Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin questions- how does it make you feel & can I use it with pain reliever?  (Read 87599 times)

Offline nmrx

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
I was just prescribed Klonopin for my anxiety to help take the edge off. I am going to be seeing a therapist but the klonopin is what will help me "survive" in the meantime.

I was afraid to take it today because I didn't know what to expect... how does it make you feel, in detail? Will it make me feel tired or way too dizzy to walk...? I have the lowest dosage. I have no clue how I will feel and I just wanted some insight... I know it may be different from person to person.

Also, more importantly, I will be needing to take a pain reliever for my period probably tomorrow and I always use Ibuprofen. I just called my pharmacy and they told me I would be fine to use the two together.
Has anyone heard different? I forgot to ask my doctor but I'm also hearing it's best to ask a pharmacist which I did. But I'm afraid... I may even try not to use the klonopin at all until I don't need to take Ibuprofen.

I'm curious about this too-- my anxiety has been unbearable within the past week but now that I have the Klonopin I feel like I'm not helpless and that I have something if I need it so that lessens the anxiety a bit. I had about 2-3 episodes -today- of fairly bad anxiety but eventually got over them on my own. In that case should I not use the Klonopin and just try to work through it or if I take it will it stop all episodes? I just don't want to take it if I don't need it.. but I don't know. I just really want to have a normal day. My doctor told me if I feel anxious to take it to calm me down.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ento23

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
nmrx,

I was prescribed Klonopin a few months ago and started taking it as-needed and found that it did nothing for me.  I tried 0.25 mg and I think even 0.5mg.  Anyways, I started to notice results when I began the regular dose of 1 mg per day in 3 increments: 0.25 morning, 0.25 afternoon, and 0.5 evening.  The only side effect I experienced was rather severe drowsiness but that subsided within 2 weeks.  Two months ago I increased my dose to 1.5 mg per day split up into 3-0.5 mg doses.  I experienced an increase in drowsiness for about a week but then it went away.  I notice no difference now than before Klonopin except an enormous reduction in anxiety.

As far as the pain reliever question goes.  Yes, you can take both.  I had this confirmed by 3 pharmacies and recently I 'messed' up my shoulder and the doctor prescribed me 800 mg ibuprofen (=4 advil) knowing that I'm already on klonopin (since he refills my script every month).

I've been quite anti-medication since I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder back in 2003.  I never found one that worked or that worked without SEs up until now.  I've tried all sorts of techniques to minimize the symptoms w/o meds but the anxiety got so out of control that I was left with no choice.  I made the decision to try medication again because quality of life was my priority.  So I can't say whether or not to go the 'med-route'.  That's your call.  But, if you do decide to, definitely see if it works as-needed because then you won't have to concern yourself with the drug dependence issues as much.  I hope this helps.

-ento23
Bookmark and Share

Offline ocdengineer

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
My experiences were exactly the same.  Initial drowsiness that faded and then drowsiness with increased doseage.  I eventually plateaued at 2 mg per day and I have been taking Xanax since.  It has worked wonders for my anxiety!

Take care,
OE
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
the Klonopin will probably make you drowsy, though you may feel a  little more energetic at the same time wanting to talk to other people and such. ibuprofen will be fine, just don't take sedatives. there isn't any major side effects that you should worry about. it won't make you feel sick nor will there be anything bothersome. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline nmrx

• Poke This Member
Thank you so much for the replies. I still have tried not to take the Klonopin but I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I'm in a cycle of anxiety... it comes and it goes but I have a feeling on the plane I may need to take one.

All of you have said things I was hoping to hear but I keep getting curious and looking up the side effects :(
Side effects in panic disorder may include:
Allergic reaction, constipation, coordination problems, depression, dizziness, fatigue, inflamed sinuses or nasal passages, flu, memory problems, menstrual problems, nervousness, reduced thinking ability, respiratory infection, sleepiness, speech problems, vaginal inflammation

Those all actually sound crazy! What if I take one on the plane and I get an allergic reaction? I wanted to try it beforehand but I was afraid of it keeping me up at night or just generally disrupting what I had to get done...

I know at this point I just have to take it and see how it will work for me, I know nobody can guess how I will react to it... it's frustrating that I have something that can help me but I can't bring myself to use it and I continue to suffer. The dose is only .25mg which is half a pill.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sorry I still haven't taken it after all that has been said :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline ocdengineer

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
I hope you do give it a try.   A benzo saved my life, so I am infinitely grateful to how these types of meds work.  I think if you take the small .25 mg dose before your flight, you will probably sleep like a baby the whole flight and I would be willing to bet that that will be the only side effect you will notice.  I haven't experienced any side effects at all from Xanax and they are really the same med.

Good luck,
OE
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
i just took some ativan about thirty minutes ago and i'm completely fine as you can tell by reading this. ativan the klonopin are in the same class of drugs and have very similar effects and and side effects. hopefully you felt okay enought that you didn't have to take any and if you didn't i'd still like to let you know that any side effects are exaggerated and they are one of the safest drugs if taken properly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline coops

• Poke This Member
Agreed if you are not a pill popper by nature these are very safe drugs. I hear all this addiction talk, but most of those who get addicted have the tendency to get addicted to anything such as cigarettes, alcohol or any other drug. If you have a legitimate medical need for them you are not addicted, but treating an affliction. I hate seeing people put these down as they are really the best IMO for actually treating the symptoms, while obviously leaving the underlying problem, but let's face it if your having symptoms you want relief. Natural stuff works for some, but never worked for me, and I don't care what anyone thinks honestly if you have really dealt with anxiety you want relief.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Troy_Hobart

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have been prescribed Klonopin for pacing.  I am taking 4 mgs of Pimozide for hot flashes and it makes me pace.  I am taking 3 mgs of klonopin 3 times a day.  Is 3 mgs a lot?
Thanks
Tim
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrambleRose

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
I've been taking a low dose of klonopin for about 3 years. I take .5mg about every other day or so. For instance I may take only 3 pills in a week. The main side effect is slight fatigue and lack of motivation. I also take 20mg of Lexapro. Lexapro is great for anxiety and depression. I've noticed that Lexapro helps me the most and I'm lucky I only have to take a very tiny dose of klonopin as it can be quite addictive.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ashpiefly

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Yeah, I take Klonopin now and my first prescription helped A LOT. But my second prescription hasn't kicked it just yet. I went 4 days in between without taking it.
Anyways, the only side effects I had was skin rashes that was severe... But a lot, big ones, all over... Either my arm, legs, neck, chest, elbow. It was bad. But I took a Ibuprofen, and they stopped itching.
Um, another side effect I had was memory loss. A lot of things was said that "I said" or "was said to me", and I swore up and down that that conversation never happened. Another side effect I get, still, is drowsiness. But Its not really drowsy, more so just sleepy... And that kinda takes a while to actually take effect. Some nights! Sometimes it takes shorter than others.

I like taking Klonopin because its better to pill pop than to have to deal with things that's "normal" to others but not you. Anxiety is probably the worse. NO ONE understands me or it. EVERY ONE looks at me like they seen a girl with her eyebrows under her eye.
I have noticed the more days I take it, the better I become.
I don't worry about being in public anymore.

Life is starting to get fun, again......................
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
I like taking Klonopin because its better to pill pop than to have to deal with things that's "normal" to others but not you. Anxiety is probably the worse. NO ONE understands me or it. EVERY ONE looks at me like they seen a girl with her eyebrows under her eye.
I have noticed the more days I take it, the better I become.
I don't worry about being in public anymore.

Life is starting to get fun, again......................

I don't wish to burst your balloon, but IMHO benzodiazepines should not be taken as the primary daily means of controlling anxiety. There is nothing wrong with the meds, but doctors are becoming increasingly wary of prescribing them because of the perceived dependency issue and will sometimes decide to stop prescribing them. Even worse some then decide to wean their patients off them in double quick time which can cause considerable suffering. This is unfortunate as dependency is as much an issue with antidepressants, but nevertheless antidepressants and/or therapy are therefore much better bets as treatments with benzodiazepines best used for occasional breakthrough anxiety, or as short term aids when first taking antidepressants.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
Hello, I take .5mg klonopin once daily. I was able to taper remeron and zoloft. Klonopin stays in my system all day, and I have no side effects. I have gad and panic and have had major depression. I feel good on just the klonopin. Once you find your dose and adjust, its a great med for some.[/i][/b]
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline hikingchik63

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
I also had sciatica and had to take 800 mg ibuprofen for a week or 2, with my klonopin and it was fine. I checked with my pharmacist and doctor. Ive also taken naproxen and aspirin too.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Tags: