Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Neuro exam  (Read 219 times)

Offline Chloe1990

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Neuro exam
« on: September 05, 2014, 04:42:13 AM »
Can someone tell me what is involved with a neuro exam? As most of you know I've been struggling with this fear of BT for some while. My symptoms are: sore neck, tingling in mainly my left hand. Minor headaches. Sometimes feeling my limbs are all over the place, a feeling of lightheadedness/dazed constantly.
Doctor says anxiety but hopping on one leg and touching my finger to my nose doesn't sound like a proper exam. Any thoughts please?
Bookmark and Share

Offline LASD

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Neuro exam
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 05:48:22 AM »
Hey Chloe,

I've had 7 neuro exams preformed by 6 different neurologists, so I'm pretty qualified to give a response here.

Most start out by gathering your family history. They'll ask textbook questions like any history of strokes or bt, then go on to more specifics like MS or the sorts. After that, they gather your current symptoms, and ask questions pertaining to those. After they have gathered the necessary information, then they'll proceed to the clinical.

Almost all the clinical's I had were virtually the same.

First, they'll test your strength. They'll have you spread your fingers apart, and then they'll try to push them in. They'll have you put your elbows up to the side, and they'll try to push them down. They'll have you form the 'o.k' sign and try to pull your fingers apart. They'll force down on your shin, and tell you to push them off. After the strength is checked, they'll move on to something like coordination.

For coordination, they have you perform a couple of exercises. They'll have you tap your nose, then touch their finger in varying places in space. They'll then have you tap your forefinger to your thumb, and see if the rate of tapping is the same for both hands. Then they'll have you place your hands on a solid surface and flip flop them back and forth, kind of looking for the same thing.

For reflexes, they look for hyperreflexia. They check the knees, elbows and ankle areas, and sometimes forearms. They also perform the babinski test in which they scrape the bottom of the foot, looking for the ways in which the toes curl. If they curl up, its a sign of a lesion.

They test sensory nerves by using a vibrating tuning fork, and usually placing it at the feet. They tell you to let them know how long you feel the vibration and to let them know when you no longer feel it. They do this for both feet. They also test your sense of feel as they'll prod you with a sharp to see if you can sense the pricks, and then they'll also run a cold metal along your skin to see if you can pick that up as well.

Then they usually like to check the back of the eyes and look for any ware or tare on the optic nerve (this is usually done for MS). They'll have you follow their finger with your eyes (looking for nystagmus).

Finally, they test things like balance, and sometimes they like to look at your gait, and they'll have you walk down the hall or what not.

Every neuro has his or her own style, but for the most part, they follow the outline shown above, especially if you're being worked up for MS   
Bookmark and Share

Online Nicoline

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:50:39 AM »
When i went to the neuro he did many tests but also the nose touching one with my eyes closed. He tested if my reflexes were ok and he tested my eyes.
For as much i can remember (everything that happend in that crazy anxiety period is a blurr) the test lasted for half an hour i guess.

I think neuro's can figuere out whats wrong with only that one test and if they think there is someting is wrong they will order more tests, or maybe only to ease your mind!. They went to school for 10 years! So if they tell you its anxiety, its anxiety. There are sooooo many people with real diseases and they got dx with whatever. There is no way that someting is up with you, only that your nerves and muscles are in overdrive!

I have/had many many craaaaaaazy sensations and symptoms. I was dryving myself crazy with diseases i thought i had. And every test was negative. At one moment i could not even think of another disease because i had have everyone of them.

Then i went to a natural docter who did Bioresonance therapy. Its very interesting! He measured my muscles, nerves, everything. And when he said i was 100% OK, i could calm down and work on my anxiety levels.
Im not there yet but i'm trying and doing beter.

(Sorry for my spelling, i'm from Holland)

Hope you feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chloe1990

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:25:23 AM »
Thanks for the informative post. I've noticed my blood pressure is quite low at the moment not sure if it's contributing to the lightheadedness. I'm convinced something is going on up there. Inside my ears I can hear whooshing as well, this lightheadedness is frightning
Bookmark and Share

Offline ckelley116

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:19:40 AM »
Hi Chloe - I just had a neuro exam on Wednesday (passed with flying colors - woohoo!) and it was very simple. I had to follow the doctor's finger with my eyes, side to side then up and down. She pressed on each thigh and told me to resist (i.e., try pushing up as she was pushing down) then did the same with my hands. She gave me both her hands and told me to squeeze her fingers. I also had to stick out my tongue (new one on me). She didn't have me close my eyes and touch my nose or try to walk in a straight line toe-to-heel like I've seen others mention, but I kind of sheepishly told her that I'd been doing all of that on my own for a few weeks, always hit my nose and never stumbled out of line, and she seemed satisfied with that and the results of the little tests she gave me. It was very easy, very quick, and she was confident that there was nothing wrong with me other than stress and allergies.
Bookmark and Share
"Fate only takes you so far. Once you're there, it's up to you to make it happen."

Offline Chloe1990

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:31:11 AM »
Hi ckelley what were your symptoms? This buzzing tingling sensation and lightheadedness is really worrying me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ckelley116

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 10:31:02 AM »
I've got some serious off-and-on (more on than off) head pressure, like someone stuck a balloon inside my skull and pumped it full of air. It moves around from the crown of my head to my temples to my forehead, but is most often at the crown. I get perceived weakness in my left leg sometimes, much of the time I feel like my vision takes a second to catch up with the movement of my eyeballs, and I get that dizzy, "swimmy" feeling in my head for no reason at all - I don't even have to move. Sometimes when I shake my head like I'm saying "no" it feels like my brain rolls back and forth for a few seconds before settling back into position. And sometimes I feel like I'm going to fall over. I never do, and don't even have to grab a chair or a wall or something to steady myself, but it feels like I should have to. And I occasionally get pressure in my ears, and brain fog. The brain fog really bothers me because I love reading and I'm a writer and when it happens I can't concentrate on words. But yeah...all of that, and doc says no brain tumor. So I suspect you, too, are completely fine  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share
"Fate only takes you so far. Once you're there, it's up to you to make it happen."

Tags: