Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Liver Disease Fear  (Read 183 times)

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Liver Disease Fear
« on: September 02, 2014, 01:26:51 PM »
Hi there,

A year and a half ago I started to have really bad back pain. I had some MRI's and a CT Scan and the doc found a small cyst on my T12 where my rib meets my spine. Anyways, the pain is still there but I have noticed a correlation of the pain being worse after I drink alcohol, which made me think it might be my liver. I have had my liver tested twice in the past year and 1/2 and both times have been normal; however, on the last liver test one of my enzymes was on the high end of normal (30) out of 32, but my albumin was low as was my alkaline phosphate. I am wondering why there is a correlation though. Terrified I have liver failure!

Help!
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Liver Disease Fear
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
Have you ever though that drinking just doesn't agree with you? If you only have issues when you drink, it would make sense not to do so. Besides, it's proven that alcohol and anxiety disorder don't mix and a no no if you're on meds.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 01:48:53 PM »
Yeah, maybe it doesn't, but why would I have more back pain after I drink? Anyone? Could it be my liver even though everything is normal?

Looking for some reassurance.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
Can anyone help me? I am FREAKING out!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 04:15:31 PM »
Your albumin being low isn't a good thing, but the Alk Phos is.  Albumin can go down for lots of reasons though.

I have autoimmune liver disease and my back over my liver will hurt.  Your liver can become inflamed with lots of things, just not alchohol.  Fats, etc.  Could be your gall bladder though.

What is this cyst?  Is it on your spine?  Was it biopsied?
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
Hi, sorry! I didn't mean albumin, I mean bilibrium....it's not low...just on low end of normal, which I was told is a good thing. I was also told since the pain isn't accompanied with nausea, upset stomach etc. that it probably isn't gallbladder related. The cyst is on my spine and no it was not biopsied because it is benign....they are monitoring it with repeat scans every 6 months.

My back hurts on my right mid to low back - below my breastbone and beneath.

Thanks!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 05:21:39 PM »
If you bilirubin is normal, the chances you are in liver failure are slim to none.  Liver disease doesn't always present with pain anyway.

With levels like yours I wouldn't be concerned about the liver at all.  I assume your ALT and AST are normal as well?

Now your liver can get inflamed, but the liver is a very resiliant organ and as long as  you are kind to it, it will heal itself.  Only if you are in cirrhosis will it not.  But I can tell you right now, you aren't in cirrhosis. 

The pain could be the cyst.  You said your ALK Phos is normal?   The disease I have the ALK phos will start to go up.

Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:12:47 PM »
You can speculate about this or that reading but as posted, there was nothing in any previous tests that would indicate an issue.  OR... as I mentioned earlier, your body just isn't agreeing with alcohol.  I drank, smoked and partied like a madman in my youth. I paid for it dearly with heart disease, heart attacks and head and neck cancer. For the HA sufferer, to partake in these things is counter-productive and just plain (forgive my candor) dumb. If you fear liver disease, why would you even do it? Since cancer, I can't tolerate wine or spirits. I can and do enjoy a good beer "occasionally" (1-2 times a month) with a meal but my body cannot tolerate anymore than that and it let's me know. It's wise to pay attention to your body. And smoking? Pffft, If I want to *****, I can start again but since I prefer living..... ;)

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »
Thank you ColdHands. Yes, my ALT and AST were normal. One was on the high end of normal, but still normal.

Thanks for your help!

Bookmark and Share

Tags: