Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: tingling numbness around forehead  (Read 32060 times)

Offline hayter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
tingling numbness around forehead
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »
Think i may have posted something about this before but im in full blown anxiety mode at the moment! iv been having this weird tingling/numbness feeling for about a month now normally it only occurred when i was laid down but now seems to be occurring all the time! its hard to explain but when i say numb i can still feel the area if its touched!

Just feels like a permanent tingle! it does seem to go away when touched or if i have a hat on! im trying hard to convince myself its nothing bad and the Dr doesnt think it is but i have googled ( :-( ) and some scary stuff has come up or possible nerve damage! with everything else i have been afraid of i dont think my Dr will even think about sending me anywhere to get it checked

i dont know what to do
Bookmark and Share

Offline maddie98

• Poke This Member
Re: tingling numbness around forehead
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »
Try to relax.  It is pure anxiety.  I get this too.  Feels like my lips, cheeks, half of my face , etc go numb and tingle.  When your mind is occupied on something else, it will go away.  hope this makes you feel better. :happy0151:

-Maddie
Bookmark and Share

Offline harv

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »
I think I remember you posting this before because I think I responded to it once.  I noticed similar symptoms myself once.  It was a very vague sensation, like you describe - numb or tingling, but when I touch it I can still feel it.  In my case, I eventually realized it was from clenching my jaw, and pressing my tounge against the roof of my mouth.  I would try to relax my facial muscles, and then a few minutes later I would catch myself doing it again.  So in my case it was definately anxiety related.  See if you can concentrate on relaxing your face for a while, and maybe it will help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiouSteve

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:47:42 PM »
I think you are describing 'Paresthesia', which is a common symptom of anxiety.

"Paresthesia of the mouth, hands, and feet are common, transient symptoms of the related conditions of hyperventilation syndrome and panic attacks."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia

When my anxiety was really raging, I would get this primarily between my sideburn/ear area and my left eye, extending up to the temple.

I have a friend who has Anxiety, though not so much HA, and I see him rubbing his face like I did when he is in social situations.  Its almost feels like something that I can rub or scratch away, but I can't.  It's newly impossible to stop myself from putting my hands on it when I have it.  If something stresses me, it comes back to this day.

I consider it one of my friendly anxiety barometers.  For me it's much less irksome than the twitching, my most hated sensation...

Bookmark and Share

Offline catlover82

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:47:15 PM »
Interesting. I sometimes get numbness in my right ring finger and pinky, extending up the arm. I hadn't thought it might be connected with the anxiety in any way. I'd just put it down to cubital tunnel syndrome from spending too much time on the computer, and my doctor agreed with me and said I should get a wrist rest. I still think that's the case, but I wonder if the worry is exacerbating it.

In answer to the OP, Google is stupid. It can only give you a list of diseases that have the symptoms you're experiencing, and, as studies have shown, it normally gives you the worst ones first! It can't take your case history; it can't give you a physical examination; it can't interpret those things in the light of eleven years of medical training and clinical experience. Your doctor can do all of that, so they're going to be about a million times more reliable than Google.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bird

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 09:22:56 AM »
I get the "slight tingling but not quite numb" feeling randomly throughout my body.  Usually it's one or two toes, lasts a couple of weeks or so, and is gone.  I've had the feeling on my eyelid and my hands and fingers as well.  Of course, if you suffer from any form of anxiety at all you will immediately assume the worst-case scenario.  My therapist said that I basically need to just accept the fact that our bodies do these things for harmless and unexplained reasons.  I have often wondered if I experienced all of these neuro sensations before I started having Health Anxiety (due to over-googling), but because I wasn't focused on it I never noticed them.
Bookmark and Share
Pity me that the heart is so slow to learn
What the swift mind beholds at every turn.  -Edna St. Vincent Millay
When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.Proverbs 3:24

Tags: