Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of Hepatitis C  (Read 1335 times)

Offline bigguy8979

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Fear of Hepatitis C
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:38:34 AM »
Hello, I recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done due to my fear of colon cancer a few months back. The results came back, and I received a clean bill of health, but I read some information on the internet which sparked my fear of hepatitis c. Yet again I managed to frighten myself by reading information on the internet. I read about a few cases where people have been put at risk for hepatitis c after having a colonoscopy and/or endoscopy done. I realize that transmission of hepatitis c through an endoscopy/colonoscopy or any other medical procedure must be extremely rare, but I cannot shake the fear. The fact that people have been put at risk or infected bothers me although these events must be extremely rare. I do not want to succumb to my fear and get tested for this because these countless tests do nothing to quell my anxiety. I will just find a new illness or disease to occupy my mind afterwards. Does anyone have any input regarding the safety of medical procedures? I spoke to the doctor, who of course knows my medical history, and the nurse, and they told me that they practice strict safety standards, but I still have this fear of hepatitis c. I don't want to get tested to overcome this fear. I would appreciate any input regarding my fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommy123

• Poke This Member
Re: Fear of Hepatitis C
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:44:24 AM »
BG   these  test are done every  day  i think  your  safe     colo eqipment  is steralized  after  every  procedure     i really  think  your  safe
Bookmark and Share

Offline catlover82

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:08:53 AM »
Doctors and nurses are trained in infection control. They know how to sterilise all their equipment so that it won't spread diseases. It's definitely a major concern that they have.

I think you're talking about the one case in Nevada where they reused the single-dose medication bottles and transmitted the disease that way. That's horribly negligent, but it's also very much the exception. There's a reason that only one case has been reported out of the millions of centres that perform those procedures. It violates all the standard medical practices.

Moreover, the facility in question was an outpatient center and wasn't board-certified in the same way that all hospitals and doctor's practices have to be. That means that the staff were inadequately trained in infection control.

If your procedure was done by a doctor or a nurse, if it was done at a hospital or a doctor's office, you're absolutely fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:47:48 PM »
also, those events that occured that caused hep c gave way to new safety regs.  the procedure is safer now than it ever was.
Bookmark and Share
Some day the mother ship will arrive and take my HA back to Mars where it belongs.

Offline bigguy8979

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Tags: