Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: trouble with breathing and feeling so shakey inside  (Read 11779 times)

Offline angeliz

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
trouble with breathing and feeling so shakey inside
« on: October 08, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
I dont know what is going on, but I cant shake this feeling of shortness of breath and when I sit still I feel every nerve inside me is on vibrate. You cant see me shake most of the time, but my insides feel like they are soooo tense and just on a low vibrate and I feel like I cant breathe and I catch myself holding my breath. Its KINDA like when you are low are sugar or something...how many of you have this??? I cant get it to stop and its scaring me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
Re: trouble with breathing and feeling so shakey inside
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »
Yep, you're experiencing my highest levels of anxiety.  This falls right before a full blown panic attack.  The more jittery I get the more I think about it....and the level just keeps going up and up.  Right now you're concentrating on your breathing too much.  You're going to cause yourself to hyperventalate which is then really going to scare the heck out of you.  Watch the clock and try holding your breath, see how long you can hold it without a sense of panic setting in....then try to beat that time....do this for a couple a minutes and then see how you feel. 

Bless your heart, I know exactly how you feel right now.
Bookmark and Share
Some day the mother ship will arrive and take my HA back to Mars where it belongs.

Offline angeliz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 01:57:55 PM »
I dont understand WHAT is casusing it???? Im trying so hard to relax and not think about any negative stuff and it wont go away. Ive been feeling this for a few days....do you think its from my stress of worrying so much about a Neurological conditon???  I just feel so short of breath its scary. My chest is so tight, but it doesnt hurt. I feel I have to keep taking deep breaths to keep breathing....is that how you feel?
Bookmark and Share

Offline crystalhanzelka

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:58:18 PM »
I feel like this most of the time.  I have learned to not worry about my breathing (although sometimes I worry anyway).  The shakiness sucks.  But everyone keeps telling me that it is just anxiety.  Frustrating I know.  I am tired of hearing that....  >:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline angeliz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 02:00:40 PM »
My shakiness has gone on for days at a time such as now....Do you guys have this? Like Non-Stop? (tear)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »
This has been the most confusing part of anxiety for me.  Even when I'm not thinking about it....I'm thinking about it.  My main thoughts may not be about whatever symptom I'm experiencing, but my "backburner" thoughts are.

And yes, when I'm having a full blown panic attack I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack.  Be prepared to have your chest hurt a little when you finally calm down.  Don't be like me and think it's something cardio....it's all the chest muscles tightened up right now because of the anxious state you're in.  They're going to be sore when this is over.
Bookmark and Share
Some day the mother ship will arrive and take my HA back to Mars where it belongs.

Offline ~Maria~

• doorless room, me and the voice of the past.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »
i personal have nick named this kind of attack 'rattling the cage' cos it feels like something is rattling my rib cage and everything inside it. i learnt this great trick that works sometimes..... when i can really concentrate. here goes

sit up right on a chair, knees bent, feet flat on the floor, hands resting on thighs and close your eyes.

then slowly begin to tighten every muscle in your body, start with your toes, feet, legs, thighs, arms, hands, shoulders, stomach, eyes, lips, everything and then once its all tight hold it for a slow count to ten.

then slowly start to let go of each muscle again 1 at a time, (i usually work backwards) take a breath in and out with each body part you release (don't take a deep breath just an easy one) i like to finish with my shoulders and feel what it feels like to be completely relaxed even if its just 4 a minuet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline angeliz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:14:44 AM »
Have any of you went for days at a time that all day long you feel you cant breathe normally??
I feel so short of breath, a tightness in my chest AND in my upper stomach...I feel like someone has their hands around my throat.

I had this about 3 weeks ago real bad and my son took me to the ER cause I had just had surgery and they were concerned about a blood clot. They did blood test and did a test to check for blood clot. They also did a blood gas test OUCH! It all was good!
I left and did much better on my breathing. Its ALMOST Like I calmed down once I was at the ER.
The here bout 2 weeks later, I started the difficutly in breathing again, along with the internal shakiness. No pain, just that tight suffocating feeling. It has been going on again for about a week or longer EVERY DAY.

Another thing....I have noticed that if I am like doing something like ok, lets say STANDING still. I bend over to tie my shoe or pick something up, when I raise back up, my heart will start racing! What do you guys think>

I had an Echocardigram done in Sept(?) maybe August and it showed all ok....

thanks guys/girls

IM 44F and not over weight, dont smoke or drink/ try to stay away from caffine cause I do have tachycardia and pvcs.

Bookmark and Share

Offline angela52884

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »
yes! I know exactly how you feel! That feeling makes me feel soooo uncomfortable! Do you feel kind of weak too? It feels like you do when you go without eating for a long period of time, the thing that scares me with it also, is that usually I feel like I am not anxious when it happens. Is it possible that our bodies are anxious even though our mind doesnt seem to be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline angeliz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:57 AM »
they say you can have anxiety when you DONT Feel anxious, but that sounds funny doesnt it?????
But I have been like this for days! Like over a week. Tightness in chest and upper abdomen....kinda nausea....and just feel like my chest has something setting on it and I cant get my breath. I have to what I feel MAKE MYSELF breathe. Is this you????? Have you had it for days at a time????
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Rec's: 63
  • Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »
yes! I know exactly how you feel! That feeling makes me feel soooo uncomfortable! Do you feel kind of weak too? It feels like you do when you go without eating for a long period of time, the thing that scares me with it also, is that usually I feel like I am not anxious when it happens. Is it possible that our bodies are anxious even though our mind doesnt seem to be?

you think..... :winking0008:

The problem is that anxiety is always presented to us as a mental issue and we therefore see it solely as only something that goes on within our minds i.e our minds are anxious.  The bottom line is that anxiety causes a plethora of real physical sensations/symptoms....these sensations/symptoms are exactly the same as what we would experience should we be suffering from an organic illness but the CRUCIAL difference and the one which we struggle to recognise is that the physical sensations/symptoms of anxiety are originating from a mental rather than an organic cause.

One of the biggest keys to accepting the physical effects of anxiety is by divorcing the concepts of mental and physical anxiety.  Once anxiety has become enough of a problem for us to become physical no amount of 'chilling out and relaxing' will stop the physical sensations straight away....physical anxiety is a sign that our minds/bodies and nervous systems are stressed and rebelling and they will take as long as necessary to reset themselves, how we understand, respond to and deal with this fact is the very determining factor as to how long our recovery will take.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ben

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 11:09:56 AM »
Posted this earlier in the wrong thread! :) opps

I went through about 2 weeks of exactly what you're describing almost two months ago now. Every morning i'd wake up and it was like an electrical charge was coursing through me, every cell was buzzing, all my movements felt shaky and tremor like. It was terrible. I started Lexapro and soon after things calmed down.
I've always had the occasional muscle twitch but during and since this period I've had constant twitching in my calves (when they're limp and at rest) and frequent twitches everywhere else. It's scary but either every second person on this site (and others like it) have a terrible disease or this is all an aspect of how our bodies respond to anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline angeliz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 11:18:37 AM »
Id give anything to be able to change my thought process to where I dont fear every time I have a pain or a flutter or a cold that its some dreadful disease. It as you know makes life miserable. I want to enjoy life sooooooooooooooo much! Be happy without fear and without being sick. I heard someone mention Clair Weaks(?) or what ever her name is that preaches on anxiety is supose to be really good. Has anyone ordered them and found them helpful that much??
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Rec's: 63
  • Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
Id give anything to be able to change my thought process to where I dont fear every time I have a pain or a flutter or a cold that its some dreadful disease. It as you know makes life miserable. I want to enjoy life sooooooooooooooo much! Be happy without fear and without being sick. I heard someone mention Clair Weaks(?) or what ever her name is that preaches on anxiety is supose to be really good. Has anyone ordered them and found them helpful that much??

Whilst I found a lot of useful information in the Claire Weekes books they are actually a bit dated now and also tend to concentrate on the ‘traditional’ view of anxiety i.e mental angst/anxiety and panic attacks and heart palpitations etc.

From my experience and from reading the fears of people on forums like this one of the main problems is when anxiety becomes what it is not widely perceived as, that is a physical illness. Much against the anti Google advice, I did find an awful lot of really good and useful stuff online….the trick is to think about what you are searching for and start from the correct point….I Googled keywords such as anxiety/physical anxiety/somatisation/nervous exhaustion etc etc and I found a lot of stuff that helped me a build up a pretty good picture as to what anxiety is and how it can effect you physically (which, by the way, is any way it likes and usually in the way it gets the desired response…ie, more fear!)  Knowledge really is power, not knowledge of the weird and wonderful disease we are convinced we have but rather knowledge of anxiety.  I think when most people present to the GP with all the mad symptoms exploding everywhere they are told it is ‘just anxiety’ and sent on their way as the GP thinks that this is going to reassure us.  The problem is that the sensations are so real and powerful that this explanation just does not make sense….if only GP’s would actually spend some time explaining how the mind effects the body and how the mental can interact with the physical and then just maybe we would feel somewhat more empowered and trusting of the diagnosis.

The bottom line is that the information is out there that shows that the mind can generate EVERYTHING that anyone here has and is fearful of.  This does not guarantee that this means we are suffering from ‘just anxiety’ this is down to the GP to diagnose and for us to come to accept but once you realise just how powerful and at the same time how misled the mind is it does make all the madness easier to understand and start to believe.
Bookmark and Share

Offline angeliz

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 12:06:43 PM »
well said. So how many of us have went to the ER or the Dr and being having all these symptoms going on and then they run a test or two while were there and tell us were "ok" and then the symptoms go away or at least drop drastically??? Count me in on that one!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: