Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this my OCD thoughts or something else?  (Read 632 times)

Offline maginno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this my OCD thoughts or something else?
« on: September 05, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
So I'm slowly getting things under control.  ADHD/GAD, but my OCD thoughts have gotten worse.  I was on citalopram 40mg, but it wasn't really helping the OCD thoughts and no amount of therapy was helping.  So I asked pdoc to try a new med.  We settled on Zoloft for now.  started at 50mg and went down to 20mg citalopram.

I should be off the citalopram by now as it's been a week, but I'm scared.  My thoughts haven't gotten any better (still very disturbing) and now I am seeing words when I close my eyes while I am having these thoughts.  Words that basically highlight the theme of my thoughts (death, kill, hurt, pain etc).  Little purple bubble type words that appear and float away.  This is very upsetting as I have no desire to act on these thoughts or images.

The only ways I can get them to subside a bit is to go wash my face or pick at my nails and cuticles (usually until they bleed)

I'm on 80mg strattera, 50mg zoloft (with 20mg citalopram still) and 1mg guanfacine.  It's only been a week since I started zoloft and I'm toughing it out.  Any opinions?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this my OCD thoughts or something else?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
To see such things, to me, is more than OCD. You should not be seeing these things at all. It could be a side effect of some of the medication you are on. Mixtures of medication, at times, don't work. It is something I would mention to my doctor. More so because of the nature of the words. I know some forms of medication can have such things as a side effect. This is certainly one for your doctor. Just to rule out a few things. And make sure it is not the medication reactions.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline maginno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply. 

I have never heard of a side effect like this and these words have increased in frequency as my anxiety and thoughts have gotten worse.  I am just not sure if this is an issue with coming off citalopram and ramping up zoloft.

I do plan on calling doc next week

Bookmark and Share

Offline wheelie19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:42:50 PM »
I don't feel like that's more than OCD. It's a form of intrusive thoughts.   Give the Zoloft some time to work.   I am on it and it has helped huge huge time with anxiety and intrusive thoughts, but it took about three weeks.  Good luck to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline maginno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:39:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to give it another week before I call doctor.   I go 6 weeks between appt's right now.  So far no strategy I'm using is helping except going and washing my face and yes I know it's leading to a compulsion, but it helps right now.  I used to just close my eyes when I had the thoughts, but as I stated now I'm seeing words relating to the thoughts when I close my eyes. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline maginno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »
Started having weird feelings last night...
Was walking dogs to try to relax and it felt like I was in a movie.  Kind of like the road didn't have a feeling and the outside world didn't sound right.  I don't know how to explain it, but I didn't feel like I was actually walking my dogs and I didn't seem to control my hands or at least not get feedback from them.  kind of like playing a video game from third person perspective. 

I am not sure what this is called, but it's more of an anxiety thing than just OCD at this point. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline maginno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:44:20 AM »
Talked with Dr.  He added Seroquel 100mg to my regime until we can meet again in 3 weeks.  6 weeks between visits is kind of tough for me and I hate calling yesterday cause I feel helpless.

Seroquel made me feel drunk today waking up.  Still no relief from issues, but was able to sleep except my normal 3am wake up for an hour and go back to sleep.  Have a slight headache that won't quit today either.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wheelie19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:26:33 AM »
While adjusting to the Sertraline (Zoloft) you should be seeing your doctor on a regular basis (like every 2 weeks max). You feel detached kind of, hey? Trust me, it gets better! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline maginno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »
Yeah, I'm not liking this 6 weeks between visits thing.  I'm going to see a another doctor next week, get another opinion on things. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline maginno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 08:25:28 AM »
Finally tried the seroquel.  Talk about a deep sleep.  Feel almost sleep drunk when I wake up.   Takes me 2 hours or so to get the fog lifted after getting up.  Can't continue taking this everyday if this occurs, but I am toughing it out.  I do notice  that about an hour after taking it my issues subside quickly, but then I kind of zone out and for a good part of the day the next morning I feel like Im just going through the motions with no personality.

Maybe this is something I need, but I can't tolerate these effects.  I'm wondering if abilify would be right for me as an add-on to citalopram.  Or maybe going right to lexapro.  Not sure what max dosage of lexapro however.  I mean if 20mg = 40mg of citalopram, then what's the point if I can't go higher on lex. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: