Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Wellbutrin Effect Time and Supplement Question  (Read 388 times)

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Wellbutrin Effect Time and Supplement Question
« on: September 04, 2014, 01:49:07 PM »
I was wondering, how long does it take Wellbutrin ***** 100mg to take effect. Like how the Prozac takes 4-8 weeks or whatever.

Also, is it OK to take Beta Alinine with my meds that I am currently on (Prozac, Wellbutrin, Propranolol & Xanax [As needed])? I am taking other supplements (Vitamin D, Fish Oil, protein powder, BCAAs, L-Citrulline) and they seem to be tolerated pretty well. I actually just kicked up my Fish Oil amount from 2g to 3g per day.

I'd be taking the Beta Alinine with L-Citrulline in orange juice as a pre-workout drink. I don't take any caffeine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Wellbutrin Effect Time and Supplement Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
I was wondering, how long does it take Wellbutrin ***** 100mg to take effect. Like how the Prozac takes 4-8 weeks or whatever.

As with all antidepressants it may take 3-12 weeks to kick-in.

Also, is it OK to take Beta Alinine with my meds that I am currently on (Prozac, Wellbutrin, Propranolol & Xanax [As needed])? I am taking other supplements (Vitamin D, Fish Oil, protein powder, BCAAs, L-Citrulline) and they seem to be tolerated pretty well. I actually just kicked up my Fish Oil amount from 2g to 3g per day.

I'm unaware of any interaction between Beta Alinine with L-Citrulline and your meds.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »
I figured. It seems hit or miss...

Is it normal to feel jittery at times? I feel like sometimes my jaw clenches a bit and I'll get facial movements that, as far as I know, aren't seen by others, but I feel it. At times I'll get dizzy and spacey... I am always afraid that I am going to have a seizure, even though I've never had one. I guess I assume that's what it feels like, though.

When I take the Propranolol it makes me sleepy... And the past few times I've taken it after a workout (Even an hour or more after) I get light-headed.

Tonight for the wedding (Ugh) I'll take a half of a Xanax instead. I don't even want to go, but it is for my family. It's weird, because at times I'll feel absolutely fine, like I can go back to the fire department and go out and see friends and whatnot, and other times I just come crashing down out of nowhere and feel like I want to be isolated and I get the anxiety symptoms. This morning I took my meds a bit late because something came up and I actually had a pretty severe flare up of symptoms, but I was able to get through it by myself... Which is good, I guess. But that moment of sheer panick came over me.

Rambling, sorry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
It's weird, because at times I'll feel absolutely fine, like I can go back to the fire department and go out and see friends and whatnot, and other times I just come crashing down out of nowhere and feel like I want to be isolated and I get the anxiety symptoms.

It is still early days. A roller-coaster effect as the antidepressants begin to kick-in is quite common, and usually a good sign.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
At the wedding now. Took a half of a .25mg of Xanax an hour ago, so it is keeping me leveled.

A drink or two would kill me? :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:59:06 PM »
Well my psych said one or two is ok. I'll take it slow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »
A drink or two would kill me? :/

Probably not. What kills with the alcohol-BZD combo is asphyxiation when asleep or unconscious as both depress the breathing reflex. You shouldn't come to any harm while awake, but I suggest you don't take any more Xanax.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:34:30 PM »
Oh, absolutely not. I brought one .25mg just in case, but I'd only take that if I had no alcohol.

Of course they water down the drinks. I'm on my third mixed drink in an 3 hours. Eating, drinking water too. I feel alright. And I'll be awake for awhile. I just don't plan on getting obliterated. Maybe a buzz and sustain it, but I know when I get really drunk on these meds I have a terrible hangover for days. Totally not worth it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »
Still pacing. I've had more than two or three but they are weak. I feel fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
Hi poppadr3w-  I am on Wellbutrin XL + Lexapro and I do feel jittery on some days.  It is unpleasant but to me it feels less like anxiety and more like too much coffee. When I feel like that, it's better if I have something like work to distract me or else I do start to focus on it. But I am only 4 weeks into adding in Wellbutrin so I feel there are still more start up effects to go through.

How did the wedding go? I will share with you that I have made the mistake of drinking too much while taking Klonopin. It's not that I ever do it intentionally but we all can get into social situations where everyone is drinking a lot and before I know it, I have had way too much.  If I mix alcohol and Klonopin, I lose my motor skills, get the hiccups, maybe blackout and generally make a complete ass out of myself.  (Yes that all happened once years ago, thank goodness someone helped me home! Totally embarrassing).  So just be very careful mixing Xanax with alcohol.  Currently if I am going into a social situation where I feel uncomfortable I make a conscious decision to take a Klonopin and no alcohol or no Klonopin and it's okay to have a few drinks. But not both, too risky for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
Hi poppadr3w-  I am on Wellbutrin XL + Lexapro and I do feel jittery on some days.  It is unpleasant but to me it feels less like anxiety and more like too much coffee. When I feel like that, it's better if I have something like work to distract me or else I do start to focus on it. But I am only 4 weeks into adding in Wellbutrin so I feel there are still more start up effects to go through.

How did the wedding go? I will share with you that I have made the mistake of drinking too much while taking Klonopin. It's not that I ever do it intentionally but we all can get into social situations where everyone is drinking a lot and before I know it, I have had way too much.  If I mix alcohol and Klonopin, I lose my motor skills, get the hiccups, maybe blackout and generally make a complete ass out of myself.  (Yes that all happened once years ago, thank goodness someone helped me home! Totally embarrassing).  So just be very careful mixing Xanax with alcohol.  Currently if I am going into a social situation where I feel uncomfortable I make a conscious decision to take a Klonopin and no alcohol or no Klonopin and it's okay to have a few drinks. But not both, too risky for me.

Sorry for the delay. Yeah, the jitters are weird. They feel like caffeine jitters without the energy at times, but it'll lead to anxiety at times. They have gotten better, but they tend to come and go. I'm on week... 5, yeah 5 as of today, so I still have room for improvement.

The wedding was quite fun, actually. I was highly anxious about going - I'll admit it. But I knew that I'd regret not going because a ton of my family was there. At first I was anxious walking through the door, then I was fine during the ceremony, but then came time for cocktail hour and mingling. I think I was more anxious about drinking alcohol than the whole situation, honestly. But I got a small rum and coke, as wedding venues will do, and picked away at food. Then my cousin asked me if I wanted another drink later in the hour, so I said alright since they were small.

In the actual room where the dance floor was we had a champagne toast (Half of a glass) and it was going OK. I decided to get another rum and coke, when my cousin (Drunk bridesmaid) ran over and told him to make it a double. No one really knows about my anxiety in the family. Well, a few people do, but I don't think she does. I shrugged and took it since I wasn't driving and I had been eating. Later another drunk person came over and asked me and my fiancee what we were drinking (We thought out of curiosity)... and he came back with drinks for us. That one actually spilled a bit (Not my fault!) so I sat for awhile and didn't drink and ate dinner and drank water. I probably had half of that drink, if even that.

As the night progressed further in I accompanied someone else to the bar and got another small rum and coke and stood near the bar to mingle with friends and family. I think I got another one after awhile of watching people dance and them doing the bouqet (I probably spelled that wrong) toss.At that point I think that was "drink" number... 5? 6 if you count the double one? But they were small, and I couldn't feel anything. I've heard that some people that take the Wellbutrin cannot feel themselves getting drunk at times, but when I first started taking it and was about 5-6 days in and we were playing drinking games I got drunk pretty fast. But at the wedding I kept my composure and became a bit more loose and buzzed, but not drunk. A cousin got us all shots of Jameson, which I slipped to a waiter while no one was looking since, well... It's Jameson and I don't want to fall into a drunk coma. I got another small mixed drink (7&7) and the cousin came back and got us more shots... But this time is was SoCo & Lime, which I took since it isn't as strong. I may have had one more drink after. I guess like... 7-8ish drinks total? The wedding was very long... It was 6 hours! Like I said, I didn't feel drunk (I didn't drive) and sexual function, in case you were wondering, was perfectly fine later. A little bit numb due to the alcohol, but we could do everything necessary... yeah.

The next day I felt alright. I didn't get that anxiety like I used to the next day, but I did sleep a good amount and was just groggy and tired.

Sunday night we went out for my fiancee's birthday to Dave & Busters. This was my first time in over a year to a bar-like place that is high energy. I didn't know what to expect, and I took a half of a Xanax like 8 hours prior, so I didn't feel it much. We got there and got right to the bar where her friends were waiting. I got a Rum and Coke, and guess what? It was just as small as the weddings! It was literally a few sips and it could've been done, but I sipped on it and we got appetizers. Then I got some girly drink because it looked delicious. Then a larger Rum and Coke (We sat there for over an hour waiting for others, eating, socializing, etc). Then we went to play games and I sipped on the large Rum and Coke as we walked around and played games, which is why I got the big one. We were staying there for quite awhile. I sat on that for awhile, carrying it around. Later on in the night I got a light draft beer. Honestly, I felt buzzed, not really drunk. A heavy buzz, but I'd say I was under the limit if I had a breathalyzer handy.

Unfortunately I had work the next morning (Monday), but I was fine. Sleepy, but fine.

I am still taking the Propranolol 10mg, but when I drank I didn't take it at night, but I still take it in the morning. I think it makes me very tired, so I am going to ask if I can cut down again or stop it altogether when I see him next week. The night of the wedding my fiancee and I walked to the gas station and got a 6 pack, which we barely touched (She had one and I had a half of a one). I smoke when I drink usually, so I had one cigarette, which sometimes gives me anxiety, but this time I felt fine. Otherwise, I don't smoke.

I didn't black out at all, obviously, but I have drank myself into a black out before. Well, kind of. I don't really remember the night, but I think I knew what I was doing at the time... kind of. Apparently we went to a club/bar and I talked to some girl I know, saw her the next day by complete accident. I didn't remember it at all and said, "Wow! I haven't seen you in so long!" and she was like, "I saw you last night...". Yeah. Apparently I acted like a fool, as did my other friends a bit, but at the time I wasn't drinking as much as they were and couldn't handle it as well.

I know Xanax has a shorter half-life than Klonopin, and when I take it I take HALF of the smallest prescibred amount. I try and make sure that I take it hours upon hours in advance, drink water and eat plenty of food.

My fiancee's actual birthday is coming up this weekend and she has plans to go to New York City and barhop and stuff. I don't know if I can do that... I am thinking about it. I WANT to go, but that I don't know if I can handle going to the city in itself, never mind going to random packed bars and such. It is up in the air, but she understands. :/

Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 09:37:28 AM »
Hi poppadr3w- thanks for sharing your story.  Sounds like you were completely fine at the wedding, sounds like fun actually!  Do you have social anxiety? Is that why you are worried to go out to bars? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »
Hi poppadr3w- thanks for sharing your story.  Sounds like you were completely fine at the wedding, sounds like fun actually!  Do you have social anxiety? Is that why you are worried to go out to bars?

Honestly, I did. It was good seeing my family which I don't see all of the time. I think what hurt me was the fear in itself of drinking, which caused anxiety because I thought I'd have a seizure or something.

Eh, yeah. After my initial panick attack about two years ago nothing has been the same. My anxiety started to manifest physically in different ways. Then out of nowhere earlier this year I developed extreme social anxiety. I couldn't go to the supermarket, I couldn't have a friend over, and work was hard (But necessary). I would start trembling at the supermarket and going into a panick attack when paying for groceries. Eventually it got better. Well, it is a work in progress.

Here is how I progressed:
*Having a single friend over; then
*Having a few friends over; then
*Having a large amount of friends over; then
*Going to a small gathering at a familiar residence; then
*Going to a medium-sized gathering at a familiar residence; then
*Going to a large-sized gathering at a familiar residence; then finally
*Going to a public place (This was the wedding and Dave & Busters).

I've been taking it in steps trying to have my mind and body adapt. It strikes me as crazy that not too long ago I couldn't even have a single friend over without getting anxiety. I've gotten much better, but I still have a ways to go. I want to get back into the fire department eventually, which I had to resign from due to the anxiety. I was apparently getting miniature panick attacks while on some emergency calls that we can, but I never knew what it was. I actually thought it was indigestion because a Gastroenterologist I went to said it is probably reflux and threw some meds at me (Which caused side effects and didn't help, so we kept trying different ones, all of which did nothing).

So, yeah, the city would be a huge step. I think that it may be too much of a jump for me to travel an hour or so away and go into crowded bars that I am not familiar with. I'd love to go, but... I don't know. I am thinking about it. It is just that it is so far away from home that if something were to happen then I don't know what I'd do. It's for reasons like this that I *HATE* anxiety, and people don't understand how intrusive it can be. I'm 26 and I want to be able to go out and drink socially with friends at cool bars in the city. I have in the past, but now I am second guessing myself. I think I'd rather try places around my home first -- places I used to frequent with friends. Places that I am somewhat familiar with that is a bit more packed and has a bit more stimulation. You know?

But I've always had some sort of social anxiety, especially with certain women. If I got to know a girl then I was fine, but breaking the ice or talking to one that I barely know? I'd clam up. It's like my mind went blank. If it were in a group setting then I'd be silent (I was quiet most of the time anyway, but I'd get even more quiet). But now on the meds I can talk to people a bit easier so far, which is nice. I have a bit more confidence, but I don't feel that I am where I want to be yet. I have more work to do, but I am proud with the progress I've made thus far.

My fiancee and I even went out this past weekend and were looking at wedding venues. While I had a bit of anxiety (Chest tightness, light-headed, dizzy), I made it through it. Earlier this year I would've not been able to walk into such a place. Heck, even last year when I was in the hospital for stomach pains from the anxiety and they ran every test under the Sun, I couldn't even sit in the car and go for a quick drive without feeling like I was going to vomit and/or pass out.

Slow and steady wins the race!

Sorry for the long post again. :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 12:04:26 AM »
Poppadr3w- thanks for telling your story! I relate and I am sure many other people on this forum do too. To me you are doing super well. You are exposing yourself to fearful situations a bit at a time and making progress. You will be able to go back to your job; you are on the right track.

Anxiety is a complete mind game, it's not "real" but for us it's as real as it gets. Trust me, I have had an alternative reality while my anxiety goes out of control.

You know what is great about social anxiety? No one ever notices. I have had it for years and people just thought I was aloof or 'bitchy'. People have told me, so I know for sure. But they never guessed anxiety. I would rather have people think I was aloof than how I really felt (anxious) any day.

You will be better and better. You are engaged, have a career you are moving towards - it will all be okay. And you are doing great so far. At 26, for me, I was still paralyzed with fear. You are way ahead!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:37:26 AM »
Poppadr3w- thanks for telling your story! I relate and I am sure many other people on this forum do too. To me you are doing super well. You are exposing yourself to fearful situations a bit at a time and making progress. You will be able to go back to your job; you are on the right track.

Anxiety is a complete mind game, it's not "real" but for us it's as real as it gets. Trust me, I have had an alternative reality while my anxiety goes out of control.

You know what is great about social anxiety? No one ever notices. I have had it for years and people just thought I was aloof or 'bitchy'. People have told me, so I know for sure. But they never guessed anxiety. I would rather have people think I was aloof than how I really felt (anxious) any day.

You will be better and better. You are engaged, have a career you are moving towards - it will all be okay. And you are doing great so far. At 26, for me, I was still paralyzed with fear. You are way ahead!  :happy0151:

No problem! I feel like I can vent here and share my story(ies) to the best of my ability since I don't want to tell too many people that I know personally. Only a handful of people know (Parents, Sister, Fiancee, a close friend or two), and I don't want to start spreading the fact that I have anxiety since then everyone knowing may make me more anxious. I am doing well, but every day is a battle. Some days I am great, some days I am good, and some days -- like today -- I am not too good. I have a hard time with driving, especially to work in the morning. My eyes seem to get tired and I feel dizzy and can't concentrate too well. I mean, I always make it to my destination fine, but I'll feel sick at times as well. When I got to work today I felt incredibly dizzy. It may be due to a lack of adequate sleep, since my daughter is sick and was up late last night, so I only slept 5 hours. I've been to an Opthamologist in the past and he said my eyes are fine, but I may look into going back to a Neurologist to see if he can find anything.

Oh, I know about the mind game. I used to think (Before I ever had a panick attack) that people could merely think positive and they'd be fine. NOPE. Anxiety is a huge issue that most people, especially those who have never experienced it to a degree of ours, don't understand the complexity of. I know it seems stupid to get anxious over, say, going to a restaurant when I've been to a million of them! But I can't control it, and when the ball gets rolling it gets hard to stop, although I've gotten better at that practice. I guess it comes in time to many that suffer. The medication has helped in that aspect substantially, and I have actually talked myself out of a severe panick attack a couple of weeks ago. But still, the underlying problems still exist as a whole.

Yeah, I guess no one notices generally. I mean, when I don't have the panick symptoms and/or the physical manifestations, yeah, I just seem quiet. But when it got so bad that my stomach hurt and nausea overtook me to a degree in which I was hospitalized, that was a bit more noticeable lol. That and when I had my worst panick attack where I was as white as a ghost and couldn't sit up right, that's noticeable as well. But that was all before I got on my current medication (I had seen another psychiatrist a year or so earlier, but he was TERRIBLE! He prescribed me Xanax and Adderall only...). I am pretty good at covering up when I get into a panick, though. But to the person I may seem quiet because I am battling a war in my head of trying to manage the symptoms and panick. You understand.

Yeah, my career is OK. It's not what I wanted to do, but it's a job with benefits, OK pay and a pension. I feel inadequate compared to others who make more than me, but I am in a decent place. I don't know if I will ever be a police officer like I want to be, but oh well... There are worse things in life, right? I hope to return to the fire department, and sometimes I feel OK enough to do so, but other times like right now I don't feel nearly well enough, and I need consistency in regards to my health since it may get someone else hurt. At the end before I resigned (Some of my last calls) I was getting bad chest pains, nausea, panick, and had no idea as to why! No one could find anything.

I appreciate the kind words. Each day is a battle, but over the long haul I've seen progress.

If you ever want to talk, I am here!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: