Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Afraid of getting a colonoscopy  (Read 7394 times)

Offline bigguy8979

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Afraid of getting a colonoscopy
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:56:46 AM »
I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist, and I am probably going to get a colonoscopy to ease my fears concerning colon cancer. I have been worrying about colon cancer for quite some time so I decided to finally see a doctor about it. However, now I have somehow implanted these thoughts about the possibility of contracting a bloodborne disease during the process of a colonoscopy. I am afraid that the doctors and nurses may not thoroughly clean the equipment, or they will reuse syringes and other equipment. I have this paranoia over HIV and Hepatitis C. I read about an endoscopy center in Nevada putting many people at risk for Hepatitis C and causing some people to contract Hepatitis C. I couldn't find anything online about anyone getting HIV from a colonoscopy, but I did find a few cases of people getting Hepatitis C and getting put at risk for it. Now I am afraid that the hospital I am going to may not follow safe procedures while I have my colonoscopy. I feel like I am going crazy with this. I have finally decided to see a gastroenterologist about getting a colonoscopy, and now I am having fears concerning the safety of the procedure. I am much more freaked out about them not properly cleaning the equipment and putting me at danger for Hepatitis C than the possibility of them perforating my intestines. I can't believe I have new fears after finally getting the courage to get a colonoscopy. Can someone just tell me I'm crazy? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noahs Mom

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afraid of getting a colonoscopy
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:45:32 AM »
Big hugs, big guy!!

I'll be thinking about you today and hope your appointment goes well with the gastro.  I know it has taken tremendous strength to even go this far.

No matter what you do, there are no guarantees in life.  But contracting Hep C or HIV from a colonoscopy has got to be EXTREMELY rare.  Find out info about the hospital that you'd be having it done... I'm sure with a bit of research about the hospital, you'll be able to see if they're reputable.

Keep us updated on how things go!!
Bookmark and Share
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:07:20 AM »
I am getting a colonoscopy on Tuesday, after about 6 months of worrying about colon cancer. I went to my GP for a physical, told him of my fears, and he suggested the colonoscopy to put my mind at rest. Frankly, I am not worried at all about what you are - unclean instruments, etc., but am totally freaking out about the procedure. I am so worried about what they'll find (I really don't have any symptoms of cc, except some discomfort around my hip, which I think is muscular). I have worked myself into an absolute panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 08:41:25 AM »
For some of us, facing our fears is a huge step.  Congrats on being able to put one foot in front of the other and making an appointment to have this done.

The only plus side about the incident in Nevada is that more precautions are being taken to make sure something like that doesn't happen somewhere else. 

Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share
Some day the mother ship will arrive and take my HA back to Mars where it belongs.

Offline k2626

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:38:16 PM »
You will be FINE. I had a partial one done (awake) it was over and done with in 5 min. These are professionals you are dealing with, they certainly dont want a law suit by using unsanitary instruments-so dont worry!

I actually just got an HIV test (figured why not since I am getting loads of other tests)---it has been a fear of mine too. But you know what, HIV is a totally livable disease now which as far as medicine has come!

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »
I have had 4 colonoscopies and they all turned out fine. The risk of perforation is extremely low, especially when performed by
an experienced GI physician or colon rectal surgeon. The sedation they use is mild and actually wakes you up in a timely manner
with little side affects. I would not be concered at all.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline bigguy8979

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 01:45:29 AM »
Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I can talk to the doctor to ease my concerns about the procedure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noahs Mom

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »
It's okay to be scared... even people with out HA get nervous about a colonoscopy.  My sister in law has to have one every year (her mother had Colon Cancer), and she always gets a bit nervous.  I think she mainly gets worried about the Poop Juice you have to drink before having it done... ha ha.

Please let us know what your Dr says!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 01:50:04 PM »
lmao ***** Poop Juice
Bookmark and Share
Some day the mother ship will arrive and take my HA back to Mars where it belongs.

Offline bigguy8979

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »
Well, I went to the gastroenterologist, and I told him about my concerns. He attributed it to probably being IBS, but he wants me to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy next Monday. I am pretty anxious about this procedure. I am really afraid of them not properly disinfecting the equipment or reusing equipment and giving me Hepatitis C because I messed up and I read about incidents on google where people were put at risk for infection or were infected. I brought up my concerns with the doctor and he told me they were very strict about disinfecting equipment. Unfortunately, I am still worried. I almost want to back out of it and not even have a colonoscopy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noahs Mom

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:52:28 AM »
I know that you have the strength to do it... To move past this fear, get the tests, and sleep a little better at night.
It's what people with HA have to do... face the fear, and accept the outcome -- which is almost always positive.
This week you're going to fight the Anxiety monster within, and next Monday you're going to face one of your
biggest fears.  And we'll all be here to help you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 02:12:18 PM »
Bigguy, Well, I had my colonoscopy this morning - let me tell you, I was as nervous as I could be. I'd had a bad time with the prep, felt awful, and was very worried. While we were waiting to be called in at the surgical center, I almost just left. Thank God I didn't! The colonoscopy itself was a breeze! Mine took all of 11 minutes. I was drugged up, and went from telling the GI doctor about how scared I was to looking at my husband. Nothing wrong, no polyps or worse - need another in 5 years due to family history. Just woke up from a 3 hour nap and called my husband to make sure I'd actually had it. I am so glad it is over. You will be too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: