Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: First post  (Read 491 times)

Offline Neochiq

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
First post
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:30:08 PM »
Hi I'm Jennie and I have horrible health anxiety (hiiiii Jennie). I like to joke about it but the fact is I feel utterly alone most days. I'm 32, married, have a 2.5 year old... But sometimes I feel empty. I feel guilty for having my 'episodes' it I just can't help it. My husband tries to support me but he doesn't understand how debilitating it can get...how much my health fears consume me. I've googled my symptoms for hours before and not even realized!

Anyhow- what brings me here today (and I read the sticky on it) is that my newest thing is that I'm convinced I have MS.

FOr the last year I've been experiencing on and off tinglings/buzzing/numbness/weakness/twitching/spasms...in my extremities. Constant fatigue. Foggy thinking, shock sensations, etc, you get the drift.  I had blood work and a back xray. Xray was clear and blood work showed normal-low range b12.

(Note had a brain MRI in January of 2011 for thinking I had a brain tumor and I didn't) but not sure if MS would have shown up if I had t had symptoms yet.

Anyhow- my symptoms this time have seemed to coincide with a very stressful point in my life so it would make sense for it to be anxiety but I can't convince myself of this...

Can anxiety cause twitching for days? Tingling? Etc. it's been about 4 days now...

Any encouraging words? I know you all cannot diagnose me,..but maybe help me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ckelley116

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Re: First post
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
It TOTALLY can. My symptoms (head pressure, vision seeming "off" although I can't specifically describe how it's off, perceived weakness in my limbs, dizziness) have been going on since July 25. Not constantly, but certainly more often than not and in varying degrees of intensity. I just went to the doctor on Wednesday, fearing I had a brain tumor, and you know what she told me? It's anxiety.

I don't know if you've seen any posts by Sixpack yet, but her signature line is great. What it comes down to is this - anxiety symptoms last as long as your anxiety lasts, and then some. They will only start to subside once your mind has been - and remained - calm for a while. It really stinks, but it's the truth. If you've been to a doctor and expressed your concerns about MS, and they didn't think there was any reason to send you for an MRI, you can relax. You're okay. :bigsmile:

PS. I've been through the MS thing myself. Not for me personally, but my husband. He started having numbness and occasional blind spots a little over a year ago. I became convinced he had MS and forced him to go to a doctor. He passed his neuro test and as his symptoms haven't worsened and he hasn't developed any new ones, I'm trying to let the fear go. I'm about 90% of the way there.  You can do it too...health anxiety is horrible. It takes work to overcome it. But it CAN be overcome! There are a lot of great people here sharing lots of great advice and resources. You're in the right place!
Bookmark and Share
"Fate only takes you so far. Once you're there, it's up to you to make it happen."

Offline Neochiq

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
I think what I'm struggling with currently is the fact that it's been going on for days now (this 'attack') and I feel like if it was anxiety it would have gone away already :(

I hate this. I lose days of my life to these fears. But there is always that part of me that thinks 'well there is no other explanation other than cancer or ms (insert other horrible applicable illness)... Like these symptoms are real so why don't people think it could be ms you know?

I've had health anxiety for a long time but after my son was born it got a lot worse
Bookmark and Share

Offline ckelley116

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »
I think what I'm struggling with currently is the fact that it's been going on for days now (this 'attack') and I feel like if it was anxiety it would have gone away already :(

You would think, but it turns out that's not the way it happens. My first "attack" lasted 6 days. Then I had two pretty good days. Then I had one bad day. Then a solid week of perfect days. Then five horrible days. And so on. I know how scary it is and how hard it is to believe that your own mind is making you feel what you feel. But that's what it is.

Just my two cents...there are people here who have unfortunately been suffering far longer than I and probably have some better advice to help you, but just know you're not alone!
Bookmark and Share
"Fate only takes you so far. Once you're there, it's up to you to make it happen."

Offline Neochiq

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:43:01 AM »
Right after my son as born I had the baby blues bad for 2 weeks...it stemmed from the doctors basically making me think I was going to have a stroke. So I spent 2 weeks waiting for my imminent death by stroke.

Since then it has gone from thinking I was going to have a stroke to cirrhosis, to colon cancer, endometrial cancer, ovarian cancer, thyroid cancer, stomach cancer...etc. now I'm convinced I have ms....and these symptoms are sooooo consistent with the list of ms symptoms. Also- the symptoms come and go... Which worries me most!

I also keep getting so tired! Like I'm tired right now and I just got up 2 hours ago! I woke up a couple times last night (my 2.5 year old sleeps with us) so maybe that's why I'm tired? I don't know
Bookmark and Share

Offline filopastry

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
Anxiety itself can make you feel very tired, when I first got anxiety many years ago I was exhausted more days than not for months on end.

With regards to how long physical anxiety symptoms can last it does seem to vary significantly, I used to get flare ups of anxiety every few years which consisted of getting one physical symptom for a week or so until it stopped bothering me and then moving onto the next symptom and following the same cycle.

Recently unfortunately I have been getting symptoms which hang around for a month or so before moving onto the next one, which is probably a fair indication that I am letting them stress me out more than they used to, my anxiety over the last year has probably been the worst its been since my original bout, still I can't really complain as I had a lot of years with no ill effects from it at all and that was without medication.

There is no problem with doing some reasonable medical consultation if you are concerned about something, but as for all of us if the doctor says it is nothing then accept that, it make your life an awful lot easier in the long run, and you might find it frustrating but with that attitude and patience you can very much get on top of anxiety.

Just don't necessarily accept immediate results and convince yourself it must be something else when you don't feel dramatically better the next day.

Out of interest what was your B12 level, I had mine done recently, which I felt was properly low but my doctor was completely uninterested!

Good luck with everything anyway
Bookmark and Share

Offline Neochiq

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »
Unfortunately I went on a ms mom board and told them my symptoms etc... I also told them I have health anxiety and their answer was 'yes a lot of doctors will write your symptoms off as anxiety but it sounds like you need a neurologist because I suspect your symptoms are more than just anxiety'

Grrreeeeaaaaattttt  :( :( :(

Help!

I really feel like a diagnosis of ms would make sense given all the symptoms I have and the fact that it comes and goes. I'm at prime age. Ugh I'm freaking out
Bookmark and Share

Online ceh1354

• Rec's: 13
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 12:10:54 AM »
But see, the people on the support boards are at the other end of the spectrum. They are ultra aware of everything because they have already been diagnosed. You could go on there and say "my ear itches", and you'd find someone on there who says "Yeah, I had that too". I think, too, that some of them are feeling so bad about their diagnoses that it's a little bit of a misery loves company mentality. Not saying all of them, but some.

Anyone on here who has somewhat of a grip on his/her anxiety will say going on those support boards is almost as bad as googling symptoms. You can't un-read the stuff you've already read on there, but try not to go on those anymore. You're not helping yourself at all, in fact making things worse. :(
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline Neochiq

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:41:59 AM »
I knew it was a dumb thing to do because I mean...you go to a board where you KNOW people have had those symptoms of course they are going to say yes you could have it.

Ugh. I feel like it's a big coincidence that my symptoms started when my husband started his week of overnights (I hate having to sleep alone) and also 2 days before our bankruptcy court date.

But OF COURSE stress can trigger ms...

Again I ask- can anxiety cause twitching muscles in the arms and legs, spasms, pins and needles, shock sensations, fatigue....etc
Bookmark and Share

Online ceh1354

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 12:58:27 AM »
Yes. But more often, much more often, stress triggers anxiety and all of its ugly symptoms. So, simple answer is yes to all.

Refer to the thread entitled "This list is a Lifesaver". Or you can just look up anxiety symptoms. That is only if you can restrict your googling to just anxiety symptoms! :laugh3:

Feel better.
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline Neochiq

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 01:06:08 AM »
I need one of those nanny computer things that keep me from restricted sites lol
Bookmark and Share

Online ceh1354

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 01:15:10 AM »
Get an IT person or just someone who knows what they are doing with computers and block websites or IP addresses. People on this board have done it before! :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 08:52:09 AM »
But see, the people on the support boards are at the other end of the spectrum. They are ultra aware of everything because they have already been diagnosed. You could go on there and say "my ear itches", and you'd find someone on there who says "Yeah, I had that too". I think, too, that some of them are feeling so bad about their diagnoses that it's a little bit of a misery loves company mentality. Not saying all of them, but some.

Anyone on here who has somewhat of a grip on his/her anxiety will say going on those support boards is almost as bad as googling symptoms. You can't un-read the stuff you've already read on there, but try not to go on those anymore. You're not helping yourself at all, in fact making things worse. :(

I want to make an observation about your post CEH... It was the Head and Neck cancer boards I belonged to (and still do) that led me to the anxiety boards. There would be posters coming on that would be scared to death about a swollen node or a perceived swollen node, sore throat, cough or mouth ulcer that would be freaking out about having oral cancer. Most would be young, far outside the optimal age of getting the disease.

Of course, we would all be reassuring and preach the mantra "It's not cancer until they say it's cancer". and recommend seeing their doctor or an ENT. We'd preach the rule of thumb. "If you have a node, area or lesion that doesn't resolve within 3-4 weeks see an ENT that's knows oral cancer".  Then, as they would continue to post, I would see the same pattern. They'd been to their GP several times. The GP fobbed it off to stress and anxiety or something totally benign like allergies or a common mouth ulcer. The poster wouldn't believe the doctor and then would have several tests, blood work, CT and MRIs, all negative, but they were sure it had to be cancer. Their symptoms just didn't add up to what we all experienced and it became clear that they had health anxiety. Eventually, we would suggest that and eventually the poster would move on. So I don't think it's the "misery loves company" on the disease forums. The last thing I want to see is a newbie on the cancer boards believe me! It's different on these boards. All the "Does anyone have this?" posts just feed the anxiety if you ask me. There are 100-1 posts that are symptom related as opposed to healing related.

Mind you, I have a bit of GAD, I call it "scanxiety" and have suffered some depression. It's understandable based on my experiences. I sought help and have managed quite well. The worst I get is a bit irritable and withdrawn come check up time as I do worry about my cancer returning. I get down sometimes due to the limitations the disease has caused in my life. The side effects of my treatment are extremely persistent and difficult at best to manage. I'm more aware of the side effects of my ordeals as opposed to being hyper aware of symptoms. To be honest, I had no real symptoms. I won't describe what they were because I know those with oral cancer fears will adopt them and say "I have that! OMG!" ;)

I ended up checking out the anxiety boards and was fascinated by it. I found post after post, pages of them that were nearly identical to the posts that would come up on the cancer boards. So I came to these boards, hoping to help if I could. Offer a real life perspective to all those node and cancer fears. Offer a real life perspective to heart issues and fears. I've been there and live it every day.

I can tell you in all the 1000's of posts I've read and/or responded to, there has been only one person that actually had a serious illness. To my surprise, she handled it beautifully and is dealing with it head on and doing well. Her anxiety surprisingly has taken a back seat and she's actually feeling better than she ever has despite her illness. She'll be fine but she has a tough road to travel for a while. The boards also offered some valuable information that's helped me deal with my own dragons. I downloaded and use a great CBT course that helps when I start feeling down or irritable. It's actually very useful real life advice that works in a variety of situations. It's helped me learn and understand my daughter's anxiety and depression and helped me help her.

If there's anything I'd like to see more of, it would be those that are on the healing path really help those that are struggling but it seems that part of the healing process from anxiety is to avoid these sites. It's understandable. I'm not on the cancer boards hardly at all anymore. It brings back too many bad memories and I'm trying to move on but if I can can pay it forward and help even one person move toward healing, it's a good thing :)

Positive thoughts

Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Neochiq

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 09:25:24 AM »
I don't think I have the strength to do that yet.... The googling doesn't do me any good but I just don't see myself stopping.

The twitching has gone down, not completely subsided.... But of course that just means (to me) that my ms flare up is going away.

I have a headache- which is of course the lesions beginning to heal... Sigh
Bookmark and Share

Offline Simplyme87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »
Hi Jennie,

I feel exactly the same way. I spent many hours a day googling my symptoms..I feel bad Bc I could've spend time with my son but I can get so engrossed in googling ..
We do have the same symptoms though...
Hang in there!

Hi I'm Jennie and I have horrible health anxiety (hiiiii Jennie). I like to joke about it but the fact is I feel utterly alone most days. I'm 32, married, have a 2.5 year old... But sometimes I feel empty. I feel guilty for having my 'episodes' it I just can't help it. My husband tries to support me but he doesn't understand how debilitating it can get...how much my health fears consume me. I've googled my symptoms for hours before and not even realized!

Anyhow- what brings me here today (and I read the sticky on it) is that my newest thing is that I'm convinced I have MS.

FOr the last year I've been experiencing on and off tinglings/buzzing/numbness/weakness/twitching/spasms...in my extremities. Constant fatigue. Foggy thinking, shock sensations, etc, you get the drift.  I had blood work and a back xray. Xray was clear and blood work showed normal-low range b12.

(Note had a brain MRI in January of 2011 for thinking I had a brain tumor and I didn't) but not sure if MS would have shown up if I had t had symptoms yet.

Anyhow- my symptoms this time have seemed to coincide with a very stressful point in my life so it would make sense for it to be anxiety but I can't convince myself of this...

Can anxiety cause twitching for days? Tingling? Etc. it's been about 4 days now...

Any encouraging words? I know you all cannot diagnose me,..but maybe help me?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: