and no additional worry is added.  Sometimes Xanax will not stop the worry.  What I have written is documented to the point of common knowledge.

Xanax does not stop panic attacks? This drug has shut down neurological channels for me MANY times when I was on the verge of ***** because I could not escape the irrational thoughts. As for the state of the body and returning to "baseline", that cannot happen until the panic thoughts are shut down, which is what Xanax does. 10 years ago when I started experiencing unprovoked panic w/ no outside stimulus, I had no idea what was happening to me, and I definitely didn't have a benzo tranquilizer to stop it. I had attacks that lasted over an hour, and I wanted to blow my head off to escape it.
The brain controls the body's actions/reactions when talking about panic attacks. Xanax shuts down the mindframe that causes the horrific body sensations and symptoms.
As far as your 3 minute rule, it's funny I have never heard of it, or the fact that "Xanax doesn't stop panic attacks", if it is so highly documented and common knowledge. It has definitely saved me from hell many times, and that's not placebo effect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline muldoon

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »

He told me to keep a .5mg Xanax in my pocket incase I have a panic attack and only take it during that time. 

During the nearly 10 years that I was on Paxil, my Psychiatrist had prescribed a bottle of xanax for me "just in case". Granted, I only needed the one bottle the entire 9 years, but he also advised me to keep 1 or 2 accessible to me wherever I went. In no way did this ever feed or create anxiety, fear, or a panic attack. The only time I ever "feared an attack" is when I felt one coming on and knew I didn't have access to something that would stop it. If you take a preventive measure, it creates peace of mind, not the opposite.

To me, what you are saying is much like driving around with a spare tire encourages getting a flat tire.
Bookmark and Share

Offline laa43

• Rec's: 14
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »
OMG muldoon is soooo right on this one! I can't tell you how many panic attacks were avoided just by knowing I had something in case it happened. If I didn't have anything..........thats when my anxiety could very easily turn straight into a panic attack! I rarely ever have to use it because of this.   As far as two benzos......personally I've had both and they work the same to me....I personally think you only need one....geez if I took both of those I would be barely able to stay awake.
Bookmark and Share
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are mere trivial things compared to what lies within us"....Emerson

Offline laa43

• Rec's: 14
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
As far as your 3 minute rule, it's funny I have never heard of it, or the fact that "Xanax doesn't stop panic attacks", if it is so highly documented and common knowledge. It has definitely saved me from hell many times, and that's not placebo effect.

lol exactly......xanax has been a godsend for panic attacks for me too....I don't know about "stopping the brain from worrying"....but when I'm having a panic attack, all I care about is that the horrible physical symptoms of it goes away....and xanax takes it away for me! Luckily I don't have many panic attacks anymore.
Bookmark and Share
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are mere trivial things compared to what lies within us"....Emerson

Offline Copper

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 10:07:36 PM »
I disagree.  Xanax does not stop panic attacks.  When a panic attack occurs, adrenaline already has rushed through the system.  It will take 3 minutes to leave and for the body to return to a baseline state.  If a person feeds the attack with worry, the panic lasts longer than 3 minutes.  Xanax can help calm the mind while the body goes through the panic motions and no additional worry is added.  Sometimes Xanax will not stop the worry.  What I have written is documented to the point of common knowledge

This comes down to the difference between drug and talk therapy. Psychologists do not generally believe that drug therapy is effective and justify it in ways you describe. I went to CBT for 2 1/2 years before trying benzos so I speak from experience when I say carrying a safety like xanax does not reinforce the anxiety. If you always have to take it in a certain situations you may have a point. But I had a well known psychiatrist who specializes in treating panic disorder prescribe me xanax and advocated the idea of a "magic pill in my pocket" helps prevent the cycle of anticipatory anxiety becoming a full fledged panic attack. You are correct about xanax acting too slowly to abort a panic attack but knowing you can excuse yourself to go to the restroom and come back 10-15 minutes later after the xanax kicks in is a powerful tool. I agree with you about avoidance reinforcing the anxiety but I reject the notion that carrying around a pill that you rarely have to use reinforces the anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

simple_girl

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 04:52:02 AM »
my doctor told me that if im in the verge of having a panic attack or actually having it i should take xanax.i dont know i have this fear that if i take xanax when im having a panic attack it might increase my difficulties like having short breath,feeling dizzy,fast heart beats.sounds crazy but i really fear that.so i want to know if it really works or will stop my attacks.sorrry for my silly question but i really need reassurance.xanax have done wonders for me  in terms that i take it when i feel anxious and it relaxes me .but i never took it yet when having a mild or full blown panic attack...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »
1.  I did not say that it wrong to carry around Xanax to make you feel safe if anxiety becomes intolerable.  I believe that a person should take the most realistic measures to function and be happy in everyday life.  If it means carrying around Xanax, then carry around Xanax.  I think it is okay.

2.  I agree with cognitive behavioral theories.   All books I have read on this subject related to anxiety (and I have read about 20) state that carrying around a "safety" like Xanax is a form of avoidance.  They say that a person must confront the situation they fear (having a panic attack).  I have 3 books in front of me which support this idea.  Panic Attack Workbook (Carbonell), The Agoraphobia Workbook (Pollard, Zuercher-White), Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic (Barlow, Craske).

3.  Many psychopharmacologists and psychiatrists disagree with cognitive behavioral theories.  You may disagree too.  That is perfectly fine.

4.  l carry around Xanax.  It does not mean that I am a hypocrite.  It means that at this point in my life, I do not have time to do exposure work or learn to face my fears of having panic attacks.  Right now, I need to function.  I have to be realistic.  In the upcoming months, I will let go of the bottle.  The time has to be right.

5.  The OP's question figured out his problem, like, 10 replies ago.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Door

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 08:33:26 PM »

"Panic is caused by a surge of adrenaline.  If you can allow and flow with the bodily reactions caused by this surge, much of this adrenaline will metabolize and be reabsorbed in three to five minutes."

-Edmund J. Bourne, M.D.
The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook 4th ed
p. 121

Xanax has no effect on adrenaline that already has been released in your system.  This is a scientific fact.  It may calm you down enough so that your brain will not tell your body to release any more adrenaline.  I believe it does help in this way.

Your anecdotal evidence does not support a conclusion that is true.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: