Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Doctor appt in a few hours... How do I raise mental health?  (Read 84 times)

Offline Lalaland

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Doctor appt in a few hours... How do I raise mental health?
« on: September 04, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
In another post I mentioned that my memory is worrying me.

But I have no idea how to raise it with my doctor.

Do I just say. 'I think I've been having problems with my memory? Thinking back on stuff - my memories seem to lack emotion. And the only memories I can instantly recall clearly are the ones where I've made a fool of myself etc'?

I can't figure out how to raise it that I've been stressed and anxious for as long as I remember and I can see myself leaving without saying anything if I can't figure out a way of vocalising it.

Can someone help?

How did you all raise your mental health issues with your GP?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doctor appt in a few hours... How do I raise mental health?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »
Write down what you want to say. Your doctor is a professional whatever worry you have they are obliged to listen to you seriously.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
I am direct.  I tend to cut through all of the rigamarole.   If I were you, I would simply tell the doc that you are experiencing this, that, and the other thing.  talk about how you've been stressed and anxious  for as long as you remember.   You can't expect a doc to do his/her job well if the doc doesn't have all of the information.

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »
Both the above suggestions are spot on. A doctor can't help unless you tell them what's going on. Perhaps print your post and bring that.

Good going for seeking help!

Positive thoughts

Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Lalaland

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I tend to be really bad at talking about myself in person, and I try to deflect the conversation away from myself ASAP...kind of dumb when I'm at the doctor to talk about MY issues. :dazed:

Fishmanpa - I actually considered writing a letter to my doctor and taking it with me. It's so much easier to express feelings in writing. That way too, I would know I hadn't forgotten anything. The problem is, everytime I start writing the letter though it goes waaaaaay overboard and becomes more to myself.

Thanks guys. I will just have to see how it goes I guess and hope that I remember to mention the issues that are important.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: