Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Are you ever unable to think clearly or focus due to anxiety?  (Read 11735 times)

Offline GreyGoose

• Administrator
  • Rec's: 38
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Help through caring
    • Poke This Member
Are you ever unable to think clearly or focus due to anxiety?
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:58:13 PM »
Has anyone here ever had periods of intense anxiety where you couldn't think clearly or focus, your thoughts seemed disorganized and maybe you found yourself doing some scatterbrained things which only made the anxiety worse because you felt like you were losing it or going mad?. Have you ever had days where you felt like your IQ just dropped 20 points?.

I know there have been times (especially today) where I have posted messages and then re-read them and thought "gee, that doesn't make any sense at all" or "hmmm...these two sentences are backwards and I forgot to add this word and there's a double-instance of that word over there", etc. Pretty soon (and after re-writing the same post maybe 5-6 times), everything begins to look garbled and nothing makes sense anymore. 

My anxiety has been going through the roof lately and I don't know if it's because of the recent HUGE spat I had with my unsympathetic and unsupportive father, alcohol withdrawal, the medication(s) I'm taking, some horrifying disease eating away at me or just plain old anxiety itself.

Anyway, thank you all for allowing me to share as we ALL battle this terrible demon inside of us.

- Regards, GreyGoose
Bookmark and Share
Help Through Caring

Offline apple

• Rec's: 14
    • Poke This Member
Re: Are you ever unable to think clearly or focus due to anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:30:52 PM »
Ever look all over the house for your keys and start panicking cause your in a hurry and you start getting angry and feakish only to have your kid point out that you have them in your hand? :P

You look and the word THE looks like its spelt wrong
Bookmark and Share
I hope everyone could suffer less by knowing more

Offline GreyGoose

• Administrator
  • Rec's: 38
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Help through caring
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »
You bet! :bigsmile:

It must run in my family because I remember my grandmother once telling me that she got up one morning, washed her dog's food dish out in the sink, cut up a grapefruit in one half and poured cereal in the other half. It was only when she began to put milk over the cereal that she suddenly realized what she was doing ;*).

I just hope this is "normal" scatterbrainedness as opposed to the "OH MY GOSH I must have some horrible disease!!" kind of scatterbrainedness B-;

- Regards, GreyGoose

Bookmark and Share
Help Through Caring

Offline Beth

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:14:56 PM »
I definitely think it's an anxiety thing. I've had times when I walked around desperately searching for my keys, only to realize that I was clutching them in my hand or that they were in the pocket of the jacket I was wearing.

Actually, it happened to me just now, in fact. I typed that last sentence and when I re-read it, I had typed the word "eyes" where the word "keys" is now. Yes, I was walking around desperately searching for my eyes! Now that WOULD be bad.

Bookmark and Share

Offline amensinger

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »
i FEEL THIS WAY WHEN i AM FEELING ANXIOUS, IT IS A NORMAL REACTION WHEN ANXIETY HITS.

ANDREA
Bookmark and Share

Offline lemongirl

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:36:17 PM »
Oh good grief, thats the story of my life.  When I am particularly anxious or stressed about something, I can't even focus on what I'm doing....and I work with kids so I really need to be attending.  Or sometimes I look in my daily plan and see what I was supposed to have done for the day, and I think "oh man, how could I not have done that!"  and then I look a little further and see that I actually did do the prep....and I can't remember a thing about it.  Thats scary.  I was thinking it was early stage alzheimers' (I'm 41) but maybe its just my over-riding anxious thoughts. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline auroraxborealis8

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »
wow this happens to me every morning when im getting ready for school  : :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share
Your problem is you're... too busy holding onto your unworthiness.  ~Ram Dass

Offline henrithecat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 01:32:35 AM »
I can't focus at work when I'm anxious - I'll be in the middle of something and suddenly forget what I'm doing, lose track of emails, forget important deadlines... it's really upsetting and makes me worry and have even more anxiety... it's a vicious cycle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline John22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:55 AM »
Oh tell me about it. I've got ADD almost as strong as GAD. Talk about a lightning storm of confusion. The other day I spent 10 minutes freaking out because I couldn't find my one pair of sunglasses because I hate the way the sun irritates my eyes if i'm outside for long periods of time on clear days. And my mind kept thinking about how awful a day I'd have without my sunglasses. Then my roommate pointed out they were on my head. oops!
Bookmark and Share

Offline HealingJourney

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:18:29 AM »
What you are talking about is too high cortisol levels and a brain preoccupied with scanning for trouble - which is what it is designed to do when anxious
Bookmark and Share
We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.

Robert Frost

My Avatar is a I'Itoi Native American Symbol called: Man In The Maze.
The labyrinth design depicts experiences and choices we make in our journey through life. In the middle we find our true self

Offline Princessa1

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 03:03:19 PM »
Yes....all the time....when I get like this....I try not to hold conversations with people...because then they will think Im really screwed up.....and the keys thing...happens to me all the time...its frustrating i know..and yes, I have been doing something in the kitchen like pouring my soda into a bowl instead of in a cup and then I realize that Im doing the wrong thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline idleman52

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
I know exactly where you're coming from on that one. It's almost like you make every mistake possible when anxiety gets to be too much. It seems like when I have real bad anxiety, I can't seem to remember anything. I haven't been the same since all this has happened to me over 3 years ago. I can't even remember what life was like before all this. So believe me I know what you're talking about.
Bookmark and Share
"Relax!? You must be crazy!"

Offline Daisy131

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
this happens to me when i am in panic mode- not when i'm having an attack but when my body is in full out panic mode. i get all stupid-headed, and forget the sentence i'm writing or what i'm trying to write because my brain is too busy scanning for danger, like someone else said. i feel like i have ADD on top of my anxiety, but i know it's just difficulty concentrating because i am too busy looking for something bad to happen, like lose my mind or ending up going psychotic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mew Face

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »
This has been happening to me more and more lately.  The one that bugs me the most is sometimes I end up writing words backwards.  Example "erom" instead of "more"  I have no idea why I have random hiccups like that.  Another is when I walk into a room to turn on a light but the light is already on and I'm there fiddling with the switch cause I haven't processed it in my head yet.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: