Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ALS Worry|ALS Ice bucket challenge  (Read 378 times)

Offline anxietysucks123

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS Worry|ALS Ice bucket challenge
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:52:08 PM »
Okay guys please don't call me dumb. So recently, thousands of people have been doing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and I was wondering what it was and I searched videos on it and it said that the people start losing control of their nerves or something like that. I recently have been dropping everything lately and have been clumsy. Whenever I drop something, my mind goes immediately to the thought if 'when you have ALS you lose control' and I start having anxiety and cannot function. Right now as I'm typing I feel really tense and I'm twitching a little. Please reply :( :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS Worry|ALS Ice bucket challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 12:03:12 AM »
You don't have ALS. You'd have more symptoms that twitching and being clumsy.

If a stadium were filled with 100,000 people only 2 people in that entire stadium would be diagnosed with it.
You're fine and you are not sick.
Bookmark and Share

Online bearsfb66

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »
STOP SEARCHING AND GOOGLING!!!!!! ALS is VERY VERY VERY RARE and let me save you several months of worry and several doctor appointments. Because this is how you next several months will be you will continue to search ALS on google and see how scary and horrible the disease is. You will start doing strength tests and begin to twitch everywhere. You will see a doctor who will tell you that you are fine and need to get your anxiety under control. You will feel better for about a week when you notice a new twitch, perceived muscle weakness, and possible muscle atrophy. You will worry again and see your doctor who will now give you a referral to a neurologist. Your neuro will do a neurological exam and tell you that you are fine just anxious, but can have you do an EMG for reassurance. You elect for anEMG and your EMG will come back clean but you will say they didn't place the needle in the right muscle and they possibly missed it in you. Maybe another EMG or several other neurologist later you will finally say I don't have ALS. You now have wasted 6 months to 18 months of your life on worry of a disease that only happen in 2 out of 100,000 people. With a media age of people in their 50s.  I know what you are going through because I too went through it. I also missed seeing my daughter in a major part of her 3 and 4 year of age. We all have a common disease called ANXIETY!!! Welcome to the club!
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:46:43 AM »
I've seen this on anxiety/HA boards for some time. Not just ALS but with every disease under the sun. A well known person died suddenly in the UK and there were posts about sudden death syndrome. If this was the MS challenge or the Cervical Cancer challenge, HA sufferers would be posting about that. It's one of the quirky things about HA. Just recently on another board, the node/lymphoma posts were so rampant it actually became a joke among the members!

You don't have ALS.... I'd bet my house on it ;)

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »
you don't have ALS

you have "I've heard about this disease and researched it" anxiety disorder.   As fishmanpa said---if it was cervical cancer or MS or lung cancer or breast cancer.....   you would be thinking you had that. this is the nature of anxiety disorders.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline filopastry

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 11:43:21 AM »
The symptoms you describe are pretty much all caused by anxiety as well.

In fact I have had pretty much the same things a few months ago, and yes I am embarrassed to admit that my mind also wandered to ALS for a while.

But you really just need to remind yourself, when you get symptoms like this which do you think is the more likely cause for them, ALS a phenomenally rare disease, which would generally present with lots of other noticeable symptoms alongside it, or alternatively Anxiety a very common illness which can cause these symptoms and you know you already have it?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: