Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone tried therapy?  (Read 116 times)

Offline Lalaland

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone tried therapy?
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
So I just went and saw my doctor and told her about my anxiousness and my fear of my strange memory problems.

She has given me a referral for a psychologist in the area and said she'd like me to try this before we consider medication. She said in my case she thinks it will be very beneficial.

Has anyone had any experience with this?  Does it usually help?

I was expecting this to be honest - I haven't had much lasting luck on my own. But with the stigma around mental health, it feels like I've failed to help myself.
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone tried therapy?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »
Hi Lala,

I don't suffer from HA but do have a bit of "scanxiety" come check up time (cancer survivor) as you might imagine. I have some minor depression as well (understandable based on health issues). I've gone to therapy several times in my life for various things and for various lengths of time. I found it to be incredibly beneficial. When a medical professional cannot find a physical cause for your symptoms, it only leaves one thing. the mind is the most powerful organ in our bodies. Just like the rest of our organs, it can become ill. It only makes sense that a mental health professional would be in order here. Anxiety is an illness too and it can be treated. You've not failed anything. If you had an infection, would you not visit the doctor and take medication? This is no different other than the type of doctor it is.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Zooey1023

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:11 PM »
I just started therapy this week to deal with my anxiety issues. The first session was great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lalaland

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:58:42 AM »
Thanks everyone

I think therapy might be helpful. I didn't realise how much of a mess I was.

My country offers a free online chat service for all citizens who may have anxiety or depression, so I contacted them to find out more about therapy etc and after the first question. Something along the lines of 'how are you going today?' I started crying without even knowing why.

Just knowing that I had gotten to the point where I couldn't help myself any more and have to talk to a professional made me cry.

Can my anxiety really be so much worse than even I myself realise? I've hidden my anxiety from everyone in real life for so long, to actually have to go and talk to someone about it seems like too much for me to cope with.

I know it sounds ridiculous and overly dramatic, but I thought I was doing so well for so long, and now I feel like I've gone backwards and have hit rock bottom.

Bookmark and Share

Offline fmfdoc

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:18:25 AM »
My Therapy sessions completely helped with my Anxiety. A lot better than taking medication
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
I've been in and out of counseling for years.  I just started back up this week.  I'm really going to try sticking with it this time.  I'm thinking it could be beneficial. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: