Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can Colon Cancer grow in 18 months?  (Read 18837 times)

Offline ems1981

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Can Colon Cancer grow in 18 months?
« on: December 16, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I had a colonoscopy in June 2007 as I had some issues with blood on my stools...The doctor said I had a clear colon but thought I had a tear that had healed before the procedure.....I was so happy until about 2 months ago...I started getting the occassional constipation and about a week ago it really hurt as I pushed and I noticed a streak of blood on the stool and two drops on the TP....I'm freaking out and think it's anal or Colon cancer....My bum is really itchy too which i've seen could also be a sign of anal cancer...this has been going on for a month or so....Can colon cancer grow in 18 months or would it have shown up last time I had the colonoscopy? I've also noticed that after having a big movement by anus stings when I try to wash it.....

Please doe's anyone have any advice? I'm at my wits end...There is no cancer in my family and I'm 27.

Thanks Emma
Bookmark and Share

Offline catlover82

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can Colon Cancer grow in 18 months?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »
Colon cancer is pretty much non-existent in people our age, so the odds of you having it are astronomically low, especially since you have no family history of it.

If you have constipation, your colon and anus are going to get irritated pushing out the dry, hard stools. That will cause itching, stinging and even bleeding.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinalynn

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »
Emma, I have the same problem right now too(the occasional blood on stool) I had a Colonoscopy about 5 years ago, so I was freaking out too. My Dr. said the chances of having Colon Cancer after having colonoscopy 5 years ago are 0 to none. He said Colon Cancer takes about 10 years to grow. First, it starts out as a polyp before it turns into a tumor. That's why people are recommended to get tested every ten years(starting at 50) unless they have a family history of it. I'm 37, and the chances of me having it is rare, so that makes it extremely rare for you! You're fine. You just have a tear or Hemmorhoid. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
"Life is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're gonna get"

Offline Noahs Mom

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
I know plenty people in their 20's and 30's who have had all sorts of cancer, including colon cancer.
I don't say that to add fear at all...  but I do know that cancer takes a LONG time to grow... especially colon cancer.  Your last colonoscopy should still provide reassurance.  But.... sounds like hemmroids!  (I can't spell that word to save my life...)  Or possibly a tear.
Bookmark and Share
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline catlover82

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »
The incidence of colon cancer in people in their mid-to-late 20s is 1/500 000. So, yeah, it's not impossible, but it's rare enough that it's not worth worrying about it unless you have a family history and until you have obvious symptoms! It's about the same risk as being hit by lightning, according to something Steve posted the other day. :P
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 07:32:34 AM »
I think this sounds more like an anal fissure or hemmorhoids. I suggest going to your doctor so he can tell you what is going on. I had pretty bad internal hems, and finally got up the gumption to go to the doctor. He gave me some medicine and after a week, I felt 100% better. Btw, I had a colonoscopy about 6 weeks ago, and I have some of what you describe. From what I understand, anal itching is not a symptom of colon cancer - but it is a symptom of anal fissures, along with blood when passing stool.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noahs Mom

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
A lot of disease is missed simply because people are "too young" for something.  That's why I went undiagnosed for over 2 years with cancer -- no one my age should get that type of OvCa -- so they say.  My co worker who just went into remission -- 32 -- she had colon cancer.  Same with many other people in my life.  Cancer doesn't discriminate against age - especially now that we live in such a ridiculously unhealthy society where most of our meals lack any nutrition except those that are chemically enhanced. 
   Everybody is an advocate for something, and one of the things I advocate is early detection and prevention based on symptoms, not age.  Since the poster had a colonoscopy very recently, she can sleep well at night knowing that she doesn't have colon cancer and fight the real demon - that nagging little voice in our heads called HA...  But since she does have symptoms of SOMETHING, definitely should get it checked out so you don't have to tolerate it -- but please rest assured that it sounds very benign.
Bookmark and Share

Offline catlover82

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »
I am sorry about your history with ovarian cancer, and I think that your doctors should have been more diligent in pursuing the issue if you were having symptoms. However, I don't think it's helpful on a hypochondriac forum to focus on extremely rare occurrences. I also don't think it's helpful to assume that the doctor's diagnostic methods are not accurate, because that's another rare occurrence. It's a medical fact that the main risk factor for almost all forms of cancer is age.

That said, I agree that any unusual and worrying symptoms do need to be evaluated by a doctor, and that, if you genuinely feel he/she has gotten wrong, you need to seek a second opinion. If I were experiencing anal bleeding that lasted for a few days, I would go and see the doctor, and get whatever tests were considered necessary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ems1981

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.....

I haven't had any blood for over a week now....and there is no pain now but am still getting an itchy bum.....that's my only symptom now....I have suffered from recurrent thrush so could this be the cause? It's normally in my vagina but I've heard it can go to your anus too. If I remember back to when it started I was in Dubai in 40 degree heat and remember being itchy then.....Is it possible to have a fissure for 2 months because that's when the itching began.....

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 01:52:05 PM »
I have had itching on and off for years. I don't know the cause. I asked my gynecologist about it several years ago and he told me to avoid spicy foods. My regular doctor gave me suppositories and blamed it on internal hemorrhoids. I usually do not advise googling, but google "pruritus ani". That may help you get some answers. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noahs Mom

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 12:05:22 PM »
As a hypochondriac, we have to arm ourselves with truth.  Otherwise, we're just telling ourselves lies to make ourselves feel better for the moment.  Fact is, cancer can happen at any age.  Disease happens all the time.  Fact is also - so does hypochondria.  Most of us will be disease free for most of our lives.  We have to learn to trust our doctors and not get caught up in the paranoia and down right fear that hypochondria brings.

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »
Typically ,colon and rectal cancer takes many years to grow. I had my last colonoscopy in April 2006 and the
physician that performed mine was a colorectal surgeon; chief of that department at the hospital I had it at as
an outpatient. He told me colorectal cancer is rare in people under age 50, but he is seeing more patients with it.
He said you are more at risk when you are under 50 if you have a strong family history, past adenoma polyps,
colitis or crohns disease or past colon cancer. Anal itching often happens with no known cause. It can be caused
by eating spicy foods, drinking chocolate, coffee, etc.  To avoid anal itching and bleeding, it is important not to strain and
to not sit there for long periods of time without activity. These comments were told to me by the same surgeon who has
been performing colonoscopies for over 20 years. It sounds like your symptoms are benign.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: